Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
I too have family in regional Victoria.

They routinely state that they dislike Melbourne people because they:
  • Think they have it harder than everyone else
  • Are arrogant
  • Look down their nose at people from the country and think of them as "lil' ol' country bumpkins"
  • Lack common sense
  • Lack practical skills
  • Think they're smarter than everyone else
  • Are naive about the realities of race relations
Of course, they held these views long before Covid - and the above more typifies conversation across the Xmas dinner table.

I'm good with the 25km, but I've long viewed the "picnic" with suspicion. I am however looking forward to recommencing drinking at some stage soonish. Just a couple more weeks.

I wonder if I could have a picnic for one with 6 cans in my small esky? I'd even get a haircut
- We do have it harder
- We are the best
- They are country bumpkins
- We don't have common sense
- We certainly aren't practical
- Although we are still smarter than everyone else
- Country people are racist.

hehe.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is the city/country divide a Victorian only thing now?
It's pretty universal from what I've seen

I found out in my 18 months in Sydney that there really isn’t a syd v melb (or nsw v vic) thing up there at all. There’s nothing really country v city in Queensland either.

There is definitely a Melb v the world thing now.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
You don’t remember?

That implies you were actually informed to start with :D

It is a severe flu - and the elderly are always the most at risk category from such a thing.

Poland is not far behind, with an explosion of new cases and a waning interest in volunteerism. The country of 38 million has the lowest number of doctors per capita in the European Union, and some doctors are now refusing to join coronavirus teams, concerned about safety protocols.

"We are on the brink of catastrophe," Pawel Grzesiowski, a prominent Polish immunologist, told the Polish radio station RMF FM.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
These Kiwi travellers sure have spread far and wide. If anyone is in any doubt that a travel bubble with other countries wont be a shitshow just look at this.

How do our states not talk to each other, how does our federal government not talk to the states? Always looking for a "gotcha" moment. Pathetic.
And according to the Federal Government, it’s ‘working perfectly as intended’. :drunk:

Just catching up with today’s activity in this thread and the responses were somewhat predictable.

Seriously, if you’re disappointed or underwhelmed by today’s announcements you’re impossible to please and you should probably question your viability as a person.
Look i got more than I was expecting. I'm happy that i got more than I expected
That doesn't mean everyone did or that they got something that matters to them

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood

True enough, you’d think by now though that people would have learnt to temper their expectations. Assume the worst but hope for the best as the saying goes.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Poland is not far behind, with an explosion of new cases and a waning interest in volunteerism. The country of 38 million has the lowest number of doctors per capita in the European Union, and some doctors are now refusing to join coronavirus teams, concerned about safety protocols.

"We are on the brink of catastrophe," Pawel Grzesiowski, a prominent Polish immunologist, told the Polish radio station RMF FM.

Yea, the health system here is ****ed.

Poland is a very interesting country - growing and thriving economy, now a generally good level of wealth; but some of the stuff here is still very old fashioned and s**t, and hasn't caught up with the rest of the country.

Health and Education are a great example - both Doctors and Teachers are paid extremely poorly in the public system; as in, around the average income. Then the admin and bureaucracy is an absolute joke.

William Wonka

Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine
May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Will be a permanent fixture for years to come.

When people say ItS nOt EvEn A bIg DeAl!!

Actually, they're really ******* annoying. I can't hear anyone, smile at anyone, it makes me not want to go for a walk, itches my beard, harder to breathe. They absolutely ******* suck. If they're still around early next year with no end in sight, I'll 100% relocate to somewhere they're not mandatory.
Diddums
Blatantly made up I’d say.

Friends of friends went to get tested as a family at one of the shopping centre testing facilities as their kids had a few symptoms and thought they may as well get tested. Filled in the paperwork and registered but we’re unaware the wait would be so long, they left after 2 hrs without getting tested and said they’d come back if the symptoms persisted. 2 days later they got a Message saying all 4 of them tested positive and they had to go through all sorts of rigmorale to get themselves ‘cleared’ so they could leave their house.

This is the system we’re placing so much faith in.
This didn't happen. You're cold full of s**t.
It makes sense to try and get people back that went through the trouble of filling out the forms ,because it would suggest possible symptoms and therefore possible virus.
He's full of s**t
isn't it funny that we are told for months that false positives are extremely rare yet last week the Mildura case and another one in country vic were false positives. So if there are 2 false positives out of the very low numbers that we are getting now imagine how many false positives when there were 725 cases in one day
Oh dear...
Have a nice long think about this friend and see if you can figure out where you went wrong.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just catching up with today’s activity in this thread and the responses were somewhat predictable.

Seriously, if you’re disappointed or underwhelmed by today’s announcements you’re impossible to please and you should probably question your viability as a person.
Your last sentence should probably make you do the same. What a stupid statement.

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
Your last sentence should probably make you do the same. What a stupid statement.

