Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - Stage 4 Restrictions in Place in Vic - Part 4

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
i haven’t worked in months, every day a bit of me dies. But feel free to stay under your blanket as long as you want

The whole idea behind these lockdowns is Protecting lives.
The governments are paying for people to stay home and alive. What else can they do?
They have done everything in their power to keep everyone fed and alive.
The fact people are still complaining and can’t see the whole point of this, has me astonished and frustrated.
Im not saying it’s not hard. Every day is a battle, but the alternative is deaths and loved ones gone!!!
One more week should hopefully be enough. Let’s just hope that when we are allowed to be normal again, we don’t become complacent and follow the Covid rules. Let’s hope!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
If that is true and the test numbers are high we should stay locked down for another week, then start opening up.
Agree, we've done 3 months. If another week or two means we are out of lockdown and don't go back Im all for it.

What we simply cannot have is easing a little too early, then having cases rise to a third wave and locked down again in Summer. End it now, like other states have done. Lock us down to the end of October if it means we are at WA/SA level of freedom on the 1st of November.

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
The whole idea behind these lockdowns is Protecting lives.
The governments are paying for people to say home and alive. What else can they do?
They have done everything in their power to keep everyone fed and alive.
The fact people are still complaining and can’t see the whole point of this, has me astonished and frustrated.
Im not saying it’s not hard. Every day is a battle, but the alternative is deaths and loved ones gone!!!
One more week should hopefully be enough. Let’s just hope that when we are allowed to be normal again, we don’t become complacent and follow the Covid rules. Let’s hope!
Protecting lives lol.. Thats why the Government is subsidising healthy food and gym memberships. Do you know how many AVOIDABLE deaths occur every year? Why isn't the Government forcing us to eat healthy and exercise - why is alcohol and cigarettes still allowed when they cause so many deaths? Your view that this is about protecting lives is inconsistent with reality. Where is Dan's starship trooper police kicking us out of bed to go for a run or hitting the hamburger and beer out of our hands?

Agree, we've done 3 months. If another week or two means we are out of lockdown and don't go back Im all for it.

What we simply cannot have is easing a little too early, then having cases rise to a third wave and locked down again in Summer. End it now, like other states have done. Lock us down to the end of October if it means we are at WA/SA level of freedom on the 1st of November.

New Zealand has proven that approach is the correct one in the end. If you want to stamp it out in the community, do it hard and properly.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
New Zealand has proven that approach is the correct one in the end. If you want to stamp it out in the community, do it hard and properly.
We can't be short sighted. We can't be desperate to get out tomorrow if staying home another week means we are less likely to go back here.

I hope they stick to their 5 day average stage 3 commitment. We are very close to that and if we keep to that commitment likely we may get there with days of 0-3 cases in the next week or so. We are very close here, throwing it away early so we can get out now would be a waste.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
How soon before the herald sun starts putting up articles like “60,000 crowd on the cards for Boxing Day test” and “Victorians must return to the office immediately”

The Herald Sun can usually only do three word titles otherwise they confuse their readers.

BOXING DAY ON

BACK TO WORK

is more like it.

Oh and

ANDREWS CHINA BAD

PIES SIGN STAR

Protecting lives lol.. Thats why the Government is subsidising healthy food and gym memberships. Do you know how many AVOIDABLE deaths occur every year? Why isn't the Government forcing us to eat healthy and exercise - why is alcohol and cigarettes still allowed when they cause so many deaths? Your view that this is about protecting lives is inconsistent with reality. Where is Dan's starship trooper police kicking us out of bed to go for a run or hitting the hamburger and beer out of our hands?

BLAH BLAH BLAH.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No logic in the protecting lives line otherwise they could save hundreds each year by banning cars.
They could probably save hundreds of lives by making roadworthy tests mandatory for all registered vehicles every 2 years. The amount of clapped out pieces of s**t hooning around on our roads is appalling. Not to mention all the perfectly good cars out there with bald tyres.
/rant

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
the difference being thats peoples choices

people dont have a choice if you become and asymptomatic superspreader and infect a whole bunch of folk and they die.

i find it quite instructive that people are willing to let a percentage of the population die because its impeding them from making money.

ive been doing around 1/4 of my usual takings now for months - id rather take a quarter than have people die of my selfishness.

