Cameron Rayner

Remove this Banner Ad

How good was Cam's mark in front of some Dogs spud and then followed up by a brilliant goal.

As the Beatles would sing he's getting better all the time..

Cam Rayner is absolutely going to be a gun of the competition, I am probably being biased but IMO he is going to be a De goey level performer up front and if he gets his endurance up to speed which from reports he is working on diligently and is improving look out for him in the midfield, already shows glimpses of it when thrown into the center square at re starts.

This is my hot take

Was horrificly out if form but the laziness tag people were slapping on him was just lazier then his perceived effort.

He's working hard. Just a mix of form/luck/and slightly new role throws a lot of younger players out. Agree and fair assessment he had struggled earlier in the year, but second year player.hes still learning the game. Guys like Fyfe/Martin and I'm not comparing just using examples. Took a couple of years to learn how to play.

The 18 pressure acts is just statistic which shows no he isn't lazy. Coaching teams just spend a most half a day reviewing every contest. And so much on the field if he was "lazy" he would of been dropped pretty quickly. It's not like Brisbane are in the position to carry players not working hard enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rayner is a low disposal / maximum damage game breaking type player. V Tigers kicked a clutch goal and set up two more for Charlie. Will be a gun probably as mid / forward similar to Dusty
In what world has he shown he can compete with best players in league?

Three years in he's an 11 disposal, 1 goal a game player. Has had 20 touches in a game twice and kicked 3 goals 3 times. Pollled Brownlow votes (3) once in his first year when he got 19 touches and kicked 3.

Reminds me a bit of Jamie Cripps in his first couple of years with us. Different players and Rayner obviously has a higher ceiling but Cripps but they played a similar forward role and got similar stats. OK but not great. From 2015 he worked up the ground more and gets more of the ball, and has had a bunch of 20 disposal games, a 5 goal game and a bunch of 4 goal games. And that's a guy who doesn't/can't play on ball. Would love to see Rayner do similar. I don't see him like Charlie Cameron who only needs 10 touches a game to be BOG, but if he can become a 15-20 disposal, 1-2 goal a game player who plays some midfield time he could be really valuable.

Weren't people saying this about Petracca a few seasons ago? Shows glimpses, doesn't do enough, will be a forward because he has a poor tank/attitude/fitness and can't play mid.

Sometimes it just suddenly "clicks" after a few seasons.
Petracca has NEVER had a poor attitude. Where do you get this from ?

Also, if you look at his statistics over his first few seasons he matched Rayner in goals and had almost double his disposals. Even last year Petracca was top 5 in the B&F.

Weren't people saying this about Petracca a few seasons ago? Shows glimpses, doesn't do enough, will be a forward because he has a poor tank/attitude/fitness and can't play mid.

Sometimes it just suddenly "clicks" after a few seasons.

Basically this. Has shown when he "clicks" he'll be elite for us. Always a chance it doesnt happen, but we are backing him to reach the heights we think he can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back