Norths list strategy. Genius or disaster?

Genius or Disaster?

• Smart list management

Votes: 87 40.8%
  • Terrible idea

Votes: 126 59.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So where are the North are bankrupt brigade?

Cowards every last one of you.

It would be interesting to see which clubs dipped into the AFL's covid fund (and the five clubs requiring more variable funding).

It's just really not the year to be kicking anybody though - end of the day the clubs that were going to handle covid better financially are the very top and very bottom of the food chain. One side has more capacity to weather, the other has less to maintain through necessity.

The key will be how the league recovers into 2021, especially Victorian clubs depending on crowd access.

North brings debt to 400kk from 9 million 10 years ago, we posted 12 profitable year out of 13. Yet all I hear from general supporters and media is that we that we are not a financially stable club. What about anything that has been said would lead people to think that North aren't a financially stable club?

North brings debt to 400kk from 9 million 10 years ago, we posted 12 profitable year out of 13. Yet all I hear from general supporters and media is that we that we are not a financially stable club. What about anything that has been said would lead people to think that North aren't a financially stable club?
Idiotic prejudice, and liking to kick the small kid.

Still if it helps them get past their pathetic existence who are we to stop being a public service.

Made a profit 9 years in a row. Made a profit during a pandemic without touching any of AFL's money. Made a profit without playing a single game in Tassie. Maybe Jeff Kennett was onto something. We should seriously consider relegating clubs that don't meet financial metrics. Did Hawthorn post a profit this year? Wouldn't be easy for them during this pandemic with restrictions and pokies being shut. Family club and all.

Be hard to recruit players who don't know who the coach is going to be. I presume they will announce a new coach soon.
Be it Roos, Lyon or Gumby McGumby, that will form part of any pitch to players.

We just came 17th and wiped out a lot of our player list, players aren't going to come to us or not based on a coach scenario, they'll come because they'll be well compensated to do so in a team with plenty of opportunity. It's not like the club is going to pull a swerve and bring in the leagues first dog coach, whomever comes into the club will be coached either by Shaw (supported by Blakey) or by somebody with a full AFL pedigree (mind the pun). Even before any of this stuff happened Rawlings took our first rounders off the table so realistically we're not going to be engaging in a trade window after somebody of a high calibre worthy of those sort of picks. More likely we'll be targeting DFA's and fringe players for trade so I imagine all of them would understand we're a professional sporting outfit, one of only 18 nationally and probably won't let something like who the head coach will be get in the way of continuing their career.

Like you guys at North, why do we always have to justify our(4 ‘smaller clubs in Melbourne) existence when we are at a low point in our cycle? Sport is much more than a business. Sports clubs span generations. New franchise’s don’t and can’t have the same history and passion...yet. They will in time. True fans stick by their clubs through the lean years. Sometimes those lean year go on for decades. But that is part of the history of the game. Those bureaucratic types love to strike out people’s history with a stroke of a pen to suit their narrow, neat view of life. Blokes like Whately are here for only a short time in the scheme of things and they and their silly ideas will be soon forgotten. We’re with you North.

At North - we have a tendency to play it safe.

And so I'm torn then on the Ben Brown front - as I DO like the forward set up with BOTH Brown and Larkey and DON'T like it with just one of them. Brown - after all - is capable of (having done it once) kicking 10 in a game. I still believe that with Brown and Larkey splitting the defence then Zurhaar is twice the player he was this year.

Not many of those going around. IF we return to Marvel then I'd take him every day of the week. He's a genuine Coleman contender.....so....must be better than a Round 3 pick, at least early round 2 (top 20).

I do look at examples of clubs that thrived after moving on 'stars'.....Hawthorn post Franklin; St Kilda post Lockett.

My greatest level of confidence......or.....sense of anticipation for the future - is very much based around quality ball movers such as LDU, SImpkin, Thomas......and Scott....guys who as they grow in confidence are showing a tremendous ability to find space and time. As their endurance improves then their decision making will improve.

But.....who partners Larkey down forward?? Talls take longer to develop. Just imagine Ben Brown with some half decent delivery (kicks to advantage).
Random thing to say this.... I remembered north beating Freo in 2017 or 2018 with Ben Brown and Jarrad Waite in Norths Forward line. It was a dangerous forward line having those 2 talls in the forward 50

And so I'm torn then on the Ben Brown front - as I DO like the forward set up with BOTH Brown and Larkey and DON'T like it with just one of them. Brown - after all - is capable of (having done it once) kicking 10 in a game. I still believe that with Brown and Larkey splitting the defence then Zurhaar is twice the player he was this year.

Not many of those going around. IF we return to Marvel then I'd take him every day of the week. He's a genuine Coleman contender.....so....must be better than a Round 3 pick, at least early round 2 (top 20).

I do look at examples of clubs that thrived after moving on 'stars'.....Hawthorn post Franklin; St Kilda post Lockett.

My greatest level of confidence......or.....sense of anticipation for the future - is very much based around quality ball movers such as LDU, SImpkin, Thomas......and Scott....guys who as they grow in confidence are showing a tremendous ability to find space and time. As their endurance improves then their decision making will improve.

