Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we go a specific skills coach IE Tackling, then it would be wise to look at coaches from other sports like Rugby League. That game is built on tackling and you can see the blokes who grew up with it (eg. Charlie Cameron and Kieran Jack) and their ability to nail tackles. Melbourne Storm are a good example- they hired AFL coaches to teach them to kick and dominated with it (Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk were masters of putting a ball on a dime). They then hired JuJitsu coaches to teach them how to grapple and until many of their tactics were outlawed (crusher tackles, chicken wings etc) but they still had a couple of very successful seasons using those skills.

AFL clubs have been using rugby tackling coaches for decades. Tackling is about intent, you either want to tackle or you are adverse to it. Some players just are not into it and unfortunately we have some of them in our best 22.

Faaaaaaark me i have just recovered from trying to forget the trade barrass and mcgovern suggestions. Then i see this garbage.
Time to go poor myself another drink

I mentioned trading Gov or Barrass on another thread, but was joking!
Was just shaking the bag up!
The top teams above us don't have a Gov or Barrass and they get by just fine, better than us in fact?
Anyway, pour/poor yourself another drink and enjoy!

I mentioned in another thread but it should probably go here that Matt Barber our controversial strength and conditioning "guy" who added muscle and size to our early 90's players has passed. A lot of Vic eyebrows were raised when our new look team took to the field in 1991 after a pre season on the weights.

AFL clubs have been using rugby tackling coaches for decades. Tackling is about intent, you either want to tackle or you are adverse to it. Some players just are not into it and unfortunately we have some of them in our best 22.
You wouldn't know it. I rarely see a rugby league tackling technique from AFL players unless they have a RL background.

You wouldn't know it. I rarely see a rugby league tackling technique from AFL players unless they have a RL background.
I feel like players are concerned about committing too much and taking themselves out of the equation for winning possession of the footy.

So unless they outnumber the opposition around the contest, players seem to go with half assed attempts to apply pressure rather than to incapacitate the bloke with the ball.

It doesn’t help that umpires are less likely to penalise for dropping the footy - if you commit and force a spillage but you are now out of the contest, there’s every chance the opposition has just dropped it at the feet of one of their teammates who can run off with it.

I wouldnt be surprised if the best tackling sides are the ones that swarm around the loose ball, so that their players are able to commit more fully to the tackle.

Either way i reckon it has to be about intent rather than strength or technique. There’s too much fluctuation to be explained by anything other than intent/conscious decisions

Just curious, how does an angry Pete Carroll and his one Super Bowl in a decade at the Seahawks fit in with your theory that a coach needs to be a hardarse to build a “dynasty” and win multiple premierships?

View attachment 986812

Its the passion, its palpable. The man stands for something, and he clearly has standards by which he holds his team too. If they are doing great, he tells them, and if they are doing poorly he really tells them. Not praising them that they are doing a great job, and then still telling them they are doing a fairly good job when they clearly are not.

But, you are correct: the man has won a single title...........for the moment. Seahawks looking good this year, and should they win, it will lend more credence to my "nice guy coaches" don't build dynastys school of thought.

I still very much stand by my statement. Plenty of nice guys coaches can win a title. Very few have won more then one title. And there is not a single nice guy coach in world sport who has built a dynasty by winning more then 2. They need that capacity to be a mongrel sometimes and deliver a stinging rebuke.

As it pertains to Simpson............well, my opinion is that he needs a harder edge

Just curious, how does a fired up Pete Carroll and his one Super Bowl in a decade at the Seahawks fit in with your theory that a coach needs to be a hardarse to build a “dynasty” and win multiple premierships?

View attachment 986812

Pete Carroll is not a hardarse coach in fact, he is well known as one of the most a player friendly coaches in the NFL.

Now if you want the epitome of a hard arsed coach then look no further than Bill Belichick...... totally ruthless thats why he has 6 super bowl rings in twenty seasons and was runner up in 3 others.

By the way, I am in no way, in the " we want win another premiership under Simpson camp".

With this list he is as good a chance as any of the contending coaches, like any list and game plan it needs a tweak every year and some years both list and game plan need bigger tweaks than other years.

Last edited:
All the guys playing the the AFL should all be self motivated, driven and disciplined to a point that requires very little direction in terms of how ruthless they should be at executing the teams plans. Coaches should be communicating an expectation to the players and what the overall plan is. They then delegate to senior leaders and line coaches to make it happen. If you find yourself continually 'berating' players to play to the teams expected level then thats not a coaching issue, thats an individuals players issue which needs to be addressed with that individual. And if you find their performance if not up to expectations and standards, they are gone, plain and simple.

You learn these things pretty quickly in places like the Army when you see the difference between how a grunt unit operates versus say the SAS. Members of the SAS are so motivated and driven that they require very little if any direction and the only outcome that matters is the outcome of the objective at hand. The quality and performance expectation check is a matter of how they are performing in their eyes of their teams mates and if those exceptions are being met or not. You lose motivation, drive and and a win at all costs (for your mates) attitude you will lose when things get tough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Simpson doesn’t show any passion?

View attachment 986829

Passion works both ways, both positive and negative, carrot and stick. At the moment there is plenty of carrot, and well, we haven't really ever seen the stick broken out!

Simpsons problem is that he is happy when we are doing well, but still fairly happy when we are not doing well. That's a weakness.

In football parlance, that's akin to lauding a player for working offensively, but then wondering why they are leaking goals because they are not defending.