No logic in the protecting lives line otherwise they could save hundreds each year by banning cars.
You can't visit your mum in her retirement village and infect her with "fatal car crash".

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
the difference being thats peoples choices

people dont have a choice if you become and asymptomatic superspreader and infect a whole bunch of folk and they die.

i find it quite instructive that people are willing to let a percentage of the population die because its impeding them from making money.

ive been doing around 1/4 of my usual takings now for months - id rather take a quarter than have people die of my selfishness.

One thing I've been thinking about is how did previous generations go through something like the Second World War.

For example, if you were British, your news was censored, your mail was censored, you had curfews, your food was rationed, if you were a male between 18 and 41 you were conscripted for service, not to mention you could be bombed in your home or your children were sent away to the country.

I get that this is not a war but are we really just a generation of whiners or were there people back then complaining just as much?

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
God this gets more pathetic by the day. Sutton is a disgrace and a flat out liar. Multiple emails where he has acknowledged that private security will be used in march then turning up to the inquiry and lying saying he was unaware private security would be used until after the outbreak had begun in may. How can these people just lie. It's taken the age and sky news to bring this to the attention of the inquiry which is run by a woman who lives in a nursing home and the girl asking questions who is still in high school
Like Fauci in the US, Sutton's is an apolitical position, yet somehow the media are now trying to politicise his role and "Dan" him.

Yes there was an outbreak which appears to have been a result of a breach in duty by a hotel manager at Rydges, or possibly a security guard, which has consequently become a political tool serving an opposition/media agenda to discredit the standing state government. What if it were a janitor at the hotel responsible for taking the virus beyond the walls of the hotel? Would the ADF have been doing the cleaning of the hotel as part of their assigned duties too. The whole hotel quarantine for returned travelers was always going to be a perilous concept, hence our federal government's decision to effectively wash their hands of it from the get-go, even though international borders are under their jurisdiction. I'm sure they'd have gladly thrown Gladys under the bus too for Ruby Princess and Newmarch House if she'd been of the opposite political persuasion. And as has been pointed out on this thread already, ADF personnel manning checkpoints have been responsible for numerous breaches of the "Ring of Steel" out of Melbourne - they're a long way from the panacea to all the issues that the Dan-fixated media and federal government would have us believe.

The chief reason for the second wave in Melbourne/Victoria was family gatherings. The spread through the public housing towers was a direct result of family gatherings. As it looks, this was triggered by some sort of a super-spreader who worked hotel quarantine. It appears to be a result of Islamic festivities, but could just as easily have been within one of our many Indian, south-east Asian, or even Anglo communities. Notwithstanding the genetic mutation at the outset, he/she could've easily contracted the virus from a meatworks, a hospital, an aged care facility, a high-rise office block, or one of the many other high-risk institutions. If in late-April/early-May we'd buckled when the media were baying for the easing of restrictions to allow for Anzac Day marches to proceed, or Mother's Day parties to be allowed, we could've easily triggered the second wave from one or more of these family gatherings at that stage. As it turns out on what we now know, Anzac Day marches would've been very low risk, given they would be conducted outdoors and could've easily been included appropriate physical distancing and the wearing of masks. Thankfully we didn't though, as we might've had a lot more deceased old diggers if they hadn't properly implemented the necessary precautions - we weren't quite as savvy back then. Indoor Mothers Day celebrations would've been a disaster waiting to unfold.

The second major flaw has been in contact tracing. Antiquated is how I would describe some of our practices in medical health here in Victoria. For instance, only very recently (like, the last couple of years) have we started moving away from the dependence on the fax machine for sending scripts from the medical practice to local pharmacies. And the DHHS has been so localised in many respects that one hand simply doesn't know what the other is doing. Yes, we have strict medical privacy laws for a number good reasons, but communication between relevant components of the service has prevented the important transference of crucial tracing and tracking data. I mean seriously, the use of a paper trail and a whiteboard for contact tracing? In this day and age! And as for the $65million Covidsafe tracing app that our federal government coerced us all to install back in April as a means to contract trace - it has not been able to identify a single source of the virus that hadn't already been traced by other means (even the use of paper and a whiteboard!).

