d8e9_1_b.JPG

Lions losing 04
da66_1_b.JPG

Eagles losing 05
dba6_1_b.JPG

Swans losing 06
d7c3_1_b.JPG

• Banned
The Lions poster looks very nice. Definetly the pick of the bunch.

What I like about WEG's posters is his style has remained consistent throughout the last four or so decades. His caracatures of humans, characters and animals in the 70s look similar to those of recent years. Except for the 06 (or 05) Eagles poster which looks vastly different to the 92 and 94 posters. As an Eagles supporter I personally do not mind this too much. A WEG poster is a WEG poster and I'm happy with that. It's all about the tradition of the artist's work that matters.

IMO, out of all pieces of memorbilia that came after the premiership win, the WEG poster is always the best. I know most would disagree with me which is predictable.

Part proceeds from the sales of the posters go to charitible organisations, kids hospitals and so on. WEG's art has raised millions of dollars for charity throughout the years.

As for the losing posters, I believe they should be non-existent due to the fact they don't represent truth, but they're still intriguing to look at which is why I have put them on here. Don't forget: the losing posters that do exist are not sold on WEG's behalf so (presumably) no profits from sales goes to charity. They also sell for hundreds, too. I suspect a sneaky poster seller has obtained them before they were destroyed. Very cheeky, yet very intriguing to look at. It's the big "what if?".

• Banned
notice they didn't bother making a 2002 premiers poster for the pies.

Underdogs...

I'm sure they did produce '02 Pies posters as they make premiership posters for both teams that are competing in the Grand Final of every year. The posters shown above are very rare, as are any losing WEG posters.

Anyone checked out AFL House in Docklands? There is a hallway in there with lots of original WEG posters in chronological order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple more here that I have images of:

North Melbourne 1998

1998Kangaroos.jpg

Melbourne 2000

2000Demons.jpg

Essendon 2001

2001Bombers.jpg

The whole Eagles poster being the same except the year and the teeth is a bit disappointing, but seeing as they didn't win in 05 I guess its okay. I would be cut if he did the same posters and they were both winning teams.
I also don't like the fact that Barry Hall was on the 06 poster. He used to make two designs - one with the mascot, and one with a player. I prefer the mascot... or to at least have the option.

The whole Eagles poster being the same except the year and the teeth is a bit disappointing, but seeing as they didn't win in 05 I guess its okay. I would be cut if he did the same posters and they were both winning teams.

I think the reason why the '05 Eagles poster was released (with minor adjustments) in '06 is because they didn't win in '05. I somehow doubt the '06 Eagles poster would have been identical to the '05 poster had the Eagles won both grand finals.

I also don't like the fact that Barry Hall was on the 06 poster. He used to make two designs - one with the mascot, and one with a player. I prefer the mascot... or to at least have the option.

Good point.

By the way, thanks for sharing those images. The Dees and Roos posters look especially nice.

By the way the 1987 Hawthorn losing poster is interesting in that it's the same as the 1986 winning poster. So had the hawks beat the blues in the 1987 grand final, the winning posters for 1986 and 1987 would have been the same. Interesting in light of the discussion re WCE 2005/2006 above.

notice they didn't bother making a 2002 premiers poster for the pies.

Underdogs...

They did, and there is one listed on eBay at the moment with a start price of $500.00 It is geniune and came from "WEG'S" personal collection - Just type in WEG Rare or WEG losing side.It comes with a Certificate of Authenticity Signed by WEG and His Widow.

They did, and there is one listed on eBay at the moment with a start price of $500.00 It is geniune and came from "WEG'S" personal collection - Just type in WEG Rare or WEG losing side.It comes with a Certificate of Authenticity Signed by WEG and His Widow.

The 2002 and 2003 Collingwood posters are both listed on eBay at the moment with a start price of $500.00 They are geniune and came from "WEG'S" personal collection - Just type in WEG Rare or WEG losing side. They come with a Certificate of Authenticity Signed by WEG and His Widow.
The 2004 Lions 4peat poster and the 2006 Barry Hall Losing side posters are also listed! Cheers

You can have it, I found one listed on eBay at the moment with a start price of $500.00 It is geniune and came from "WEG'S" personal collection - Just type in WEG Rare or WEG losing side. It comes with a Certificate of Authenticity Signed by WEG and His Widow.

If your looking for original old WEG's go to www.wegart.com.au this is the official site run on behalf of WEG and the family. They are great to deal with and can get really hard to get posters. I see they have just released the Collingwood 2010 Premiership Cards. Should check them out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back