EDFL Premier Div 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
would not surprise me as i heard he and club frustrated over recruiting and not being able to attract players to crazyburn they have the money but player don't want to travel out that far out
Let me get this right ... guys aren’t willing to head “out” to Craigieburn WTF?
The amount of mercenaries in local footy these days surely 3-4 would be willing.

For Christ sake carloads head up the Hume, to the river comps annually ... surely a kick, less travel and home Satdy nights at a decent hour appeals for a few Bob less

The amount of mercenaries in local footy these days surely 3-4 would be willing.

For Christ sake carloads head up the Hume, to the river comps annually ... surely a kick, less travel and home Satdy nights at a decent hour appeals for a few Bob less

Should be enough locals in the Craigieburn, Wallan, Mernda, Roxy Park etc to put together a good local footy team. Craigieburn historically had really strong juniors, this seems to have fallen away and might be where the problems start. Additionally the culture of the club of being a 'bogan' heavy drinking club would not appeal to the migrant population that have moved that way. Still i find it quite strange that the population in the local area would have doubled in the last 20 years, yet the footy club has gone backwards.

Should be enough locals in the Craigieburn, Wallan, Mernda, Roxy Park etc to put together a good local footy team. Craigieburn historically had really strong juniors, this seems to have fallen away and might be where the problems start. Additionally the culture of the club of being a 'bogan' heavy drinking club would not appeal to the migrant population that have moved that way. Still i find it quite strange that the population in the local area would have doubled in the last 20 years, yet the footy club has gone backwards.
Moved to The Burn a week before Covid so haven't met one person yet but having worked a little bit at Highgate for 7-8 years now there are far more folk throwing around rugby balls, and playing cricket or soccer than there are out kicking footballs in Craigieburn.

Population growth doesn't guarantee participants in a multicultural world, it's more about cheaper real estate and there are plenty more community themed options these days.

As for the culture of the club I have no idea.
I spent two years learning off Banger at the Cannons and value his friendship beyond football.
The times I attended games and finals in 2019 there did appear a significant change to how spectators once would carry on in years prior.

Moved to The Burn a week before Covid so haven't met one person yet but having worked a little bit at Highgate for 7-8 years now there are far more folk throwing around rugby balls, and playing cricket or soccer than there are out kicking footballs in Craigieburn.

Population growth doesn't guarantee participants in a multicultural world, it's more about cheaper real estate and there are plenty more community themed options these days.

As for the culture of the club I have no idea.
I spent two years learning off Banger at the Cannons and value his friendship beyond football.
The times I attended games and finals in 2019 there did appear a significant change to how spectators once would carry on in years prior.
In last decade l have seen one problem with the craigieburn crew and that was drinking on the ground fence at a junior finals game .other than that never seen or heard of an issue.
i think the real problem is that their standard player is div 1 level and not one that cuts the mustard in premier. up and then straight back down previously and l expect that to be the case in 2021.now that salary cap reduced it will be even harder to attract any premier standard players. Any recruit can be talked up but we all know premier is a tough gig. they didnt just get beaten every week last time in premier.they were embarrassed.
coach can be the best mentor in the world but he is not on the stats sheet saturday nights.

In last decade l have seen one problem with the craigieburn crew and that was drinking on the ground fence at a junior finals game .other than that never seen or heard of an issue.
i think the real problem is that their standard player is div 1 level and not one that cuts the mustard in premier. up and then straight back down previously and l expect that to be the case in 2021.now that salary cap reduced it will be even harder to attract any premier standard players. Any recruit can be talked up but we all know premier is a tough gig. they didnt just get beaten every week last time in premier.they were embarrassed.
coach can be the best mentor in the world but he is not on the stats sheet saturday nights.
Reduced salary cap should theoretically help a side like Craigieburn who is reliant on local talent rather than out of town recruits.

The professionalism it takes to be a quality A grade side is a huge step up from Div1. It requires players to be doing 3 sessions a week over summer, Tues, Thurs and Sunday recovery during the season.. Eating Bette, drinking less etc and it appears the culture of the Eagles has not progressed with this and players are too happy to just run around with mates and have a few beers after training.. Nothing at all wrong with that, but you will never succeed at A grade level.

Reduced salary cap should theoretically help a side like Craigieburn who is reliant on local talent rather than out of town recruits.

The professionalism it takes to be a quality A grade side is a huge step up from Div1. It requires players to be doing 3 sessions a week over summer, Tues, Thurs and Sunday recovery during the season.. Eating Bette, drinking less etc and it appears the culture of the Eagles has not progressed with this and players are too happy to just run around with mates and have a few beers after training.. Nothing at all wrong with that, but you will never succeed at A grade level.
sounds to me you think craigieburn need a culture change and some professionalism not players. that culture might be why players are reluctant to sign. Cannons boys all want to aim for the big dance. Big difference in what an 18 year old will do anything to get there rather than an adult in edfl studying ,working and maybe raising a family. Lets hope big Lance has the answers.

Doona you are absolutely right about the players heading up the hume on a weekend for big more travel allowance and in some circumstances accommodation. But as for having to get there two nights a week from work and home is causing some angst among possible recruits this was i an interview i read from the president i cant remember if it was on the edfl site or local paper

Doona you are absolutely right about the players heading up the hume on a weekend for big more travel allowance and in some circumstances accommodation. But as for having to get there two nights a week from work and home is causing some angst among possible recruits this was i an interview i read from the president i cant remember if it was on the edfl site or local paper
Guess we're all wired differently and this new you beaut metropolitan lifestyle might take some time for me to understand.

