Opinion If Richmond win it this year....

Which team is better?

• Richmond 17-20

• Geelong 07-11

Results are only viewable after voting.
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Make no mistake.. whilst they’ve been away from home all year, they’ve definitely been given the biggest ride of anyone else. They’re the reigning premier yet got far from then toughest schedule.. including the highest differential of rest days vs opponent and a nice little 7 day break conveniently smack bang in the middle of their condensed fixture. Not having to come to Perth was another one given it was feasible plus being their rotation here this year. They were forced out of Vic, okay let’s make sure literally everything else is in their favour. They’ve been towelled up by Brisbane twice, once by Port and have lost others such as the Saints game. Far from the best side this year and it’ll be another arsey flag if they pull it off. Port or Geelong definitely deserve it more.

did you want pepper with your salt?😂🤣😢😭🤢🤮🤦‍♂️

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Given the game evolves, we now have talent diluted across 18 teams, its hard to see any teams having the talent of bygone days.

But its success that we measure in an even competition its been a huge achievement as good as any other. Thats even before any further flags we may or may not win.

living_in_syd

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2009
sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure we will get there next week or better than the other teams, but we certainly the most adaptable going through the most rule changes, 666, covid quarters, etc

muzhogg

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
That Geelong team was beating the Ross Lyon coached St Kilda and Roos Sydney teams which were the start of the ultra-defensive period. It just wasn't in ascendency because Geelong were so good offensively.

It was also pre-Gold Coast and GWS.

Not an insignificant point when it comes to talking about the overall strength of the competition.

Geelong 07-11 clearly the better team, I think, but it's a different era thanks to the expansion of the comp.

Without wanting to deny how good Geelong were, I've never been so impressed by a team as I was with the Brisbane three-peat team of 01-03. They seemed to have a switch they could flick and when they did they just crushed whoever were before them. They were awesome.

So I'd be putting Brisbane ahead of Geelong with Richmond quite a bit behind.

I won't loose sleep over the question of whether teams from another era are better or worse. I'm enjoying this era too much to care!

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Geelong were the best team I’ve ever seen.

They were like ******* Michael Myers, never used to die and always dominated.

Apart from that game vs Collingwood where they randomly got pumped in that stretch even if you were 5 goals up you knew Geelong would shithouse a win.
I'd go Brisbane, did they have one roll player.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
What are the ground dimensions Gabba versus AO?

Looked to me that Tigers were cramped by a narrower AO ground?

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
As I have stated previously, the Tigers are a great side with a terrific system who don’t have the level of competition to deal with at the top....And your point about 8-10 contenders is irrelevant because in finals you play a maximum of 4 different teams ( usually 3 ), & at no point in these last 4 years will the Tigers have faced anything like a 20-2 juggernaut that we faced.....Twice...All this is not to discount your achievements, 2 cups ( maybe 3 next week ) is exactly that, but the difference in quality is what sets my team apart IMO.
I don’t understand how you can’t then see that with only a few teams competing you are virtually locked into top 4. But in these “weak” years a team has more competition for a spot in the top 4 and top 8.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The likes of Byrnes, Rooke, Hunt, Wojo etc all get their reputations enhanced post retirement due to being "multiple flag players".

The same will happen with Broad, McIntosh, Nankervis etc.

Lynch, Martin, Rance, Cotchin, Prestia, Riewoldt, Edwards, Grimes, Houli, Bolton are just some of the players who will be looked back upon as star players with star records I believe.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
The likes of Byrnes, Rooke, Hunt, Wojo etc all get their reputations enhanced post retirement due to being "multiple flag players".

The same will happen with Broad, McIntosh, Nankervis etc.

Lynch, Martin, Rance, Cotchin, Prestia, Riewoldt, Edwards, Grimes, Houli, Bolton are just some of the players who will be looked back upon as star players with star records I believe.
I sort of agree, but all sides need role players. Nankervis is very underrated because he is not glamorous, but he does what he did last night, gets back and takes marks like good ruckmen do regularly. Nank basically saved the game for Richmond last night. He has spanked plenty of good ruckman also. The week before it was Marshall. Last night he had 10 tackles.

Apr 13, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
This is the old champion team vs team of champions argument. There's no doubt Geelong had more out and out superstars in their 07-11 teams but I don't think there's ever been a better team of role players like ours who have consistently played their 1/22 piece of the coach's puzzle, even if it means sacrificing their game in the process

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
If Richmond win this year it's going to be the greatest sporting achievement of all time.
Better even than Richmond's last premiership in 2019 which is obviously the (current) greatest sporting achievement of all time.

Black Saab

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I do look at the 2 teams and there are a bunch more Geelong champions.

That is in hindsight though, Richmond snag another one and their boys start getting talked about in a different bracket....

ie in 2017 Alex Rance was the only gun Richmond defender, then he wasn't there and they have Astbury, Grimes, Houli etc... who have all stepped up.
Vlastuin...don't forget Vlastuin.

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
Geelong of that era was a more talented team. Would probably trouble this Richmond side, but who knows. The Brisbane 3peat team would thrash either side though.

Brisbane 3 peat and Hawks 3 peat would be the top of the tree

Geelong's and Tigers next rung

Can anyone do a sim of a round robin for these 4 and show it? be a fascinating watch

Back