Opinion If Richmond win it this year....

Which team is better?

• Richmond 17-20

• Geelong 07-11

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes once in 13 games or something because we were so easy to beat.

Your forward pressure in that game was so good you only allowed Geelong 19 more inside 50s. It was your forward pressure that got us. We just couldn’t get the ball up the ground.

“GEELONG premiership champion Cameron Ling has sensationally declared this Hawthorn team the greatest of all time after they wrapped up a third straight grand final triumph”

And let’s be frank ... Richmond 2017-20 would run all over Geelong 07-11, footy is played at a much faster pace these days.
Plus Richmond has a much better key forward set up with Lynch and Riewoldt ... you’d be struggling to contain them both.

“GEELONG premiership champion Cameron Ling has sensationally declared this Hawthorn team the greatest of all time after they wrapped up a third straight grand final triumph”

And let’s be frank ... Richmond 2017-20 would run all over Geelong 07-11, footy is played at a much faster pace these days.
Plus Richmond has a much better key forward set up with Lynch and Riewoldt ... you’d be struggling to contain them both.

I’ll be frank. That’s a rubbish statement.

Is Richmond in Year 2 of a three peat?

2013 PF Hawthorn comes from behind to beat Geelong
2019 PF Richmond comes from behind to beat Geelong
2014 PF Hawthorn beats Port in a thriller
2020 PF Richmond beats Port in a thriller
2015 PF Hawthorn beats Freo
2021 PF If Richmond draws Freo it’s on I tells ya!

If Richmond win next Sat the best indicator next year that they’re heading for 3 could be Freo surging up the ladder and on to a meeting in the Prelim.

Good news for Tigers and Dockers fans.

Thanks for replying to an argument I’m not making.

I simply pointed out the notion that we lost due to Hawthorn’s forward pressure as being absolute garbage, which it is

On the rest of your comment, we still have Selwood, Duncan, Hawkins, Ablett, Taylor who all played during that time.

While I think that if you parachuted them into 2020 directly from 2010 yes they’d probably struggle initially, I think it’s fair to say they would make the necessary adjustments

We would roll this Richmond team by 5 goals+......The competition at the top quite simply isn’t as good atm as it was back then.
People say the same thing all the time. Things change. The game has changed. I's a hypothetical question and if the game was played On equal ground and on even terms, who would win? Being unbiased we could beat each other. Richmond of 2017 and 2019 in the finals were a supreme side that steam rolled everyone. That amazing winning sequence last year showed how great they were also coming back from 5 goals down in the wet against the reigning premiers. Half time they were in hot water against us in the prelim.

2011 Geelong looking back at it for me was a great side and one of the best in history smashing the reigning Premiers in the Granny. A side who destroyed us in the prelims the year before, while we were the reiging champs. IMO, That side is as good as anyone in the modern era and one of the best in history. So we would beat the Tigers there. But Richmond of 2017 or 2019 could have got us in 2007 or 2009 on the day.

Except that Geelong team made 4 GFs and 1 PF, had to play one of those GFs against the reigning Premier, and only got one interstate team to bully. All while not getting a home final.

This Richmond team isn't in the conversation. Last time they played a fellow MCG tenant in a final they got pantsed by an American.
I don't think premierships won on the back of input from Stephen Dank and 'The Weapon' are that impressive. But that's just me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Make no mistake.. whilst they’ve been away from home all year, they’ve definitely been given the biggest ride of anyone else. They’re the reigning premier yet got far from then toughest schedule.. including the highest differential of rest days vs opponent and a nice little 7 day break conveniently smack bang in the middle of their condensed fixture. Not having to come to Perth was another one given it was feasible plus being their rotation here this year. They were forced out of Vic, okay let’s make sure literally everything else is in their favour. They’ve been towelled up by Brisbane twice, once by Port and have lost others such as the Saints game. Far from the best side this year and it’ll be another arsey flag if they pull it off. Port or Geelong definitely deserve it more.
Richmond only had to play in Victoria, NSW, QLD, Darwin and Adelaide, whilst West Coast had to travel to QLD. Twice!!!
Outrageous!!!!! It'th all just tho unfair for the Eagleth.

Nobody seriously values any of Richmond's gifted flags outside of Tiger's supporters anyway.

Why is this even a question?
It's salty tears from pathetic sore losers like you that make our flags even more enjoyable.
What is it about the culture over there in Western Australia? There's something really off about it.

Richmond has a lot of Hawthorn 2015 about them imo.

The list is getting on and they're going about it the hard way this finals series (despite this season not being the same). I feel like this (and maybe next year) are their last crack for a while.

I really like Richmond, they're a champion team, not a team of champions (apart from a couple). However I would love it if Brisbane got up tonight and won the flag.

Brisbane 3 peat team still covers everyone IMO. If we snag another this year or in the next couple, then maybe you can start comparing us with 07-11 Cats. Three peats are another level though so still a fair way from Hawks and Lions 3 peat teams.

Its just great to be relevant this late in the year. Cats have been incredible on that front for more than decade..

In terms of talent on paper, it’s laughably not even close. Richmond would probably only have the 5th or 6th best list in the AFL currently. It’s their brand that wins them games/premierships.

Your comment doesn’t make any sense.
It sounds like you’re either poo pooing Geelong for not winning more premierships with a superior list, or giving kudo‘s to Richmond for going as well as they have with a list that only 5th or 6th best in the AFL!

I’d love to know which lists you rate currently better than the Tiges.

It's salty tears from pathetic sore losers like you that make our flags even more enjoyable.
What is it about the culture over there in Western Australia? There's something really off about it.

Don‘t know why you bite, it is clearly jealousy. The Tigers are a great side and for the most part everyone Knows this. Enjoy the great ride mate.

Richmond only had to play in Victoria, NSW, QLD, Darwin and Adelaide, whilst West Coast had to travel to QLD. Twice!!!
Outrageous!!!!! It'th all just tho unfair for the Eagleth.
Wasn’t anything to do with us. Don’t think we were good enough to make it this year regardless (although a full home game allocation might have helped a little). But Richmond as reigning premiers got much more of a leg up than any other Victorian team. They were at a disadvantage due to Victoria’s covid issue but it was more than made up for imo. Laughable that this league preaches “equality and fairness” but only when it suits Richmond it seems. You guys get an absolute ride year after year, on top of the w*nkfest from the media, and in a comp as tight as this it makes all the difference.

Everyone else has to grind through (take a look at what Geelong have had to do this year), while Richmond get the difference made up for them any time it looks like they’ll fall short and sook when things aren’t spoonfed to them. You’re a good side, sure.. but there’s no way in hell its a 3 flags in 4 years list/gameplan. Fairly over the unbalanced comp and different rulebooks for different teams tbh.

Wasn’t anything to do with us. Don’t think we were good enough to make it this year regardless (although a full home game allocation might have helped a little). But Richmond as reigning premiers got much more of a leg up than any other Victorian team. They were at a disadvantage due to Victoria’s covid issue but it was more than made up for imo. Laughable that this league preaches “equality and fairness” but only when it suits Richmond it seems. You guys get an absolute ride year after year, on top of the w*nkfest from the media, and in a comp as tight as this it makes all the difference.

Everyone else has to grind through (take a look at what Geelong have had to do this year), while Richmond get the difference made up for them any time it looks like they’ll fall short and sook when things aren’t spoonfed to them. You’re a good side, sure.. but there’s no way in hell its a 3 flags in 4 years list/gameplan. Fairly over the unbalanced comp and different rulebooks for different teams tbh.
I agree. The Whole league is set up to advantage Richmond.
It'th all just tho unfair.

Back