At present, whatever the source and reason of the second wave here in Victoria, I am just very thankful that we have had a state government and state populous that has rallied brilliantly to save so many lives and get us back into a situation that many places who were actually better off than us in July would only fantasise about right at this moment.

And the Tiges are into the grand final.

Last edited:

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Like Fauci in the US, Sutton's is an apolitical position, yet somehow the media are now trying to politicise his role and "Dan" him.

Yes there was an outbreak which appears to have been a result of a breach in duty by a hotel manager at Rydges, or possibly a security guard, which has consequently become a political tool serving an opposition/media agenda to discredit the standing state government. What if it were a janitor at the hotel responsible for taking the virus beyond the walls of the hotel? Would the ADF have been doing the cleaning of the hotel as part of their assigned duties too. The whole hotel quarantine for returned travelers was always going to be a perilous concept, hence our federal government's decision to effectively wash their hands of it from the get-go, even though international borders are under their jurisdiction. I'm sure they'd have gladly thrown Gladys under the bus too for Ruby Princess and Newmarch House if she'd been of the opposite political persuasion. And as has been pointed out on this thread already, ADF personnel manning checkpoints have been responsible for numerous breaches of the "Ring of Steel" out of Melbourne - they're a long way from the panacea to all the issues that the Dan-fixated media and federal government would have us believe.

The chief reason for the second wave in Melbourne/Victoria was family gatherings. The spread through the public housing towers was a direct result of family gatherings. As it looks, this was triggered by some sort of a super-spreader who worked hotel quarantine. It appears to be a result of Islamic festivities, but could just as easily have been within one of our many Indian, south-east Asian, or even Anglo communities. Notwithstanding the genetic mutation at the outset, he/she could've easily contracted the virus from a meatworks, a hospital, an aged care facility, a high-rise office block, or one of the many other high-risk institutions. If in late-April/early-May we'd buckled when the media were baying for the easing of restrictions to allow for Anzac Day marches to proceed, or Mother's Day parties to be allowed, we could've easily triggered the second wave from one or more of these family gatherings at that stage. As it turns out on what we now know, Anzac Day marches would've been very low risk, given they would be conducted outdoors and could've easily been included appropriate physical distancing and the wearing of masks. Thankfully we didn't though, as we might've had a lot more deceased old diggers if they hadn't properly implemented the necessary precautions - we weren't quite as savvy back then. Indoor Mothers Day celebrations would've been a disaster waiting to unfold.

The second major flaw has been in contact tracing. Antiquated is how I would describe some of our practices in medical health here in Victoria. For instance, only very recently (like, the last couple of years) have we started moving away from the dependence on the fax machine for sending scripts from the medical practice to local pharmacies. And the DHHS has been so localised in many respects that one hand simply doesn't know what the other is doing. Yes, we have strict medical privacy laws for a number good reasons, but communication between relevant components of the service has prevented the important transference of crucial tracing and tracking data. I mean seriously, the use of a paper trail and a whiteboard for contact tracing? In this day and age! And as for the $65million Covidsafe tracing app that our federal government coerced us all to install back in April as a means to contract trace - it has not been able to identify a single source of the virus that hadn't already been traced by other means (even the use of paper and a whiteboard!).

At present, whatever the source and reason of the second wave here in Victoria, I am just very thankful that we have had a state government and state populous that has rallied brilliantly to save so many lives and get us back into a situation that many places who were actually better off than us in July would only fantasise about right at this moment.

And the Tiges are into the grand final.

You were going so well until that last sentence.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I agree.

End cancer research now.

Prevent all death, or prevent none.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
One thing I've been thinking about is how did previous generations go through something like the Second World War.

For example, if you were British, your news was censored, your mail was censored, you had curfews, your food was rationed, if you were a male between 18 and 41 you were conscripted for service, not to mention you could be bombed in your home or your children were sent away to the country.

I get that this is not a war but are we really just a generation of whiners or were there people back then complaining just as much?
I think the myth of British stoicism is just that, a myth.

Plus, they didn't have social media, and a letter to the papers, bitching, was not getting published.

So it was pretty easy for the government to talk about how well the British people were coping, even if they were not.

Not the case now days where every whiner had a window to the world.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back