List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In what was already expected to be a weaker draft for smalls, heavily impacted by father son and academy picks and now with very little exposed form. If you're ever going to have a weaker draft hand this is the year for it.

Our strategy

darts.jpg

Our pick this year is 13. It's looking like there'll be at least two compo pick plus an academy bid before that, meaning at best it'll be 16, with a chance of two more compo picks and at least one more acadamy pick, meaning a good chance of it ending up around pick 18 to 20.

So, yeah, this was a good year to trade out of the draft. Imagine how bummed we'd be if we hadnt traded it and we bomb out in week one, finish seventh, and end up with the same first pick as the year we won the flag!

Part of the value of the trade was determined by a bet that we would be strong this year and they would be weak, similar to the GC trade in 2018 that we smashed. It Hasn’t worked for us so well this time with us finishing below expectation and then above.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The only 2020 Geelong pick involved in that trade was their third-rounder. Which is currently at 54 or 55 depending on whether they win next week.

Say they’d finished ninth and missed the finals altogether, it would have been 47.

Still doesn’t seem to me that their success this year will have a big effect on the overall trade.

Because we traded a mountain of picks whose collective value was far greater than the value of Kelly.

This absence of picks will impact our side for the next 10+ years inhibiting our ability to win games and premierships over that period.

We currently have an aging list, that seriously lacks depth, and the majority of our best players are 28 or over who require replacement in the next 1-3 years. This means the picks we traded would have been particularly valuable to us.

Because due to the aforementioned aging list, which lacks depth we are unlikely to win a premiership within the next few years (while tK is still active). It is more likely our strong players continue to drop off with next year probably being our last shot before we become mid table.

Meanwhile the side we traded with is looking at potentially winning the premiership this year, and will have one of the best draft hands, setting them up for a continuous run of success.

Is that enough reasons to look at this trade as potentially being our worst?

How does trading out of one draft impact our ability to develop talent for the next 10 years? I will grant you that there was a lot of WA talent in the 2019 draft that we didn’t pick up, but trading two top 20 picks, along with a pick in the 30s, is hardly selling our future. It’s not like we’ve suddenly traded out of the 2021 draft, the 2022 draft, or any other that you can think of in the next 3 years. The 2019 draft won’t decide our future success for the next 10 years, despite the fact you seem to think it’s the case. In addition, the 2020 draft (fortunately for us) has pretty much become void, with it being even more of lottery than any other year before.

You also seem to be forgetting that Geelong have already used the majority of picks we gave them. Their draft hand from us for this year is solely our first round pick (they got most of our picks for last year), which will be pushed back by academy and F/S picks.

In regards to most of our stars being over 28, are you referring to Yeo? Or Kelly? Or Gaff? What about Sheed? Our KPP stocks are set, so I’m assuming you mean our midfield - and yet, you seem to be forgetting that half our midfield are in that 25-28 range. Those who are currently 28 will still have another 4-5 years in them, so the worry that “most of our stars are over 28” seems a bit much, since they’re all between the ages of 28-30, apart from two.

Fixing our lack of depth is something we can, IMO, do this offseason. I’ve outlined it in another post, but looking at players like Bolton, Schloithe, Waterman etc in the WAFL, plus trading in players like Pickett and Narkle (the former would come free, btw) immediately fixes our depth issues. These are ready made players that would provide immediate depth as we challenge for the premiership, and have even greater worth this offseason as known quantities, since this draft is completely shot.

I think an even more important decision that will impact our future success is who we decide to put in as our midfield, and I hope we do our due diligence is who we select.

Watermelon sucks, you said?
A better way that I learned over the years was to cut a round hole in the top of the watermelon and upend a full bottle of vodka into the watermelon. Leave the bottle in the watermelon allowing the vodka to slowly drain into the melon!
refrigerate the melon and bottle over night and slice and eat the watermelon or share with friends.

How does trading out of one draft impact our ability to develop talent for the next 10 years? I will grant you that there was a lot of WA talent in the 2019 draft that we didn’t pick up, but trading two top 20 picks, along with a pick in the 30s, is hardly selling our future. It’s not like we’ve suddenly traded out of the 2021 draft, the 2022 draft, or any other that you can think of in the next 3 years. The 2019 draft won’t decide our future success for the next 10 years, despite the fact you seem to think it’s the case. In addition, the 2020 draft (fortunately for us) has pretty much become void, with it being even more of lottery than any other year before.

You also seem to be forgetting that Geelong have already used the majority of picks we gave them. Their draft hand from us for this year is solely our first round pick (they got most of our picks for last year), which will be pushed back by academy and F/S picks.

In regards to most of our stars being over 28, are you referring to Yeo? Or Kelly? Or Gaff? What about Sheed? Our KPP stocks are set, so I’m assuming you mean our midfield - and yet, you seem to be forgetting that half our midfield are in that 25-28 range. Those who are currently 28 will still have another 4-5 years in them, so the worry that “most of our stars are over 28” seems a bit much, since they’re all between the ages of 28-30, apart from two.

