Bluemour Melting Pot XXV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued here ...

Our woes are not solved by bringing n quality kicks. We need good inside mids. Oliver in our tram makes us an immediately better team. And Ed is not going to be around for a fair while longer

Our woes of having a team full of sh** kicks are certainly not solved by bringing in one of the worst kicks in the AFL.

This rumour never made much sense and appears to be petering out now anyway... in my opinion that's a good thing.

Our woes of having a team full of sh** kicks are certainly not solved by bringing in one of the worst kicks in the AFL.

This rumour never made much sense and appears to be petering out now anyway... in my opinion that's a good thing.

Edit: I meant to say that our woes are not solved by only bringing in quality kicks. I agree, we have shonky kicks in our team, and Oliver is not a good kick of the footy. But he brings in qualities that we lack and would immediately make us a better side.

Williams and Saad are perfect for our club. I would front load their 2021 contracts with the money we have spare currently.
I'd trade pick 7 to the Hawks for pick 21 and their future 1st. Their rebuild starts now and have them back themself in to finish higher next year while we death ride them.
21 and 27 go to * for Saad. It's overs imo, but these picks will be pushed back a few spots.
Williams, Saad, Charlie, Kemp, Newman and Marchbank are really all "new" to our 2021 team with expected growth into our young guys.

Expect to move up the ladder in 2021 and assessing our needs once again. Go into the 2021 trade/draft period with hopefully a top 5 pick (from the hawks) along with our own 2021 and 2022 1sts. Will give us plenty of leverage.

Just my thoughts

Not bad. If our 'dream' player doesn't come about, this is the path I feel to be best for the club.

Saad and Williams are wonderful additions to our best 22. Next year though.....final pieces for sustained success.

Suggest people take it easy Sharpie-ing Kemp into the Round 1 midfield. Yet to debut, off a knee, chances of him impacting in first year are negligible. No reason not to be excited to see what he can do - but I'd take a biiiiiiiig chill pill in terms of expecting much straight away.
Lucky it'll be his second year then ;)

Different Smiths - Devin, Issac, Morrisey, Marr

I should clarify.

Dodoro asking for Worpel and pick 4 from Hawthorn for Hawthorn free agent Isaac Smith.

I can understand both points of view re: Oliver. Gun player, no doubt, but for what we'd to give up to get him I'd rather just see how next season pans out and target him again if need be once he is OOC.

With another year into Setterfield and some exposure for Kemp, I don't actually think he's that necessary

Merrett as a FA at the end of next season makes a lot more sense.

He’s a proven commodity while Setters has that potential and Kemp is totally unknown.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Edit: I meant to say that our woes are not solved by only bringing in quality kicks. I agree, we have shonky kicks in our team, and Oliver is not a good kick of the footy. But he brings in qualities that we lack and would immediately make us a better side.

Agree to a point. We'd win more clearances with him in the team - that is a fact.

The guy doesn't run defensively, has made an artform of hospital handballs, has more clangers than anyone, doesn't kick goals or score assists.

If we get him look forward to 5 years of Gov style posts in here - variations on:

"We gave up X and Y to get him and he cost big $.... blah blah and all he does is butcher it."

He’s a proven commodity while Setters has that potential and Kemp is totally unknown.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agreed, but for what he’s going to cost and for what we already have I’d wait until the end of next season when he’s OOC to evaluate if we still need him.

It also really ties up our cap having 2x million dollar players on our list, and prevents us from going after someone we might really need (Merrett).

He has a higher kicking efficiency than Cripps and a higher combined disposal efficiency. Significantly more meters gained.
Aside from Neale and Steele, his kicking efficiency is pretty much on par with other leading clearance getters. Clangers and turnovers aren't too ridiculous.
1602899861552.png

While I dont disagree he wouldnt immediately make us a better side, he isnt bring qualities we are lacking. We have those qualities, how much more of them we need is debatable.

Merrett brings much more improvement than Oliver. So does Wines for that matter as he is a much more polished player. The poll in this thread is an indictment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliver does generate play though and makes for a good distributor. One can't deny him that.
I also think we look at stats a little too harshly when applied to inside midfielders.

If I had a choice I'd still prefer Merrett but can understand the appeal Oliver would have.

Absolutely love an inside Oliver fishing it to a player in space on the outside

Not bad. If our 'dream' player doesn't come about, this is the path I feel to be best for the club.

Saad and Williams are wonderful additions to our best 22. Next year though.....final pieces for sustained success.
Exactly. We still have so many moving pieces. Saad and Williams is a massive win. Let's run with this, front load and re-sign who we need to.

2022 is the big dance imo

“Neither Melbourne, neither Carlton, neither the manager has mentioned Clayton Oliver in any way shape or form."

This statement from Garry Lyon, is it likely Carlton (and perhaps Oliver's manager) would tell him though, if something was happening?

Especially Oliver

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back