Ambassador Allowance

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is it such a secret? How many and how much do the Northern club players get paid by the AFL?

I'm all for promoting the game and expansion to build AFL into a national sport. However, the disclosure of this ensures integrity of the game.

I'm all for promoting the game and expansion to build AFL into a national sport. However, the disclosure of this ensures integrity of the game.

I'd like to see all payments outside the cap, including this, third party deals etc be published.

AFL and integrity shouldn't be used in the same sentence. AFL is the WWF of professional football codes.

How does Pendlebury qualify as an AFL Ambassador? Does anyone know other players getting this? What work does this involve, how many hours, what is the payment, are all clubs allowed to nominate a player?

How does this differentiate from AFL Multicultural Ambassadors?

How much does he (and others) get paid for that?
Does anyone have any information or is it hush hush?

I’m guessing whatever the payment is it’s outside the TPP.

I'd like to see all payments outside the cap, including this, third party deals etc be published.

It is very easy to see how Buddy has promoted the game in Sydney by his mentions in all sorts of media & across codes in sport.
There is no such equivalent in the heartland States.

Reality on transparency is the AFLPA are happy for the players to keep it quiet.

It's an easy fix, just give every club a certain amount of cap free 'ambassador' money, then it's fair for all.

It is very easy to see how Buddy has promoted the game in Sydney by his mentions in all sorts of media & across codes in sport.
There is no such equivalent in the heartland States.

Reality on transparency is the AFLPA are happy for the players to keep it quiet.

My frustrations are things like the "Player X received $5M from a large land deal outside Point Y....."

How did the player get this ?? Did he purchase it ?? Or was it a donation from a wealthy benefactor connected to the club ?? If it was the latter, should this be included in the cap ?? I think everyone knows there is rorting going on - but no one wants to mention it....

My frustrations are things like the "Player X received $5M from a large land deal outside Point Y....."

How did the player get this ?? Did he purchase it ?? Or was it a donation from a wealthy benefactor connected to the club ?? If it was the latter, should this be included in the cap ?? I think everyone knows there is rorting going on - but no one wants to mention it....

It's a fine line between players being provided with investment opportunities and rorting, especially where players are given interests in joint ventures and the like for what is arguably below market value. Who decides what's market value in these situations?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a fine line between players being provided with investment opportunities and rorting, especially where players are given interests in joint ventures and the like for what is arguably below market value. Who decides what's market value in these situations?

Agreed. The concern is that “are some players getting more/better opportunities via the club they play for” and does this distort the level playing field ??

I figure there are 3 types of money players get.

1. Salary.
2. Related 3rd party payments (money outside their salary that they wouldn't get if they weren't at a particular club).
3. Unrelated 3rd party payments. (money they'd get anywhere they played).

Of course, the lines between 2 and 3 can be pretty blurred, and even the 'clear' ones aren't totally clear (e.g. playing for a big club makes you more marketable, even if it's not directly connected).

I'm fine with the AFL making ambassador payments (and paying for coaching/promotion gigs and the like) going to players from clubs where '2' just isn't as likely (mostly NSW/QLD, but also smaller clubs to a degree), but there is also an element of practicality....Such as when appealing to the Muslim community, you want player(s) who are Muslim, has a profile and lives somewhat near significant Muslim populations (so Houli might qualify, even though he doesn't fit the criteria I've mentioned).

That said, I'm not sure Houli does receive any money directly...Money certainly does go to his foundation (which promotes football in Muslim communities, so it's just a vehicle for what the AFL can/should pay for anyway), but I'm not sure much, if any, goes into his pocket.

For '3', I'm not sure anything can realistically be done. The AFLPA would have a fit if the AFL did anything on that front beyond some shuffling at the edges of defining what is and isn't club related.

On a somewhat related note, there was an article recently on just how marketable Dusty is...Suffice to say, when he walks away from the game, he'll have made more money from the game than any other player, and what Richmond gives him (they say $1.3M) will probably just be a small part of that. That he plays for a big club and has starred in 3 winning grand finals clearly helps there, but from the article, it's more about him being 'the best player in the game' (their description), a unique individual (look, attitude, etc) and a different player management approach (Carr's background was celebrity management rather than sports, so different avenues opened up....This part could be an element of self promotion on Carr's part though).

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/more-sports/power-100-why-dustin-martin-is-australias-most-marketable-athlete/news-story/254dfcdd8015efd8b5619e86fd206c65

On topic though, it all qualifies as being payments unrelated to the club, and indicates that more and more money can and is being made there, especially for star players. As the proportion of a players (potential) earnings outside the cap grows, it has the potential to unbalance the entire system. (which less face it, isn't exactly the most stable thing to start with).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back