Autopsy AFL 2020 First Preliminary Final - Port v Tigers Fri October 16th 7:50pm AEDT / 7:20pm AEST (AO) Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Richmond by a goal or less

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 81 37.5%
  • Richmond by 7 - 20

Votes: 71 32.9%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 18 8.3%
  • Richmond by a lot

Votes: 21 9.7%
  • Draw - Port in extra time

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Draw - Richmond in extra time

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

While i was yearning for a tiger loss like everyone, i didn't see the umpiring as a factor
You obviously miss their blocking and holding in packs of multiple people in defence. Dixon was not allowed to jump at the ball yet got 1 free kick for the whole game. Then near end Riewoldt gets a free for both players holding each other

Hinkley: i dont judge the umpires. It is a high pressure game for them too. we lost the game, it wasnt lost on one decision.

journo baiting hinkley, Ken didn't buy it. For someone who just lost a prelim he was calm, measured and mature, didn't give the media what they wanted. That's someone who must be respected.
Hinkley is a ripper. Nothing but respect for him.

Richmond extra back murdered port, how port allowed that was poor coaching. Port had a 60/40
Momentum split but unless you cash in While it’s your turn Richmond will destroy you.

pretty much summed up the match right there. Port looked the better round the ground most of the night but that wall in defence for the Tiges was a match winner

You obviously miss their blocking and holding in packs of multiple people in defence. Dixon was not allowed to jump at the ball yet got 1 free kick for the whole game. Then near end Riewoldt gets a free for both players holding each other
Salty as!!! Love it 👍

I’m not sure the regular season stat would be relevant then, based on how Richmond have improved so dramatically with clearances (and no doubt other parts of your game). Good tough win, the team did all the right things at the right time, you should be very proud.
I’ve been following this club since the early 80’s. Last night was the best win I’ve seen. Very proud.
Good luck tonight.

What a bunch of drivel. No teams have ever had to do what Victorian teams have had to this year. We are 100 days in a hub, in a hotel away from friends and family. Living in each other’s pockets for that entire time, you think that is like what a normal season is for interstate teams? We play more games in Victoria because there are 10 teams down here and 9 in the one city, of course we are going to play more games in Melbourne but they are mostly neutral games where we have no advantage. We don’t get 10 games at home with a decided home ground advantage against an interstate team. We can finish on top like we did in 2018 and play our 2 “home” finals against fellow mcg tenant clubs for no advantage at all. I’ve always said if you are good enough you win anywhere just like we did last night and what the giants last year and crows in 17 were not good enough to do.
I haven’t complained about what we have been up against this year and neither have the club as it had to be done due to Covid, the only thing I’ve argued against is interstate supporters like you comparing this season to a normal one for Vic teams. It’s delusional and you blokes need to stop the constant whining as it makes you look like fools.

West Coast and Fremantle spent about 70 days - approx 45 in the first hub, 25 or so in the second, in Queensland hubs, plus 14 days in quarantine in the middle of the season, and in West Coast's case, a further 2 weeks in quarantine before their final, then I believe 2 weeks in quarantine after their final. But yeah you're right it's only the Victorian clubs who have made sacrifices. * me.

Just enjoy your win mate.

Just facts....be happy you're the free kick hawthorn of this era. Play dirty as fu** then say umpiring was fine look the count wasn't in our favour
You really are embaressing yourself let it go. Take your one eyed goggles off, umpires made terrible decisions both ways.

Only a few years ago no one had a problem with Byron Pickett knocking guys the fu** out every week. Even Jeremey Cameron has been rubbed out for big weeks for taking defenceless guys out in packs with his elbows and knocking them out, but no one has a problem with him. But Lynch.. He pushed the back of someone's head! What a monster. He gently put his knee on someone's shoulder - the horror! And he gave someone a tummy tap just like the Port player did last night, which no one will give a sh*t about because it was so completely harmless. If Lynch played for a cellar dweller, and people weren't all hysterical due to covid, no one would even notice what he does
I mean, that really just comes with the territory of being a successful side. Every successful team has had pantomime villains and 'love to hate' type players.

Brisbane had Aker and the Scott brothers

Geelong had Stevie J and Scarlett

Hawthorn had Hodge and the other 'unsociable Hawks'

Now it's your turn. When Richmond fall away again, as they inevitably will (nothing lasts forever), everyone will forget about Lynch and the hatred will shift onto someone new.

Just facts....be happy you're the free kick hawthorn of this era. Play dirty as fu** then say umpiring was fine look the count wasn't in our favour
Nearly every thread you are here crying about umpires, i can't believe you even follow footy, try another sport.

As a neutral, i thought the umpires did a pretty good job, they certainly didn't influence the result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me Dixon needs help. Even in the wet. Marshall overs nothing. To me Westhoff or Georgiades are better players. Ladhams didn't have a great night but has potential.

Their mids a bit one paced for mine. Wines, Boak, Rockliff, Powell Pepper. Not much X factor there imo.