Off topic a bit and obviously country football is looked upon differently to the metro models but I've worked 5am clock ons for over 13 years, sometimes travelled an hour or more from where I've lived twice a week to coach, plus all the crap local coaching throws up and never once thought of it as convenience.

Actually to read that back now indicates why I stopped coaching local footy ha ha!!!

sounds to me you think craigieburn need a culture change and some professionalism not players. that culture might be why players are reluctant to sign. Cannons boys all want to aim for the big dance. Big difference in what an 18 year old will do anything to get there rather than an adult in edfl studying ,working and maybe raising a family. Lets hope big Lance has the answers.

This is possible, but it depends what they want to be and stand for as a footy club.. If they are just happy to be a social community club where mates can get together and have some fun, the way they are going is completely fine.. However if they are ambitious and want to win A grade flags, and attract big name recruits then yes a cultural change is probably required, in saying that I havent been involved in EDFL for about 5 years and have no knowledge of the inner working at Criagieburn but historically this has been accurate about them.

They should be looking at a club like Sunbury Lions for how to create the right culture for success, whilst still keeping the community feel for the club.

Last edited:
Guess we're all wired differently and this new you beaut metropolitan lifestyle might take some time for me to understand.

Off topic a bit and obviously country football is looked upon differently to the metro models but I've worked 5am clock ons for over 13 years, sometimes travelled an hour or more from where I've lived twice a week to coach, plus all the crap local coaching throws up and never once thought of it as convenience.

Actually to read that back now indicates why I stopped coaching local footy ha ha!!!

The 5am start probably means your home from work at 4apm.. Quite a good percentage of players now have professional jobs, where leaving an office in the city at 5 and being at Craigieburn for training by 6 is a logistical impossibility.

The 5am start probably means your home from work at 4apm.. Quite a good percentage of players now have professional jobs, where leaving an office in the city at 5 and being at Craigieburn for training by 6 is a logistical impossibility.
Guess I'm blessed with supportive employers who value work/life/community balance.
I never went home before footy once mate, in the bush we are not as resourced as metro clubs I'm assuming ... plenty of club stuff that needs doing.
Wish I had've got involved in Melbourne sounds much more easy and resourced ;):p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guess I'm blessed with supportive employers who value work/life/community balance.
I never went home before footy once mate, in the bush we are not as resourced as metro clubs I'm assuming ... plenty of club stuff that needs doing.
Wish I had've got involved in Melbourne sounds much more easy and resourced ;):p
Not really doona with all the bullSh@t that the alf are demanding of the club volunteers it getting harder and harder to get people to volunteer so less people doing more work .

Not entirely true. I’ve been a clubs where players train and play hard then have couple drinks on a Thursday and Saturday night. Those clubs have been very successful.
The difference is the professionalism that the leaders show that come Sunday/Monday recovery they do everything right then Train hard during the week. You’ll find at some
Clubs that the leaders don’t train on Tuesday because they haven’t done the appropriate recovery for their bodies.
Recovery Saturday night, Sunday and Monday is where the good teams gap the poorer teams. (Other then talent)

Different demographics now to previous years. Footy no longer the number one sport.

100% correct. Sick of people who don't live here saying that there is a big enough population without looking at the ethnic mix. Most new residents in roxy are refugees from Iran and Syria put into government housing who don't have the first clue about AFL. My son went to the local catholic primary where 99% of them had no idea about footy and only knew soccer. The Roxburgh Park Soccer club has grown from nothing to enormous in about 3 years. Similar in crazyburn. Just because we have population growth does not translate into kids playing footy. We're trying to get into schools and get kids into it but they aren't interested
Different demographics now to previous years. Footy no longer the number one sport.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% correct. Sick of people who don't live here saying that there is a big enough population without looking at the ethnic mix. Most new residents in roxy are refugees from Iran and Syria put into government housing who don't have the first clue about AFL. My son went to the local catholic primary where 99% of them had no idea about footy and only knew soccer. The Roxburgh Park Soccer club has grown from nothing to enormous in about 3 years. Similar in crazyburn. Just because we have population growth does not translate into kids playing footy. We're trying to get into schools and get kids into it but they aren't interested

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The EDFL has poached a few of the RDFNL clubs, its been mentioned on the RDFNL page, but would a club like craigieburn and possibly jacana be suited to the RDFNL where there is no relegation and it would stop the yo-yo cycle of craigieburn.

Would it then create a better culture thats been spoken about on here by retaining players.

Yes they would be a very good club in that league and very competetive, but that just makes everyone else around them try to get better.

what do people think?

On SM-T355Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

The EDFL has poached a few of the RDFNL clubs, its been mentioned on the RDFNL page, but would a club like craigieburn and possibly jacana be suited to the RDFNL where there is no relegation and it would stop the yo-yo cycle of craigieburn.

Would it then create a better culture thats been spoken about on here by retaining players.

Yes they would be a very good club in that league and very competetive, but that just makes everyone else around them try to get better.

what do people think?

Craigieburn came over to edfl from the rdfl in 2000 so they might entertain going back but I doubt it .As for the jags they just need to focus on building two competitive sides and some decent numbers it will be a tough assignment but I hope they do it

what do people think?

already mentioned it before but all previous rdfl clubs in different leagues should come back together. Crazyburn, Melton and south, Sunbury, gisborne and others in their own league

that would not be enough to start a comp is there more teams over the journey that have left the rdfl
Pretty sure they never went to start their own comp, just Kilmore in 2016, before that they had a whole heap jump off in the late 90s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back