We could call it the "Nat Fyfe" conundrum

I have a challenge: find me some footage of Simpson blowing his stack, getting mad, delivering a spray, etc. I would wager you would find that you cant, because its never really happened. Compare that to multiple flag winning coaches, Clarkson, Hardwick etc. If you type for example "Alastair Clarkson spray" into Google, there is a myriad of articles.

Again, i reiterate: I don't expect Simpson to be delivering a bake every week, nor every second week, nor even every month. But, in the course of a season, he should be capable of roasting the boys when they are underperforming sometimes

Passion works both ways, both positive and negative, carrot and stick. At the moment there is plenty of carrot, and well, we haven't really ever seen the stick broken out!

Great. I still don't see what any of this has to do with the Pete Carroll video you posted.

I have a challenge: find me some footage of Simpson blowing his stack, getting mad, delivering a spray, etc. I would wager you would find that you cant, because its never really happened. Compare that to multiple flag winning coaches, Clarkson, Hardwick etc. If you type for example "Alastair Clarkson spray" into Google, there is a myriad of articles.

Cool, a wager. How much are we wagering? You name the stakes.

Great. I still don't see what any of this has to do with the Pete Carroll video you posted.

Cool, a wager. How much are we wagering? You name the stakes.

Spoken like a man already guessing he will win haha!

Let me guess: Will Schofield copping one from Simpson right?

Sometimes my man, its just worth putting these things in a thread just to antagonize you a bit and watch you diligently follow through ;)

Its cool though. As per Pete Carrol, i personally like the passion he conveys. Its not for everyone, but personally i think Simpson could use a lot more of it

Simpsons problem is that he is happy when we are doing well, but still fairly happy when we are not doing well. That's a weakness.

In football parlance, that's akin to lauding a player for working offensively, but then wondering why they are leaking goals because they are not defending.

Again, i reiterate: I don't expect Simpson to be delivering a bake every week, nor every second week, nor even every month. But, in the course of a season, he should be capable of roasting the boys when they are underperforming sometimes
Hardwick coached Richmond for 8 years before they won a premiership.

Do you reckon after the first 7 years he suddenly got aggro or is it maybe
he finally had a good side?

IMO, it's all about respect, not anger.
Players who want to play for the coach.
Pagan couldn't get near it at Carlton after they got decimated in the draft.

A couple of hot heads like Wallace and Eade.
How many premierships did they win again?

How many flags did Rodney Eade win?

I have a challenge: find me some footage of Simpson blowing his stack, getting mad, delivering a spray, etc. I would wager you would find that you cant, because its never really happened.

Here you go.

Simmo’s foul spray caught on TV doco

It was the expletive-laden Adam Simpson spray that summed up how West Coast were going at the lowest point of their Queensland hub.
“What we’re delivering here is f...ing so unacceptable and the season is slipping away, so we need to get our heads out of our a...s, coaches included,” the Eagles coach said in the team meeting after the thrashing against Port Adelaide in round four.
The behind-the-scenes footage, part of the Amazon Prime documentary Making Their Mark, shows Simpson losing patience with his charges in the wake of their third loss on the trot in the Sunshine State.
In 15 days the Eagles lost to Gold Coast, Brisbane and the Power by a total of 122 points.
The premiership coach showed glimpses of frustration during the Suns’ boilover, calling his team “big heads” at three-quarter time before calling the result “embarrassing”.
He tried for an inspirational pre-hub speech, holding the 2018 cup aloft while detailing the sacrifice of those at the club who had lost their jobs.
But things reached boiling point a month later with a winloss record of 1-3 and a shot percentage.
“We will always go into bat for you guys publicly and will never, ever go against that, but internally you need to understand f...ing reality about how we’re playing,” Simpson said.
“We need to sharpen up. It’s hard because we’re at home and the footy club at the same time.
“We try to give you a bit of autonomy but you’re taking the f...ing piss, some of you blokes.
“Your standards have slipped. No dietitian so some blokes just f...ing do what they want with no consequences, and you know who you are. Grow up and take responsibility, don’t wait for someone else to give it to you. We need to lift our standards, boys.”
West Coast lost only two games for the rest of the regular season.
They belted Sydney five days after Simpson delivered the address.
“We’ve got a game in five days, we’ve got an opportunity in five days for a bit of redemption,” Simpson said.
“They’re fragile, but they’re saying the same thing about us.
“Both teams have a five-day break, they’re flying up on the day of the game, they don’t want to be here and we’ve got an opportunity to have a win and feel good about ourselves.”
But the damage was done. The Eagles missed the top four on percentage for the second straight year before an elimination final loss to Collingwood by a point at Optus Stadium.
The seven-part series will premiere on Amazon Prime on Friday.
It follows players and executives from six teams — Nic Naitanui, Stuart Dew, Stephen Coniglio, Eddie Betts, Rory Sloane and Richmond’s senior leadership team Peggy O’Neal, Brendon Gale and Damien Hardwick.

Almost like a passing glance at coaches box footage and press conference answers don’t give a full indication of the reality within the four walls of a footy club.

He gave a spray in front of a documentary crew, give him an automatic extension.

Here you go.

Almost like a passing glance at coaches box footage and press conference answers don’t give a full indication of the reality within the four walls of a footy club.

He gave a spray in front of a documentary crew, give him an automatic extension.
Looking forward to seeing how this example doesn’t count

Here you go.

Be interesting to see what players were not taking it seriously haha

Looking forward to seeing how this example doesn’t count

They only lost twice for the rest of the H+A after Simmo gave his one and only one career spray.

Not sure what his ******* deal is, why wouldn’t you then give them a spray before the finals and lock in a flag? Softy Simmo at it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back