It's a weird thing where we seem to just play better with Marshall in the team - I'm sure it's not still the exact stat but at one point this year our winning percentage with Marshall in the team the last couple of years was something crazy high like 90% or something and without him in the team was closer to 50% - but, with no disrespect to the bloke, there are entire games where I can't see what he is offering. You would assume the idea is that he plays a foil to Dixon, but Dixon often still has 3 blokes hanging off him and we don't seem to make Marshall a focus point when that happens so that seemingly isn't it. He pushes up the ground a bit but doesn't seem to set the world in fire when he does. Whatever he is offering, as a supporter I can't really see it.

I would've liked to have seen Westhoff in for the romance of it yesterday but can completely understand leaving Marshall in. Be interesting to see how him and Georgiades go in the battle for that 2nd tall spot going forward.

'facts'...From one of the most one eyed Richmond haters on the board, from a club that routinely gets a massive leg up from the umps (and the league).

Sure.

Don't suppose you noticed any frees that should have gone Richmond's way that weren't called? (this match, or this year, or this decade, I'm sure the answer is the same either way).

Nearly every thread you are here crying about umpires, i can't believe you even follow footy, try another sport.

As a neutral, i thought the umpires did a pretty good job, they certainly didn't influence the result.
He has absolutely no idea that bloke well kid as he sounds like it. It's not just him as the usual suspects whinging about umpires there is plenty in this thread I can name.
Sit on Big Footy all game and just constantly whinge how ******* sad!

Butters and his bumps to players heads is starting to gripe me, what a snipe.

Difference between being a hard/tough player and bumping players in the head.

If he continues he'll become a hated player in the AFL.

Against North Melbourne he was particularly bad, he just keeps going for the head. You'd think he learnt from his suspension, but he nearly did it again last night.

He has absolutely no idea that bloke well kid as he sounds like it. It's not just him as the usual suspects whinging about umpires there is plenty in this thread I can name.
I saw a few crying about the deliberate OOB, if the ump never paid that, i would then say they were crap, they paid them all night.

Yet no-one has said a word about how dumb the Port player was, they knew the umps were paying them.

I saw a few crying about the deliberate OOB, if the ump never paid that, i would then say they were crap, they paid them all night.

Yet no-one has said a word about how dumb the Port player was, they knew the umps were paying them.
Yeah na, commentators and non Richmond haters are just Vic Bias! Clearly gifted Richmond a goal there 🙄.

It's a weird thing where we seem to just play better with Marshall in the team - I'm sure it's not still the exact stat but at one point this year our winning percentage with Marshall in the team the last couple of years was something crazy high like 90% or something and without him in the team was closer to 50% - but, with no disrespect to the bloke, there are entire games where I can't see what he is offering. You would assume the idea is that he plays a foil to Dixon, but Dixon often still has 3 blokes hanging off him and we don't seem to make Marshall a focus point when that happens so that seemingly isn't it. He pushes up the ground a bit but doesn't seem to set the world in fire when he does. Whatever he is offering, as a supporter I can't really see it.

I would've liked to have seen Westhoff in for the romance of it yesterday but can completely understand leaving Marshall in. Be interesting to see how him and Georgiades go in the battle for that 2nd tall spot going forward.

Just don't see him doing a whole lot. Maybe they should actually start using him? Dixon obviously draws attention and usually 2 defenders. Possibly they don't look for him enough.

I mean, that really just comes with the territory of being a successful side. Every successful team has had pantomime villains and 'love to hate' type players.

Brisbane had Aker and the Scott brothers

Geelong had Stevie J and Scarlett

Hawthorn had Hodge and the other 'unsociable Hawks'

Now it's your turn. When Richmond fall away again, as they inevitably will (nothing lasts forever), everyone will forget about Lynch and the hatred will shift onto someone new.

Don't forget your own 'unsociables' in Rooke and Milburn.

Every good team has tough, dirty players.

You have to give credit when credit is due, just saw footage of Tom Lynch getting sprayed with rum and coke and then not long after consoling a young shattered Port fan.... well done Tom Lynch, his on field actions have understandably drawn some ire but as would be the case with almost all divisive players, off field he is more than likely a great guy.

True but I also think the media pile on has been ridiculous. If you look at the things in isolation they are all nothing. Pushing a blokes head in the turf, something every player did when getting up from a pack only a few years ago, a retaliation tummy punch that had no force behind it, a push to Hurley that was crazy to be sent to the tribunal and got thrown out, and a silly knee in the shoulder that while wasn’t a good look again had no force. He’s been painted as the villain, the clean cut blonde guy that has gone from captaining the cellar dwellers straight into 2 grand finals. The media has created the narrative and Joe public has eaten it all up.

Richmond got shafted after the deliberate oob they goaled from but I'm not looking at specific frees or non frees. I'm talking about their defence and how it seems they are immune from blocking and shepparding frees in marking contests. Look what WC had paid against them vs Collingwood 2 weeks ago with 2 minutes remaining. Just would like same rules applied to all teams
So would we though, so would any team. A week ago a Saints player I think it was Jack Steele disposed of the ball after a whistle was blown and a free paid to us. The week before that was a 50 against Shai Bolton.

There are inconsistencies every match in games and between weeks and teams. We might get the rub of some, but we certainly cop our fair share of wrong calls too.

Back