Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really is exciting what JLo has done he really is making a strong brand and system that should lead to long term success.

I am actually finding a few similarities between JLo first year and ross first year in 2012 with onfield progess. Obivously this year has had more challenges and we have run out of time to make finals in a 22 game season we may have got there.

But you look back at 2012 it took 13 to 14 games to get confidence in the new system and then we went bang at the backend of that year winning 9 of our last 10 into a semi final defeat to Adelaide off a 6 day break.

Compared to this year started off slow took about 10 games to really build confidence in plan and structure and now we are storming home again so much so i reckon we could have won a final this year if we had gotten through with the momentum we currently have.

JLo like ross had a few nightmare games eariler in the year that geelong game in the wet was not as ugly as ross first derby in 2012 but similar where we didn't look scoring and most fans were probably unsure what the plan actually was.

But there is finally light at the end of the tunnel. Backend of 2012 was the building blocks for the most successful period so far.

With 2020 looking very similar.

I think you look at next year top 6 should be the bare minimum we have to strive for. And hopefully the opening of the premiership window.

Look forward 2-3 years time when we hit the window who will we be competing with i think we will be in a good place. Look at the current top 4-5 teams some of them may not be around then in terms of premiership chances outside of Brisbane.

Geelong will have selwood and Dangerfield a couple years older and probably wont have hawkins either.

West coast - Kennedy probably retired and shuey, yeo, nic nat & Mcgovern a few years older.

Port Adelaide- haven't proven themselves yet in consistently being a finals team.

Richmond- still may be up the top but the drive may not be there then.

Strap yourselves in the next few years will be a fun ride i reckon.
I understand.

Booking my 2021 GF tickets as I type.

He is the man. I love watching us play again after nearly having my spirit broken by the last few years.
I wonder what Braedsman will find to slag about him after this win being as his last legitimate complaint was we couldn't kick a decent score (despite even the best teams in the comp struggling to kick high scores this year against the best defences).

Wow Mitch Cleary, bravo on producing an article with some great insight! Like finding a unicorn.

Read it, it's good!
That's seriously good from JLo. Empowering the players and teach according to the learning styles of each player.

Use the leadership of the playing group to build connections between players and coaches is exceptional.

Loving our new coach with updated games style and coaching.

Yep really good article and you get a real understanding of what Justin is trying to do.

The fact that Justin wanted to upskill the assistant coaches. So everyone is improving was really interesting. Was that happening under ross.

And what about the driveby to the demons in that article when comparing them to us. During the covid break they didn't want to talk footy or game plans to May while we were using that 8 weeks still teaching the players even though everyone was spread out across the country separated.

Reinforces to me everyone at the club wants to improve and didnt waste that 8-9 weeks off in that period and we have seen the benefits at the backend

Yep really good article and you get a real understanding of what Justin is trying to do.

The fact that Justin wanted to upskill the assistant coaches. So everyone is improving was really interesting. Was that happening under ross.

And what about the driveby to the demons in that article when comparing them to us. During the covid break they didn't want to talk footy or game plans to May while we were using that 8 weeks still teaching the players even though everyone was spread out across the country separated.

Reinforces to me everyone at the club wants to improve and didnt waste that 8-9 weeks off in that period and we have seen the benefits at the backend
nice observations.

Ross demands his assistants to come up to standard and do they own work to improve while Justin seems to teach to improve assistants standards.

Wow Mitch Cleary, bravo on producing an article with some great insight! Like finding a unicorn.

Read it, it's good!
Mitch Cleary is one of the best going around. While I was glad he wasn't sacked by AFL Media he could be doing so much better work if he was working for News Corp or Nine Newspapers.

He’s going ok, but tonight they weren’t good. He needs to be ruthless with some of these plodders imo

The depth isn't there yet. That's the problem.

We'll know we've got there as a team when some of the 'plodders' aren't needed but especially with a quarter of our best 22 out tonight we needed them unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The depth isn't there yet. That's the problem.

We'll know we've got there as a team when some of the 'plodders' aren't needed but especially with a quarter of our best 22 out tonight we needed them unfortunately.
Sturt, Walters, Tabs, Young, Pearce, Logue, Tucker, Hamling is some fair talent out of our b22

Longmuir is the no bullshit coach we need, no patting ourselves on the back for minor improvement, reality is we didn't play finals, that's not good enough.

With the news of Rhys Shaw battling mental illness I presume largely because of the rigours of coaching & particularly everything that has gone on this season, it puts it into perspective what an amazing job JLo did especially when we went 0-4 at the beginning of the season.

A new coach having to deal with everything that has transpired & then having to reinvent training without previous senior coach experience with relatively inexperienced assistants, I don’t think it can be underestimated the amazing job he did.

Think we’re in safe hands & I sincerely hope that Shaw can work his way through his demons & get healthy again.

Read it, it's good!
Identifying each persons best learning style of which there are 7. I learnt all about this as a trainer / Assessor, I’m somewhat amazed Freo weren’t doing this previously.

This latest sliding doors quote got me thinking.

IF ...
purple is the dominant colour of this club ...

THEN ...
it could be beige. Not saying that as a criticism, simply as an observation on how it is being run since Justin Longmuir took over as coach. There has been a very conscious strategy to remove all obvious problem people and issues, the exiting of Hogan for very little return the latest evidence. Had a really good 2020, well positioned for a better 2021.

We are most probably seen in US sporting team terms as a "small market" team. Structurally we will be up against it as far as exposure, marketing revenue, big market games, ability to attract free agents etc... Trying to do things just like the bigger teams may not work because structurally we are going to be up against it.

As a comparison, the best small market team in the NBA is imo the San Antonio Spurs and what they did was create their own identity and keep it pretty lo-fi/simple. Their tops aren't beige but they are grey. Fairly no frills and even at their pinnacle they had very humble stars like Duncan and Robinson. Team first, play your role, be humble BUT still be yourself and celebrate differences. Pop celebrated NAIDOC Week with the team for Patty Mills for example.

I think that this is where we are going as a team. Use what you've got, do the simple stuff well, be clear about who you are etc... No flashy trades this year and if you don't fit the mould but it's time to move on. Of course i could be terribly wrong and he just might be a bland country boy with not enough media training but I think Longmuir does have a clear plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back