2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread...now with new DFA speculation!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of the reputed top 10 picks, none would disappoint me except if we chose Grainger-Barras.
The defender that just dominated in the All Star game, then went forward and kicked 2 goals in the second half?

The defender that just dominated in the All Star game, then went forward and kicked 2 goals in the second half?
I’m thankful it seems to be the pointy end of the draft consist of 4, McDonald, Hollands, DGB and Thilthorpe.. the next two would be a run down at this point, in Phillips and Bruhn... maybe this changes with a Vic combine or All star game but we see ourselves just on the edge of the elite players as it stands.. course it all means not much when a player like Day who’s rated nowhere near the top end last year develops the way he has this year.. Ive reached the point where I’d be happy with any of the top four..

I’m thankful it seems to be the pointy end of the draft consist of 4, McDonald, Hollands, DGB and Thilthorpe.. the next two would be a run down at this point, in Phillips and Bruhn... maybe this changes with a Vic combine or All star game but we see ourselves just on the edge of the elite players as it stands.. course it all means not much when a player like Day who’s rated nowhere near the top end last year develops the way he has this year.. Ive reached the point where I’d be happy with any of the top four..
We could very well be looking back at a number of clubs selections in 3-4 years thinking that they got a superstar on the sly, with so many Vic kids not getting the chance to fly up the draft rankings in 2020.

He's both. More fwd that pinch hits. Goldy is almost done anyway.
Reminds me a bit of Roughy (taller obviously). Very agile and good at ground level and plays like a big midfielder when in the ruck. Tackles really well for a big guy. I see him being a key forward mostly but able to pinch in the ruck in that mobile follower sense. I’d be very happy if we landed him. I reckon his potential upside is one of the highest

I see McDonald, DGB and Philips as the safest bets to be really good players in their positions (top 5 player at AFL club) but I really like the superstar potential in Thilthorpe and Hollands if everything goes right in their development. Feel they are best bets of becoming the best player at the club they join, albeit come with bit more of a risk (in my view).

Last edited:
Just curious, If we will look at more trading out players, and improving our draft this year, or if we will look at going for a player(s) to help improve our list this year?

Our picks 21 and 40 for Dogs 12 seems like the first thing I would go for.

Dogs get a 30 point upgrade, (1307 points for 1278 -not much, but still a gain, when all they will be looking at for JUH is points) we get a lower pick, and hopefully get to take Downie later.

We could probably throw in a whole later pick, that we wouldn't be using, to bump the points up

Last edited:

Dogs get a 30 point upgrade, (1307 points for 1278 -not much, but still a gain, when all they will be looking at for JUH is points) we get a lower pick, and hopefully get to take Downie later.
I would obviously be willing to do it but other clubs would offer a bigger point upgrade, would need to up that i would have thought.

I would obviously be willing to do it but other clubs would offer a bigger point upgrade, would need to up that i would have thought.
yeah, i was thinking a upgrade swap of later picks too...but CBF'ed looking up the picks, tbh

We could probably throw in a whole later pick, that we wouldn't be using, to bump the points up
We would need to do better. As bids come it slides picks back and thus the point value slides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well could very well be looking back at a number of clubs selections in 3-4 years thinking that they got a superstar on the sly, with so many Vic kids not getting the chance to fly up the draft rankings in 2020.

I wonder where Clayton Oliver and Bontempelli would have gone in the draft if they hadn't played tac cup in their draft year

They may ask for a player too, and we may abide.

We would need to do better. As bids come it slides picks back and thus the point value slides.
Although JUH would probably be the very first academy called, so the original value would stand.

Given the amount of academy picks + free agency compo if appears mid-late first round picks are going to be pushed back a heap.

But 3rd round picks could be brought in a fair bit after all the bids as clubs are going to need currency for match first round picks which should suck up a lot of mid draft picks (as late picks aren’t worth much and clubs won’t have heaps of list spots to stockpile late Picks).

No idea how clubs are going work out value of picks for trades when you add the complication of limited exposure of a lot of kids (this is a year when I expect a lot of clubs will say they picked someone in the 40s that they rated top 25etc).

That is true but 30 points isn’t enough for them. Matching pick one is tough going with their pick.
Yep, that's where we have quite a few picks that we probably won't use that we could also throw one in as well...or the player, as SYL mentioned

More than happy to 'pay' for Downie with late 2021 picks. They may be less value because reducing lists and our surge up the ladder
I won’t be if what I understand of next years offerings is correct. We may need those picks for bidding also.

I wonder where Clayton Oliver and Bontempelli would have gone in the draft if they hadn't played tac cup in their draft year

Good question. From memory, Bont grew 11cm in his last two underage seasons then stormed home to be likened to Pendlebury come draft time. The rest is history.

We could very well be looking back at a number of clubs selections in 3-4 years thinking that they got a superstar on the sly, with so many Vic kids not getting the chance to fly up the draft rankings in 2020.

If you really back your recruiters than it’s definitely an opportunity this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back