Footyology podcast 2024

Apr 15, 2010
cairns
AFL Club
Carlton
Getting in early here and anticipating that a discussion point in the next podcast will be about how the two top teams with lots of time off flopped in the prelims. Does anyone here think 2 games of footy in 4 weeks really matters? Wasn't it more a case of 2 hardened finals teams in Rich and Geel just being too good and if the end of season ladder positions had been reversed, so Rich and Geel had 2 games in 4 weeks the result would still be the same....a Rich v Geel GF?

Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi guys,

Here's the new episode, we wrap up both preliminary finals in full, take an early look at the big one and review the seasons of Brisbane and Port Adelaide and their future prospects.

And yes, 1870 yeh right, you are right! We have talked about it. So have a listen. I'd just say this. I think it's entirely feasible Richmond and Geelong are the two best teams and thoroughly deserve to be there. But I'd also say given that 17 of the previous 18 preliminary finals were won by the QF winners, then (post pre-finals bye) that turns in just four of 10, that's a major shift that needs to be investigated, not just a coincidence that has lasted five whole years.

Anyway, have a listen folks, and make up your own mind!

Cheers,
Rohan

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Getting in early here and anticipating that a discussion point in the next podcast will be about how the two top teams with lots of time off flopped in the prelims. Does anyone here think 2 games of footy in 4 weeks really matters? Wasn't it more a case of 2 hardened finals teams in Rich and Geel just being too good and if the end of season ladder positions had been reversed, so Rich and Geel had 2 games in 4 weeks the result would still be the same....a Rich v Geel GF?
Yes. Conditioning counts for a lot.

Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi guys,

Here's the Grand Final preview episode straight from the studio. We're talking GF preparations, SOS unloading on the Blues, latest trade reports, there's an extensive preview of the Tigers v Cats, and a couple of big rants to finish off. Just a reminder, too, our Footyology Final Siren LIVE stream, discussing the game and taking your questions, will be on after the GF at 10.30pm, available on both Twitter (@rohan_connolly) or Facebook ... https://www.facebook.com/RohanConnollyAFL. Have a great GF and good luck to supporters of both teams.

Cheers,
Rohan

Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi folks,

Here's our GRAND FINAL REVIEW episode of the podcast (below). We wrap up all the news out of the big game, give (in our humble opinion) the most thorough review of the Tigers' win you'll hear, and a couple of premiership rants as well!

Also, seeing the season's over, just a big thank you to people on here for your support, much appreciated. We're going to have a week or so off, but will be resuming with plenty of footy stuff plus our usual off-season pop culture and lifestyle segments. And keep in touch with the FOOTYOLOGY website as well for plenty of football content, but also plenty of film, TV, music and social commentary also.

Cheers,
Rohan

Apr 15, 2010
cairns
AFL Club
Carlton
Hi folks,

Here's our GRAND FINAL REVIEW episode of the podcast (below). We wrap up all the news out of the big game, give (in our humble opinion) the most thorough review of the Tigers' win you'll hear, and a couple of premiership rants as well!

Also, seeing the season's over, just a big thank you to people on here for your support, much appreciated. We're going to have a week or so off, but will be resuming with plenty of footy stuff plus our usual off-season pop culture and lifestyle segments. And keep in touch with the FOOTYOLOGY website as well for plenty of football content, but also plenty of film, TV, music and social commentary also.

Cheers,
Rohan

Hi Rohan, Cheers for another great year of footyology podcasts. Glad to hear you'll both be back for the off-season.

In your rant Rohan you highlighted the reversal of fortunes between your Bombers and the current day champs. Maybe your verbal "dump" on Essendon has its logical conclusion with you reversing a truck filled with 5 tonnes of chicken poo outside Tullamarine?!

The_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2005
North Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
australia
2008 is within the Hawks dynasty IMO.. the core of Hodge Mitchell Lewis Rioli Franklin Roughead Birchall I reckon are the best

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Enjoyed the podcast as always, but talking about A-Graders or super stars in teams from past eras and comparing to today is difficult, re the discussion about Geelong's dynasty and the amount of A-graders they had. For example, Shai Bolton, Noah Balta, Jayden Short, Liam Baker aren't considered stars last week, but who knows how they are considered by the end of their careers. They're all very young and have a combined 7 premiership medallions between them. Time tells the eventual narrative.

Shai Bolton, Noah Balta, Jayden Short, Liam Baker could be seen in a very different way in 2 or 3 or 6 or 10 years time.

Teams are fluid. Geelong's great sides of the late 2000's are finalised, careers finished so we can say what was done.

