Working from home, good/bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have good and bad days with motivation but generally I've got too much work to not be busy

Same. I've learned to recognise that there are days I'm just not as productive as normal. I think this probably happened in the office as well but now, I tend to think "fine, I'm taking the afternoon off" and catch up in the evening. I've got two kids doing lots of homework so it's not unusual.

Same. I've learned to recognise that there are days I'm just not as productive as normal. I think this probably happened in the office as well but now, I tend to think "fine, I'm taking the afternoon off" and catch up in the evening. I've got two kids doing lots of homework so it's not unusual.
I like the flexibility, and with no commuting it frees up 90-120 minutes a day to allow for that even more.

At the moment I drop the kids off before 9am and pick them up at 3pm. Saves me before/after-school care costs which is a big saving over the course of the year.

I sent out a survey to my teams to see if they want to have a permanent desk set up for them at one of our new offices or work from home forever. Everyone said WFH except for two, who want to split their week as two office days and three WFH days.

We’re also opening up every support department position to flexible hours if they want them.

I know what you mean. I'm often working out of hours due to the kids being up early, or working late just so I can stay on top of my admin.

How can anyone not enjoy the flexibility WFH offers.

Also we've seen a huge decrease in unplanned absence since everybody can WFH. Less doona days without the commute. It's a win-win for employer/employee

Provided you keep a good social life as being home during the day can get boring. Really looking forward to the test series starting, NBA etc. I might not be seen at work for weeks at a time over summer. * walking to the bus in 40 degree heat

How can anyone not enjoy the flexibility WFH offers.

Also we've seen a huge decrease in unplanned absence since everybody can WFH. Less doona days without the commute. It's a win-win for employer/employee

Provided you keep a good social life as being home during the day can get boring. Really looking forward to the test series starting, NBA etc. I might not be seen at work for weeks at a time over summer. **** walking to the bus in 40 degree heat

It's the lack of human interaction and the distractions at home that do my head in. I find it very hard to be proactive at home, much easier when I'm in the office. The flexibility is good but my job is flexible anyway generally so it doesn't worry me in that sense.

I'm back to what I was doing pre pandemic, one day work from home, 1-2 days in the office, 2-3 days seeing customers, loving it, fu** working from home 5 days a week.

I'm going for 1 day in the office per week*, and organising all the meetings I need to have for that week.

* Subject to hot weather, heavy rain when I'm supposed to be commuting or the first day of a test match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the lack of human interaction and the distractions at home that do my head in. I find it very hard to be proactive at home, much easier when I'm in the office. The flexibility is good but my job is flexible anyway generally so it doesn't worry me in that sense.
Making sure you have plenty of other interactions/social events is important 100%. During the proper lockdown when I was stuck at home with no sport and couldn't really visit people was rough, so I can see why others may not like it. Others probably work with better people too, I guess. Won't be staying in touch with people here when I leave. Probably why I'm such a fan of WFH, no commute & no dealing with bell ends

Last edited:
I was already zero days in the office before this, I just used to spend most days at customer offices now I spend most days at home

Waiting to see if the customer office stuff starts up again

Might have my first week of that coming up next month, waiting to see

I was already zero days in the office before this, I just used to spend most days at customer offices now I spend most days at home

Waiting to see if the customer office stuff starts up again

Might have my first week of that coming up next month, waiting to see

I'm going into the office for 3 days next week prior to Xmas just so i'm familiar with the Covid safe plan.
Have no idea what happening in the new year.

I work for a company that has a mix of employees and contractor staff.

Employee staff still call in sick and contractors rarely. Not really different from working in the office. It has more to do with the fact that if contractors don't work they don't get paid.

Been working from home since March. I enjoy the freedom and flexibility, but don't enjoy being here so much. I wish hiring workspaces was cheaper, so I could go rent a desk in Brunswick. I'd be able to still avoid a major commute, while getting some better separation of home and office.

I wish everyone else was working from home. Since Scummo told the public service and associated contractors to go back to the office, transport is close to capacity again and certainly not covid-safe. Not that all agencies are back five days a week yet, a lot are 2-3 days outside of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
I preferred doing five days at the office when the office was near-empty, buses were near-empty, and most people were doing 0-1 days at the office.

It's got it's pros and cons.