The last bit was harsh and I’ve deleted it, but I was actually shocked some people thought we were going to get more than we did. They’re hardly going to have been this cautious for so long and then all of a sudden push a whole lot of changes through in one go just because people are getting a bit restless and feel some sort of need (which is actually just a want) to catch up with friends in person to watch a footy game.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think we're nearing the point that people are going to take what they want even if it's not given to them.
Friends of mine have a daughter who was a happy go lucky kid, in the top class at school and state level athlete. During lockdown, she started cutting herself, recently texted her friends suicidal thoughts and now has an appointment at Headspace.
So, at this point, its "* the restrictions" and we're having them over. Because our kids get along brilliantly and we want this girl to have a couple of hours of fun to help get her head out of the mire.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The last bit was harsh and I’ve deleted it, but I was actually shocked some people thought we were going to get more than we did. They’re hardly going to have been this cautious for so long and then all of a sudden push a whole lot of changes through in one go just because people are getting a bit restless and feel some sort of need (which is actually just a want) to catch up with friends in person to watch a footy game.
Actually comfort and companionship is absolutely a need and pushing through 2-3 households for 10-15 people is hardly a massive change. It’s literally the difference of that exact sized group meeting in a park vs meeting at a home.

I get why they haven’t done it, I really do, I also think it’s short sighted, people adhere to rules when they can understand them and understand the need and the benefits. Next weekend whilst we’re technically not allowed to see friends or family at home NSW and QLD (who have essentially the same case numbers) will have tens of thousands of people at a stadium and countless homes will be having barbecues with friends.

Just as you’re surprised more people expected more I’m stunned so many people are just accepting of this outcome.

Sep 9, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Can only watch with friends from 1 other household even in a park. People on here seem to be under the impression you can watch with a group of mates in a park which would be far more reasonable.
Isn’t it at 7:30pm? And on what is looking like being a cold & rainy night. Not ideal conditions for a grand final picnic in the park.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Isn’t it at 7:30pm? And on what is looking like being a cold & rainy night. Not ideal conditions for a grand final picnic in the park.

Just means if you do want to go watch it in a park you’ll have to huddle under an umbrella with them, or, more likely under a rotunda with a bunch of people from other houses.

In Dans opinion that’s much much safer than being in a home with your own family.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Interesting comment in Bold above - im tipping you have a job or your business isnt on the brink of collapse? My cousin's hsuband who runs an indoor swimming pool isnt happy at all - now been closed for over 6 months..........but we are supposed to question his viability as a person?

Nothing really changed for me (doesnt bother me but would be nice to have things to do). I can now go to a coles or woolworths, thats about it (im not going out after 9pm anyway and been leaving the house for more than 2 hours a day if i wanted to)

Aug 31, 2012
Pining for the fjords
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
******* stupid game
Yet Gyms in NSW have been operational with no cases reported at all.
Like I said he is a bespectacled bell-end who knows nothing about health. All about controlling the people and the narrative. Never about health.

Yep. My gym (Sydney) has the following protocols:
  • Temperature check on arrival
  • Bubblers for filling water bottles only, no direct drinking
  • Every second machine closed
  • Strict controls about wiping down equipment after use
  • Classes have limited numbers based on floor size, pre-bookings only
I don't use the showers, as I walk straight home, but there are restrictions in there too. It's not hard to get right and the onus is on the gyms to enforce things, the last thing they want is a shut-down.

troybe

Assistant to the Travelling Secretary
Apr 19, 2008
Bunnings Institute for the Galactically Stupid
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
IMG_3498.JPG

Oh no! Cases doubled again. Brace yourselves for the third wave.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Actually comfort and companionship is absolutely a need and pushing through 2-3 households for 10-15 people is hardly a massive change. It’s literally the difference of that exact sized group meeting in a park vs meeting at a home.

I get why they haven’t done it, I really do, I also think it’s short sighted, people adhere to rules when they can understand them and understand the need and the benefits. Next weekend whilst we’re technically not allowed to see friends or family at home NSW and QLD (who have essentially the same case numbers) will have tens of thousands of people at a stadium and countless homes will be having barbecues with friends.

Just as you’re surprised more people expected more I’m stunned so many people are just accepting of this outcome.
Even the federal government who set the national strategy are critical of the Vic government but hey apparently thinking any differently to Dan Andrews means you’re some conspiracy theorist or something. It’s ridiculous.

It’s all about Dan trying to make himself a hero.

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting comment in Bold above - im tipping you have a job or your business isnt on the brink of collapse? My cousin's hsuband who runs an indoor swimming pool isnt happy at all - now been closed for over 6 months..........but we are supposed to question his viability as a person?

Nothing really changed for me (doesnt bother me but would be nice to have things to do). I can now go to a coles or woolworths, thats about it (im not going out after 9pm anyway and been leaving the house for more than 2 hours a day if i wanted to)

I already walked back the last bit (well I thought I had, turns out the edit hadn't saved), thrust of the overall comment though was that expecting more than we got yesterday was fanciful based on what we've consistently seen from DA and team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back