Review Preliminary Final, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Payne has the speed to play as a leading forward as well, or gives us the versatility to swing him forward in games if we need spark there. Great that we have found another player. I think he will play every game next year.
100%

Hipwood, Mcstay, Robinson, Martin and CEY are not AFL standard footballers. I was apprehensive about Daniher, but I can't be now. Even a broken Daniher can provide more than Hipwood and Mcstay. Zorko has lost a touch and Birchill looks finished and should be replaced next season.

Let's Trade hipwood, cey and mcstay. Delist Martin and Birchill and leave Zorko on the team as a limited game time player.

I said it before and i'll say it again. We lost the game on the selection table. We were 5/5 with kiddy in our team and he provided far more than CEY has done in an entire year. Payne was a surprise inclusion and I think he should replace lester next season, so the game wasn't a total waste of time. Either way, we have to get rid of hipwood and mcstay. I think it's ironic, but Ben Keays will probably end up as the better academy player that we drafted that year, not hipwood.

Surprised we didn’t finish in the bottom 4 based on your assessment of the quality of our players.

I like Coleman. A lot.

But I just don't get the school of thought that him playing instead of CEY would have had us performing significantly better as a team in this game.

There was a lot of comment in the Match thread about how much more "pressure" Kiddy would have brought and this idea seems to be lingering on in this Review Thread as well.

I fail to see what relevance this has to the fact that our midfield/onballers/Rucks were pantsed in the centre square and at the clearances in general

Unless Coleman was not only winning the ball at the coalface but also racing back to the forward line to apply all this "pressure" being referred to.

He's good but not that good
Kiddy covers a lot of ground , he doesn't just make match changing tackles in our forward fifty he makes them in our defensive fifty, why.
Cause he covers the ground , he gets there to cover defend .
When you consider Kiddy is arguably our best in a technical way of tackling , and our pressure on the opposition was down it's not hard to make an argument that we missed those moments he makes.
You only have to go back to the Richmond game and see how his tackles changed the flow of the game in our favour.
Anyway they rolled the dice with CEY and lost imo.
Lastly though , ther's always next year and I'll probably watch next week as a complete neutral , should be a cracker.

Unrelated note, do we know the dimensions of our new springfield oval? West Coast were able to overcome the MCG hurdle by having a stadium/training ground with similar dimensions to the MCG. Why are we not doing that and training on those conditions as much as possible?
Don't think the ground dimensions play to much into it, the gabba is 156m x 138m and the MCG is 160m x 141m. Don't think we have played there enough recently to judge our form there. Hopefully next year if we draw them we get Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Hawthorn, Carlton and Melbourne all at the G to see.

Imagine our forward line without Hipwood. At least he makes contest most of the time ,gets into packs and chases. It wouldn't have mattered in we had JB out there last night the way we brought it in the few times we did.

Hipwood will relish it if Daniher comes in fit and well. There'd be a queue up of clubs if we didn't want him but in my view he's already a good player , could become a much better one.

Geelong deserved to win, and I know we overachieved again, but I'm still bummed.

I reckon this year presented a unique opportunity for us to win, given the GF would be at The Gabba, but we yet again stumbled due to inexperience playing at this level.

I dunno if we've overachieved. We've finished second in the home and away two years in a row. That's not a fluke. This year we've beaten one of the grand finalists and got knocked out by the other. This is our level. Just work to do to get to the big dance.

A Gabba GF would have been nice but I still feel like attending an MCG GF involving the club will be the pinnacle of my Lion's supporting existence.
It's not even just the ground location. It's the parade experience as well that is special. I still remember 2001 and being shocked at how many Lion supporters showed up at the parade. We legit matched the Bombers contingent.

Ultimately it would have been special for the Lions to be in a GF at the Gabba, marvelous for QLD footy and a once in a lifetime experience. But the MCG is the home of Grand Finals and I bloody hope we win there in 2021 and there will be no * next to it either by the media.

Also, I expect an apology from all those toxic posters bagging Witherden. Birchill provded last night that we needed Witherden more than ever. I await all of your apologies.
Just a quick word of advice, you'd want to start finding a way of expressing an opinion on here that's not incessantly negative and combative if you want others to engage more with your posts.

