This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Ben King 6 and Jordan Clark 11 and Lobb 19 but no Hogan would have been sweet...but spilt milk is for losers so we move on.
Good point. This conversation seems to have been going on so long when it started Captain Hindsight with still a Lance Corporal.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
due to academy selections, we actually could have hypothetically been left with
6 - Ben King
14 - Hately (Jordan Clark taken the pick after, sturt 3 picks after)
22 - O’Halloran (McLennan, Bobby Hill, Valente, Rowbottom some names that were on the board then)
27 (I think)- Tom Sparrow (Will Hamill who I like and Valente on the board as well)
Good post. A couple of things to add.
We got Valente.
Bobby Hill has done squat, as has Rowbottom. Sturt already (off limited exposure) looks better and Shultz is kicking both their asses.
Hatley has already gone 'home'.
We may end up getting Clake anyway.

When you look at it, It's basically King that's making everyone jump at shadows. But, would you prefer the list above or what we have?

Not such a disaster after all.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
If you are going to do it, I think it only makes sense to compare what we have to King or Smith because given the wraps on the top 7 of that draft it is hard to see us not taking one of those two.
Bailey Smith?

Wasn't he the guy who told everyone he wouldn't play outside Victoria?

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bailey Smith?

Wasn't he the guy who told everyone he wouldn't play outside Victoria?
That's the rumour, I have NFI if it is true. Hard to see how we don't take King in that scenario so it is probably moot anyway.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
We got Valente.
Bobby Hill has done squat, as has Rowbottom. Sturt already (off limited exposure) looks better and Shultz is kicking both their asses.

When you look at it, It's basically King that's making everyone jump at shadows. But, would you prefer the list above or what we have?

I'd trade Sturt for Rowbottom in an instant. I'd even throw in Schultz and Valente if the Swans needed it.

And I like Sturt and Valente.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Cats list management is to be always go for a flag.

They will load up again next year as well.

Higgins will most likely go their for pick 33.

Cameron will most go there as a free agent.

They might trade out some borderline players.

this is the year they should keep Clark, and load up on kids.
Id convince Ablett to go around again too

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Totally.

Ablett doesn’t have to play the whole year. Maybe do an Ottens move and start half way during the year.

the thing is they’ve been at the top for so longthey don’t get many first rounders or high ones anyway.

theyre aging. Personally would bite the bullet on guys like Toohey and play Clark in his spot, forget Higgins. They’ve got that young kid, Cooper Somethingorother who should start playing. Higgins would halt that.
have a crack at Cameron as RFA, then load up on kids.

Carnthedockers

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Saw my mate who’s a big cats fan last night. Works for toyota and knows everyone. Said he was speaking to Clark’s dad this week who said he’s not happy he’s not in the team as Daniels reported. My mate reckons Clark should be in the team over Myers who he doesn’t rate. Will be filthy if they lose him.

this is the year they should keep Clark, and load up on kids.
Id convince Ablett to go around again too

Ablett doesnt want to go around again because of his family situation imo.

I cant see us trading Clark this year..we rate him and we already have 3 R1s in a so so draft so there isnt a real need to trade him for picks..i cant see freo offering the overs it would take for us to move him on.

Saw my mate who’s a big cats fan last night. Works for toyota and knows everyone. Said he was speaking to Clark’s dad this week who said he’s not happy he’s not in the team as Daniels reported. My mate reckons Clark should be in the team over Myers who he doesn’t rate. Will be filthy if they lose him.

They play completely different roles..for a start ones a forward the other is a back and miers covers so much ground which helps our defensive structure..clark isnt currently fit enough to do that but in time will be.

Really its henry/oconnor and to an extent menegola and blicavs as a winger (which is clarks position long term imo) keeping him out.

But if he is fitter next year i think he will be in the 22.

We got Valente.

agree with where you're coming from, but Rowbottom has shown a fair bit so far, think he's set for a big 2021/22, and if Hately actually had something resembling opportunity at GWS he wouldn't have gone home at the first chance

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Miers plays a completely different role to Clark. It'd be like comparing Wilson to Schultz. Also, Miers has shown a lot more than Clark. Wtf is his dad smoking?

Miers plays a completely different role to Clark. It'd be like comparing Wilson to Schultz. Also, Miers has shown a lot more than Clark. Wtf is his dad smoking?
Every dad who has a first round picked son stares off into the distance with a glint in their eye daydreaming about their boy winning a brownlow.

They've seen scores of brilliant play across as many games, all of that ability he has seen with his own eyes compared to a guy who flashes onto the screen ten times in a whole game.

It's easy to see why.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Clark showed a lot in 2019. The only concerns I have over him are:
- how bad is the elbow?
- why couldn't (didn't?) Jordy maintain his fitness while he was getting over the elbow injury?

Assuming we got satisfactory answers to those questions, I'd trade #10 (better: 2021 1st) for him. But then I feel about Jordy the way others feel about Hogan.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Clark showed a lot in 2019. The only concerns I have over him are:
- how bad is the elbow?
- why couldn't (didn't?) Jordy maintain his fitness while he was getting over the elbow injury?
Assuming we got satisfactory answers to those questions, I'd trade #10 (better: 2021 1st) for him. But then I feel about Jordy the way others feel about Hogan.
His draft bio negatives were fitness and contested ball.
Unless he is going to shine on a wing, HB is full and Young has him beat.
Then you have Walker, Western, and we are back into skinny flanker territory.
Our issue is Hogan, a massive gamble that could go either way.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
His draft bio negatives were fitness and contested ball.
Unless he is going to shine on a wing, HB is full and Young has him beat.
Then you have Walker, Western, and we are back into skinny flanker territory.
Our issue is Hogan, a massive gamble that could go either way.
I'd play him on a wing ahead of Bewley and on half-back ahead of Wilson.

He showed more in his first year than Henry (admittedly Henry was injured until midway thru the season).

Based on junior track record, it is more than likely that he will be a better player than Western.

Hughes plays way taller than Clark. But if that particular part of Hughes' game isn't required, then long term Clark is an upgrade as an attacking half-back. (Mind you when everyone is available, I think Hughes is an understudy to Young anyway)

Zac is a half back and was deep forward at the end of the game too. Class is class, works where you put it.

Zach is a much better contested mark though so is more flexible. Clark is lightly bodied which limits his roles especially until he builds his endurance..right now he is a half back or a winger he cant play the role zach is playing or miers role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back