Fixing our lack of depth is something we can, IMO, do this offseason. I’ve outlined it in another post, but looking at players like Bolton, Schloithe, Waterman etc in the WAFL, plus trading in players like Pickett and Narkle (the former would come free, btw) immediately fixes our depth issues. These are ready made players that would provide immediate depth as we challenge for the premiership, and have even greater worth this offseason as known quantities, since this draft is completely shot.

I think an even more important decision that will impact our future success is who we decide to put in as our midfield, and I hope we do our due diligence is who we select.

We traded heavily out of two drafts to get Kelly and gave him a monster contract. That almost certainly leaves a big whole in the age profile of our list and leaves us with a tight salary cap that makes it tough to grab FA’s, inhibiting alternative methods of attracting talent. It was a lot of currency to spend and means that this trade could only ever be considered a success if we win a premiership with TK. Sadly now that’s looking less likely.

Given you typically need to bring in 2-3 players a year to assemble a premiership team, having two weak drafts puts us on the back foot for the next 10 years and we need to find a way to catch-up. Any players we drafted this year could still have been conceivably contributing to the team/premiership in 12 years time, which is obviously years after TK will have retired.

I’m not forgetting the potential weak/compromised draft, we’ve still paid a shitload and have limited our trade currency this year as a minimum.

As far as our stars, JK and hurn are on their last contracts and have already begun big drop offs. Nic nat and shuey are over thirty and will shortly be on the decline. Gov, shepp, darling and gaff are all 28 or over (yes gaff is 29 next year). We have 10 AA’s on our list, (11 if you count normies) and only 3 of them yeo, tk and Ryan are below 29 next year. Clearly the majority of our stars are 28 or over. We’ve got one of the worst under 25 teams in the comp and the tk trade only exacerbated that.

Setting this riveting talk about watermelons aside, it's a bit bizarre that despite our season finishing 2 weeks ago, we've heard nothing of list changes.

I can appreciate we're waiting on the AFL to finalise list numbers for 2021, but some decisions should have been made by now you would have thunk? Jetta brawling with Simpson, but not delisted. Venables still dribbling all over himself by all accounts and no decision made. Vardy's contract withdrawn but he hasn't been shown the door.

Setting this riveting talk about watermelons aside, it's a bit bizarre that despite our season finishing 2 weeks ago, we've heard nothing of list changes.

I can appreciate we're waiting on the AFL to finalise list numbers for 2021, but some decisions should have been made by now you would have thunk? Jetta brawling with Simpson, but not delisted. Venables still dribbling all over himself by all accounts and no decision made. Vardy's contract withdrawn but he hasn't been shown the door.
Someone said that we usually wait until after the John Worsfold Medal to announce the 1st delistings. Haven't bothered checking previous years to verify if this is true.

Venables still dribbling all over himself by all accounts and no decision made.

The latest account, earlier this week, was that he’s much better (“he’s like Daniel again” was the quote from his manager). Also that we’ve asked the AFL for some sort of special dispensation regarding his listing and we’re waiting to hear back on that.

Should probably hurry up and delist him now though, the draft is coming up in a couple of months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are waiting for the best and fairest night. Why delist players before we need to and before the season presentation night? That is insensitive and unhelpful..

Look at other clubs, some have also waited and the day or two later the cuts are announced.

Impatient fans is not a factor. Showing respect to the players is as is conducting list cuts as professionally as posible.

The latest account, earlier this week, was that he’s much better (“he’s like Daniel again” was the quote from his manager). Also that we’ve asked the AFL for some sort of special dispensation regarding his listing and we’re waiting to hear back on that.

Should probably hurry up and delist him now though, the draft is coming up in a couple of months.
We are waiting for the best and fairest night. Why delist players before we need to and before the season presentation night? That is insensitive and unhelpful..

Look at other clubs, some have also waited and the day or two later the cuts are announced.

Impatient fans is not a factor. Showing respect to the players is as is conducting list cuts as professionally as posible.

I was mostly poking fun at the rumours. If they were all true those decisions would have come swiftly you would think.

Must work on my delivery.

That nuggety James Rowe campaigner we’re supposedly into has looked alright for WWTE in the SANFL granny on the 7Live app.

Has a snag and set one up too.

That would now be Premiership Player James Rowe as he bagged a couple of goals to help WWTE become Premiers this afternoon.

That nuggety James Rowe campaigner we’re supposedly into has looked alright for WWTE in the SANFL granny on the 7Live app.

Has a snag and set one up too.
100% we wont end up with him.

Picture him in a swans, port or WB jumper

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% we wont end up with him.

Picture him in a swans, port or WB jumper

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we want him just feel he wont last to 52.

Some are saying there may be less than 60 new players drafted in the main draft.

So maybe he will!

Trading a future 3rd for a pick in the 35-45 range would be nice.

Give us say 32 - 40 - 52 and 53 gives a heap of flexibility to trade even lower if we see something we like at a pick others want to trade.

We pony up a future 3rd to get us a draft hand we can use more aggressively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back