Payne has the speed to play as a leading forward as well, or gives us the versatility to swing him forward in games if we need spark there. Great that we have found another player. I think he will play every game next year.
As I said a couple of weeks ago, when I look at Payne I see a player who is similar to Tom Hawkins. Payne is big, quick and can take a mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a quick word of advice, you'd want to start finding a way of expressing an opinion on here that's not incessantly negative and combative if you want others to engage more with your posts.
He can be negative and combative and also plain wrong. Birch was very good against Richmond. He wasn't on his own in struggling last night but he was far from our worst. I think he'll be better for this season after long lay offs but I can understand those who think it's curtains for him. Witherden isn't any better on anything I've seen this year but he should get his chance next year.

I dunno if we've overachieved. We've finished second in the home and away two years in a row. That's not a fluke. This year we've beaten one of the grand finalists and got knocked out by the other. This is our level. Just work to do to get to the big dance.

We were expected to finish outside of the Top 4 by most.

Midfield got spanked. Blame the forwards.

Hawkins only kicked 2 with great service from the midfield.
I agree with that but really apart from Charlie's 2 goals early the only forward who fired a shot was McCarthy. Tackling pressure was next to non existent from the others.

I know they faced a tough ask but we needed more than what we got. They looked really tired.

He can be negative and combative and also plain wrong. Birch was very good against Richmond. He wasn't on his own in struggling last night but he was far from our worst. I think he'll be better for this season after long lay offs but I can understand those who think it's curtains for him. Witherden isn't any better on anything I've seen this year but he should get his chance next year.
Wouldn't have a lot of posts on Bigfooty if we started cracking down on wrong posts!

Fair enough.

Forget a key forward, what I’d give for a classy, clean half forward who can make the right decisions. We break down so easily 60-70 from goal and end up just bombing it in or trying to pin point targets in the pocket.

Parfitt showed us exactly what we are missing last night. I know he is more of a winger but he played a little higher last night and cut us to shreds. Someone like him, Shai Bolton, or Robbie Gray would just transform our side so much.

We’ve got a couple of first rounders to try and find a clean half forward 22-26. Anyone available?
Turning a team competitive is a huge challenge, turning a team into the best even more so.

Dylan12 thought we had a team that could not go all the way and I think he has been proven correct. Brab nails it. We are competitive but now the hard bit starts.

Warwick points out the lack of a classy half forward i.e. Sexton of Gold Coast, Parfitt or Myers of Geelong. A bloke kicking 35 to 40 goals. I expect Bailey and Starcevich to move into the midfield. We obvious would welcome such a player but a key forward is, well its the key.

Balladen and Fullarton have not played enough games so we have no idea what they will offer. Coleman may be the answer. The lack of injuries is a double edged sword when we consider what to go after at the draft.

Havent read the thread but very disappointed.
Fages didn't have his greatest night. Rich on Gaz i think was a mistake. We would have much preferred Ah Chee or even Answerth on him.
CEY for Kiddy was a HUGE mistake (in hindsight). CEY offered nothing and we missed Kiddys pressure.
The entire midfield unit was s**t (bar Neale), don't care what numbers each player got but they didn't play like a team, just a bunch of individuals. The game was lost there and we had nothing to stop him.
The forward line, hard to judge them too critically as it wasn't down there for huge amounts but it came away way too easily (we missed Kiddy).
If we get Danniher next year, then we need to get rid of a tall be it Martin or McStay.
Big O had a torrid night, got smashed by a part timer in Hawkins. Am hoping this was the night for him to learn that you can't always start from the behind.
Payne had a decent job (can't remember who he was on), he really needs to stay in the team next year.
Birchal (you have had a great career but please retire), or if he does play on, hopefully it is in the reserves. Would rather Answerth in

I really thought we had Geelong after beating Tigers in QF who have looked unbeatable in later half of the year, Cats not so much. All the odds were in our favour, little travel, week rest, home prelim, home GF, Blacky presenting the cup. Just couldn’t get the job done, I’m sure boys will be back again next year hungrier but I also hope it’s not a case of would could have been, makes you realise how hard it must been to achieve what our premiership era team achieved winning prelims 4 years in a row, 2 of which being on the road.

As it turns out seems the week off was in the Cats favor. The bye needs to be abolished

Back