Kelvin Templeton

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting article about Kel 15:9

For overall performance, that round 9 game against Southby pips the 15 goal game. Saints had no genuine FB, and tried ageing Breen, undersized/young Barker, and finally midfielder Elliott. You can only beat the opponent you have, but the Carlton game was possibly the best of his career. (Ross Brundrett - wasn’t he a Bulldogs supporter? Not many journos of that era supported us.)

Here is another great article from Mic Rees on Templeton, regarding his omission from the HOF...

As I think we've touched on elsewhere Oliver Gigacz , this is a great article. Mic just has one minor inaccuracy - he implies Beasley was recruited after Templeton's departure, when in fact they spent most 1982 games in the same forward line. In fact, coach Bluey and Kelvin had a few differences of opinion that year, as Kelvin was frustrated seeing Beasley early in the season with plenty of opportunities to kick goals, but had managed 18.30 by round 8. Especially when KT was one of the players often looking for Beasley on the lead. Kelvin took it upon himself a few times to push deeper forward, and take marks, or put himself in the space Beasley would be leading into. Because KT had been a genuine FF, and the focal point of the attack for most of the preceding 4-5 seasons, having another genuine FF created an awkward dynamic. I think it was the Sydney away game (round 17) in 1982 where at one of the breaks Templeton and Hampshire appeared to have a fairly animated discussion on the Ch7 broadcast about how the forward line was functioning, and my memory is as they pulled away from each other, the captain's demeanour was not of a happy player. Unfortunately that turned out to be his second last game for us, and his one goal that day was the last he ever kicked in red, white and blue, as he only managed a behind at home in round 19 in his final game as we got pumped by Richmond. A sad ending to his career at WO.

We'll never know, but I don't feel the Beasley/Templeton combination would have worked going forward anyway. KT's knee, heel spurs and other injuries had limited his kicking distance, and he eventually spent much/most of his career at Melbourne closer to goal. If he'd stayed, there is no way Beasley could have played CHF. I've always wondered if part of Kelvin's decision to leave was influenced by the fact that he realised that Beasley was younger and fitter (injury-wise), and he and (former team-mate) Bluey didn't see eye to eye on things. Plus it was reported (I think by Sheahan as well) that Kelvin had thrown his hat into the ring for the coach's job (as captain-coach) when Hart was "demoted" (lol), but I'm not sure whether that was a genuine interest, or even if it had any bearing on his eventual departure.

It would be interesting to see him interviewed on some of these things (sadly Bluey is no longer around to give his side of the story). Kelvin has opened up about a few things at the club in interviews in recent years, nothing too political, just some insights into his career. Hart certainly had invested a lot of his coaching capital into Kelvin, maybe to the detriment of the team overall. I'd be fascinated by interviews with key staff at the time (players and officials) to know what was happening behind the scenes.

Edit: sadly there's a few ex-coaches that will either never set foot in the place again, or return or be welcomed back into the fold. Hart is one, I believe Joyce still carries a grudge (sad, given his father played for the club), possibly Goggin, and maybe Macartney. A sad situation, when we currently have 12 ex or current living coaches (Goggin, McKenzie, Hart, Malthouse, Wheeler, Joyce, Wallace, Rhode, Eade, Williams, Macartney and Beveridge) and some of then aren't getting any younger.

Last edited:
For overall performance, that round 9 game against Southby pips the 15 goal game. Saints had no genuine FB, and tried ageing Breen, undersized/young Barker, and finally midfielder Elliott. You can only beat the opponent you have, but the Carlton game was possibly the best of his career. (Ross Brundrett - wasn’t he a Bulldogs supporter? Not many journos of that era supported us.)

The Carlton game was the first game I ever went to at the Western Oval and still remember it so clearly. His marking was insane with Southby right on him and punching his hands/arms but he just held everything with a vice- like grip.

There should be a Kel 15:9 tshirt! I was thinking of organising one if people are interested tho easy to do one through Vistaprint etc I suppose

What does it say?
I am familiar with John 3:16 but this is a new one on me.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of defenders, I will fear no futile spoiling attempts : though thou placeth thy best players on me; my vicelike grip and magical boot shall comfort me.

or maybe just : Kel 15:9 says "We just kicked your butt."

7753b4c4e95080ac57432d500496f0e8.jpg

I still rate him the best player ive ever watched.

In 80 he was god like, just did things no one else could. I remember as a young kid, a torpedo goal he kicked from the pocket on a bogged WO. Based on how others were kicking it it just wasnt humanly possible yet he did it effortlessly, it left me with that feeling of watching something really special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back