But.....who partners Larkey down forward?? Talls take longer to develop. Just imagine Ben Brown with some half decent delivery (kicks to advantage).
Random thing to say this.... I remembered north beating Freo in 2017 or 2018 with Ben Brown and Jarrad Waite in Norths Forward line. It was a dangerous forward line having those 2 talls in the forward 50

I seriously can't fathom what they are doing. This type of offseason has the potential to destroy the club particularly in the current climate.

Beautifully ignorant of posts before your own.

Well done.

Like you guys at North, why do we always have to justify our(4 ‘smaller clubs in Melbourne) existence when we are at a low point in our cycle? Sport is much more than a business. Sports clubs span generations. New franchise’s don’t and can’t have the same history and passion...yet. They will in time. True fans stick by their clubs through the lean years. Sometimes those lean year go on for decades. But that is part of the history of the game. Those bureaucratic types love to strike out people’s history with a stroke of a pen to suit their narrow, neat view of life. Blokes like Whately are here for only a short time in the scheme of things and they and their silly ideas will be soon forgotten. We’re with you North.
+1

Quoted for truth.

Thanks for the vote of support. Would rather support my Club than anyone else. It makes the victories all the sweeter.

I seriously can't fathom what they are doing. This type of offseason has the potential to destroy the club particularly in the current climate.

You're right, we're much better keeping all those OOC players (one more delisting than the Suns for example) that took us to 17th in a season we thought we might be stronger. Perhaps we should keep the key forward that got 8 goals in 9 games and the 32 year old veteran.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So where are the North are bankrupt brigade?

Cowards every last one of you.
To be honest I am surprised north have been profitable in 12 out of 13 years.

I could understand if it was when you had those home games at Tassie as that would bring in 2-3 million in Norths bank accounts

To be honest I am surprised north have been profitable in 12 out of 13 years.

I could understand if it was when you had those home games at Tassie as that would bring in 2-3 million in Norths bank accounts

It's one of those things... the only real news is that we were profitable in 2020. Anybody that wanted to dig slightly below the surface would find that we were profitable for 11 out of 12 years.

Thankfully, and Hawthorn will attest to this, there's no limit to actual profit so the Tasmania money is just extra money.

We're also only a year or so into a more favourable stadium deal (not that we saw too much of that this year) since the AFL bought Marvel.

Our financials are out there every year. For the last five the importance of the Arden redevelopment to us (and us to it) have been out there. Our debt reduction has been out there. Out commitment to the AFLW and the VFL standalone side are out there. Yet some people in the media want to continue to push our demise, like 35-40k members is a sad number - it's not, but it does pale to some and that's allowed, no sport in the world has equal support. Holding your own and not being a drain though is equally as important. We make less, but we spend less.

Beautifully ignorant of posts before your own.

Well done.

Well I haven't read the thread so of course I am ignorant of the posts before my own. Still have an opinion on their strategy, I've lived through this strategy first hand so am talking from experience.

So making a comment after admitting to not reading the thread; how typical.

We will be fine.

I was commenting in response to the OP. I didn't realise it was mandatory to have to read every post on here before commenting 🤦‍♂️

If you think you'll be fine that's great. I don't and I think North is in an extremely perilous position made worse by their list management decisions and the current financial situation. If North supporters think it's all sunshine and lollipops then good on you, what does it matter what I think?

I was commenting in response to the OP. I didn't realise it was mandatory to have to read every post on here before commenting 🤦‍♂️

If you think you'll be fine that's great. I don't and I think North is in an extremely perilous position made worse by their list management decisions and the current financial situation. If North supporters think it's all sunshine and lollipops then good on you, what does it matter what I think?
Financial? Have you read the press release by our CEO?

I suggest you do before your embarrass yourself more than you already have.

Looking forward to you public apology.

Last edited:
It's one of those things... the only real news is that we were profitable in 2020. Anybody that wanted to dig slightly below the surface would find that we were profitable for 11 out of 12 years.

Thankfully, and Hawthorn will attest to this, there's no limit to actual profit so the Tasmania money is just extra money.

We're also only a year or so into a more favourable stadium deal (not that we saw too much of that this year) since the AFL bought Marvel.

Our financials are out there every year. For the last five the importance of the Arden redevelopment to us (and us to it) have been out there. Our debt reduction has been out there. Out commitment to the AFLW and the VFL standalone side are out there. Yet some people in the media want to continue to push our demise, like 35-40k members is a sad number - it's not, but it does pale to some and that's allowed, no sport in the world has equal support. Holding your own and not being a drain though is equally as important. We make less, but we spend less.

that last bit is the key. Sticking to a budget.

Stay under that budget, that means you make a profit.

having those 2-4 games at tassie every year gave you that extra 2-3 million.

Financial? Have you read the press release by our CEO?

I suggest you do before your embarrass yourself more than you already have.

Looking forward to you public apology.

"THE" current financial situation ie league/society wide - not "Their" current financial situation

Yet we made a profit this year. So are we lucky, or we’ll run?
Bit of both. North don't have pokies. Tha hurt a few Vic clubs with the covid. Me living in SA I can wander to a pub and play pokies and have the occasional drink.

Again.... North would get some AFL distribution money. But they would try and spend as little as possible.

As one of your fellow north fans said, the AFL negotiated a better rental deal for Docklands tenants. So that has to be a good thing for north, saints and dogs

Logan Mcdonald?

Back