bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Fair enough, just thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

I personally hated what longmire was doing 2018-19, but with this current team I think we have to be able to differentiate between coaching errors and player errors. I honestly don't think it was Longmires plan to have no forwards ahead of the ball, but I could also be wrong.
Don't worry Kapers. Your point was well made.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
With all respect i was asking Bungee , as our number 1 analyst . To answer you , there was no excuse for this , that's what could have cost us the game,
Whatever. We lost the game because we didn't kick straight.

Troystenvic

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
So...... We push a Grand finalist for most of the game and got rolled by a kick. Does that say more about us or them?

Footy is a weird game. Panic stations against a bottom 4 side and a GF a month later.

We will be more than fine in 2 or 3 years if this is what the best have to offer

Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Three Dangerfield leads exactly the same led to three goals. Two on Melican, swapped Fox onto him but also couldn't keep up. We had the rest of their team done but Danger pulled it out for them after 2.5 qtrs of not much.
Not getting the reward q2 was crook but the guys kept their heads up and fought it out.
I thought it was a good lesson for Fox and he'll go better next time!

Verse is not a verb.
Yeah it is. Or at least it is according to the Macquarie dictionary
1603057628086.png

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah it is. Or at least it is according to the Macquarie dictionary

It is only a verb in the remote context of poetry.

Eg "The bard would verse endlessly about long remembered battles."

"Versus" is a preposition. There is no "verse" verb that is a derivative of it.

This s**t needs to stop. Our educators need to be held accountable.

And whilst I am at it, "his" is NOT an abbreviation for "he is".

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

This sh*t needs to stop. Our educators need to be held accountable.

What has gotta stop is grammar Nazis getting their knickers in a twist on a public forum. If I'm writing an essay sure, but who really cares here?

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

This sh*t needs to stop. Our educators need to be held accountable.

I agree with a lot of your points, but I do actually object to this.

There's a lot of useless conventions in our language which are created because of the rules of previous languages (splitting a preposition is from Latin, and is an archaic rule).

Grammar and spelling change over time and are as fluid as culture is, and, in my opinion, any attempt to teach it should be from a historical point of view rather than a practical point of view. It is 100% possible that all the rules that we hold fundamental to English will be completely different or redundant in 100 years.

The languages and arts are much the same in that if it sounds/looks nice, your probably doing something right. It's not a science and therefore should not be taught like a science.

What has gotta stop is grammar Nazis getting their knickers in a twist on a public forum. If I'm writing an essay sure, but who really cares here?
Yes I see your point and as one myself, I hate it when my daughter's have a go at me when I pull them up on it when I correct their texts, but the English language as we know it in Australia is dying and it upsets me, so Bruce, I and others will keep up the good fight!

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes I see your point and as one myself, I hate it when my daughter's have a go at me when I pull them up on it when I correct their texts, but the English language as we know it in Australia is dying and it upsets me, so Bruce, I and others will keep up the good fight!
I don't understand this, why are you scared of the language dying? All languages die and evolve, if you wanted to keep up the fight you should be talking in the same English as Shakespeare, and even that is modernised compared to earlier years...

kelpie_X

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I agree with a lot of your points, but I do actually object to this.

There's a lot of useless conventions in our language which are created because of the rules of previous languages (splitting a preposition is from Latin, and is an archaic rule).

Grammar and spelling change over time and are as fluid as culture is, and, in my opinion, any attempt to teach it should be from a historical point of view rather than a practical point of view. It is 100% possible that all the rules that we hold fundamental to English will be completely different or redundant in 100 years.

The languages and arts are much the same in that if it sounds/looks nice, your probably doing something right. It's not a science and therefore should not be taught like a science.
Thou art mistaken!

I don't understand this, why are you scared of the language dying? All languages die and evolve, if you wanted to keep up the fight you should be talking in the same English as Shakespeare, and even that is modernised compared to earlier years...
The English language is dying, it's becoming very American and yes, language does evolve over time, but that doesn't mean we all have to embrace racing headlong into it.

Back