Pros:
-Save a heap of money
-No wasted time driving/commuting/parking
-flexibility to run life's quick errands through the day
-the comfort of your own home, don't need to get dressed up
-can sleep in a bit more
-can be more flexible with your hours like start a bit later or finish a bit earlier
-I'm actually more focussed at home, what distracts me is people coming for a chat or me getting up to go to the bathroom and bumping into someone and chatting. At home I pretty much just log on and work.

Cons
-It's been pretty isolating in a study by myself for the last 9 months, missing people and connections
-Have found it hard to "switch off", when the office is the home, then being at home work is always "there", and I haven't been able to mentally switch off by leaving the office
-Longer hours at home, as when in the office when it got to home time, that was a signal to get up and leave because you actually need to go somewhere else. At home I find myself staying logged on and working late very often just because it always becomes 10 minutes more, 10 minutes more.
-Building new/maintaining current relationships and working with people is harder at home than in person
-Breaks have almost become non existent. I just go to the kitchen/bathroom and then straight back to my desk whereas in the office I'd actually go for a walk with a colleague to get lunch or a coffee, etc. and take some time out

Overall, logistically, productively and functionally working at home is better.
For the mental health and engagement and building relationships, the office is better.

The ideal split for me is probably 3/2 or 2/3 home/office split depending on the week. I would never ever want to go back to 5 days a week in the office again, but alternatively at home for the rest of my career would drive me crazy in time. I'd be pretty happy to work Monday, Wednesday Friday at home and go to the office in between.

It's got it's pros and cons.

Pros:
-Save a heap of money
-No wasted time driving/commuting/parking
-flexibility to run life's quick errands through the day
-the comfort of your own home, don't need to get dressed up
-can sleep in a bit more
-can be more flexible with your hours like start a bit later or finish a bit earlier
-I'm actually more focussed at home, what distracts me is people coming for a chat or me getting up to go to the bathroom and bumping into someone and chatting. At home I pretty much just log on and work.

Cons
-It's been pretty isolating in a study by myself for the last 9 months, missing people and connections
-Have found it hard to "switch off", when the office is the home, then being at home work is always "there", and I haven't been able to mentally switch off by leaving the office
-Longer hours at home, as when in the office when it got to home time, that was a signal to get up and leave because you actually need to go somewhere else. At home I find myself staying logged on and working late very often just because it always becomes 10 minutes more, 10 minutes more.
-Building new/maintaining current relationships and working with people is harder at home than in person
-Breaks have almost become non existent. I just go to the kitchen/bathroom and then straight back to my desk whereas in the office I'd actually go for a walk with a colleague to get lunch or a coffee, etc. and take some time out

Overall, logistically, productively and functionally working at home is better.
For the mental health and engagement and building relationships, the office is better.
The ideal split for me is probably 3/2 or 2/3 home/office split depending on the week. I would never ever want to go back to 5 days a week in the office again, but alternatively at home for the rest of my career would drive me crazy in time. I'd be pretty happy to work Monday, Wednesday Friday at home and go to the office in between.

Perhaps useful tip: I set clear time boundaries at the start and end of the day by going for a walk / ride to demarcate this is where the work day starts and ends. Sort of a pretend commute.

Perhaps useful tip: I set clear time boundaries at the start and end of the day by going for a walk / ride to demarcate this is where the work day starts and ends. Sort of a pretend commute.
I speak to a psychologist around a number of issues and this was also their suggestion. It's a known thing, we need a cue/trigger to signal us that work is over and doing that start/finish routine each day is what she suggested.

I love it in theory, just poor time management or things getting in the way prevent me. In the office, it's not an option, you are forced to come and leave and switch on and off.

That's not a bad idea actually. When i'm in the office it's the drive home I guess, but yeah I struggle to split up the day when WFH.

I speak to a psychologist around a number of issues and this was also their suggestion. It's a known thing, we need a cue/trigger to signal us that work is over and doing that start/finish routine each day is what she suggested.

I love it in theory, just poor time management or things getting in the way prevent me. In the office, it's not an option, you are forced to come and leave and switch on and off.

A tweak to it might be to make it social. Get someone else to go with you, if possible. For me, it's the dog in the morning, the kids in the afternoon, but a friend or housemate could also work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back