Not sure I'm prepared to finalise my thoughts on the star power of a side in it's peak, with pretty impressive youth coming through just yet.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Geelong is no1 because living through their period at the top was more compelling than the others. The intensity and integrity of their play is ahead of any other team.

You can respect the players, the adversities they went through, some superior stats of the other teams more. But Geelong's play was so good that stats don't matter. Back to back and crap like that is only needed to validate the other teams.

Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi guys,

We're back after a short spell, just in time to discuss these latest AFL rule changes, their wisdom or otherwise, and their likely impact. We talk the fall-out from trade period. And some off-season segments are back, too, like Life Hacks and Vinyl & Video, while we're keeping the ol' Rant-Off going all year round. Was a lot of fun this one, hope you enjoy it!

Cheers,
Rohan

TP86

Club Legend
Apr 16, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s a podcast in the middle of the offseason. Not live radio with breaks to clear... so why was everything so rushed and why were there constant reminders that “we don’t have time for this” or needing to move on? It’s crept into most podcasts now...Roco has become Finey’s personal timekeeper. which suggests the format is not compatible with the hosts! If a topic requires rambling, ramble! Then leave the editing to the editor!

Most successful sports podcast in the world Bill Simmons regularly goes 2 hours plus, sometimes 2 hours 30.

Apr 13, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s a podcast in the middle of the offseason. Not live radio with breaks to clear... so why was everything so rushed and why were there constant reminders that “we don’t have time for this” or needing to move on? It’s crept into most podcasts now...Roco has become Finey’s personal timekeeper. which suggests the format is not compatible with the hosts! If a topic requires rambling, ramble! Then leave the editing to the editor!

Most successful sports podcast in the world Bill Simmons regularly goes 2 hours plus, sometimes 2 hours 30.
It's their product. They can run it for as long or with whatever content they like

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal

It was a bit exasperating that they decided to leave discussions of how they thought Dons and Saints went till next week. Would rather have heard that than the TV/movie music nostalgic segment (largely lost interest in those).

Even in the off-season this had been a period of a lot of footy events since their last podcast and while some of their non-footy stuff is interesting, it's footy where their views are really valued.

Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It was a bit exasperating that they decided to leave discussions of how they thought Dons and Saints went till next week. Would rather have heard that than the TV/movie music nostalgic segment (largely lost interest in those).

Even in the off-season this had been a period of a lot of footy events since their last podcast and while some of their non-footy stuff is interesting, it's footy where their views are really valued.

Hi guys,

Appreciate the feedback. Re the length, understand entirely what you're saying, but probably the most consistent criticism I've had with our podcast is that it's too long! Our people at Acast also noticed numbers were dropping off the longer it went, so I've tried to find a happy medium I guess. But look, if enough people start saying we're cutting things too short I'll have a look at things again. And fair point about cutting footy content for other stuff. Will take that on board.

Cheers,
Rohan

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hello Rohan,

Do you think You and Finey will continue to do the Thursday and Friday night after the game discussions on twitter next year?

I thought the shows really started to hit their groove once all the technical issues got ironed out.

The tipping segment had its moments as well!

I really think you guys could make it even better if you did it again.

Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hello Rohan,

Do you think You and Finey will continue to do the Thursday and Friday night after the game discussions on twitter next year?

I thought the shows really started to hit their groove once all the technical issues got ironed out.

The tipping segment had its moments as well!

I really think you guys could make it even better if you did it again.

Hi Revo,

Yep, that's certainly the plan at this stage. Had a lot of fun doing it and the numbers were good, just needs some reasonable sponsorship to fund it properly so hopefully something will emerge over summer.

Cheers,
Rohan

Aug 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi guys,

There's a new episode just gone up. This week we talk about David Noble as North Melbourne coach, speculate on the futures of a dozen or so delisted players and will or won't they get picked up again. There's some more feedback on rule changes, we rant, we observe, and Vinyl & Video this week goes (not quite) all the way back to 2007. Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,
Rohan

May 22, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi Revo,

Yep, that's certainly the plan at this stage. Had a lot of fun doing it and the numbers were good, just needs some reasonable sponsorship to fund it properly so hopefully something will emerge over summer.

Cheers,
Rohan
Just my 2c, feel free to disregard.

I actually thought it worked (looked) better when you had to do it "virtually" this year with split-screens etc, rather than when you were sitting next to each other on what seemed to be a very uncomfortable-looking set!

If you choose the return to the latter format next year, maybe a relaxed setting eg. a comfy sofa might produce a better visual!

Back