Free Agency Joe Daniher [RFA to Brisbane for 1st round compensation pick]

Going or staying?

• going

Votes: 166 91.2%
  • staying

Votes: 16 8.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

very true and yeah if it was pick 17 and another favourable trade that might make the difference. And obviously it depends on your salary cap position.

and maybe your salary cap isn’t as good of a spot as I thought it was But even at an extra mil over 5 years It’s a pretty easy thing to work around. It could just mean retiring one player that is barely best 22 for example. I’d take that rather than give up a pick 17.

but yeah depends on where your salary cap is at, just my thoughts.

if bombers were in the market for Jeremy Cameron as an example and we had to make $900k a year vs $700k a year if I was the club I’d say just make it happen, retire hooker/Hurley a year early and get him in.

Can't contribute salary for an uncontracted player - I don't understand exactly how the rule works but I'm certain it only applies to a contracted player you are trading out.

I considered Geelong too, but now that they only have 11 and 13 - their third pick has gone after ours - I don't see them as a concern anymore.

13 would still be a concern if geelong have the cap room and dont get cameron...can still get a kpf plus 2 other first round kids.

13 would still be a concern if geelong have the cap room and dont get cameron...can still get a kpf plus 2 other first round kids.
No it isnt.
Nothing to do with cap room

This is an 8 season player who has nominated a club.
Whilst technically there are rules about drafting, there isnt a club out there who wants a player who doesnt want to be at the club.
Why do you think Joe and Dons are at loggerheads in the first place ? Doesnt want to play for them anymore.

As always (well almost always aka Nick Stevens a generation ago) it is like Moses parting the Red Sea...clubs miraculously seem to pass on Joe until his club of choice gets a pick.

If you want an example of a KPF (or KPF/Ruck) remember how we procured Kurt Tippett. We actually won the flag that year and lousy picks, but he cost us nothing via the PSD. Moses parted the sea that year as well.

Someone should check, but it would be interesting how many (if ANY at all) have had any trouble getting to their club of choice via the draft.

Draft rules are strict, but thinking the rules arent slightly bent is amateurish. Its like pretending the kids dont try as hard with certain clubs during pre draft interviews.

If Joe wants to go to Brissy via a draft he'll get there.

His only worry is the obvious one....my mob.

100 good reasons for Sydney to not say a damn thing right now and claim disinterest...but hard to imagine why they would accommodate his wants last year, but when 1/4 the price we suddenly arnt interested anymore ? I'm pretty sure Joe would still be happy at Sydney as well. 50/50 chance we'll be getting involved at some point, and i'll guess its Dons only chance at a top 10 draft pick for him due to some perceived competition. Its simply about what Joe wants.

Last edited:

Your club is too well run to get involved in this type of shenanigans. They'll pick him if he's ok to go there. If Player manager drops a note saying "dont bother", they'll move on to other targets.

I think the same about Sydney as well, another no nonsense footy club - took a first pick for Tom Mitchell and moved on quickly is a great example.

If a trade doesn't work out and Joe, some how ends up at Sydney via Natonal or PSD, then I wouldn't mind. It would give me more enjoyment seeing Essendon suffer.

That’s a sad indictment on you enjoying another team suffer.

I hate teams as much as the next but enjoying another team suffer is really, really sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Won't be 100 though, like others have said it'll be closer to 200 x 5, possibly a million.

Unless AFL allows you to essentially boost the first two years of his salary for us (like throwing 500k each across 2 years for arguments sake :D) , then Daniher's salary will suddenly go to 800k across 5 years and you get pick 7. If you have cap space and we're allowed to do this, then this will make everyone happy.
Not allowed, that's manipulating salary to force a better compo. Compo is based on fixed salary only, incentives etc don't count. Whatever you put in that contract cannot be varied at all in future, it's fixed as immovable in your TPP

Sydney would only be interested if they don’t snag a key forward elsewhere. However at the end of the day he’s nominated Brisbane so he’ll get there.

Agree. Can't see you taking him in the PSD unless you've checked with him first & he's agreed. Times have changed, you're essentially drafting a sack of potatoes if a player doesn't want to be there, just won't happen.

I can understand the two parties being a fair way apart with initial negotiations. One will be taking the position of his worth based on his potential, the other based on the risk & his output over the last three years.

It may or may not be a trade, but I think a fair outcome will be reached.

What’s his “ilk”, though. His low salary (is 600k correct?) is a reflection of his significant injury history.
You'd think Brisbane would be loading the contract in accordance with the risk. i'm figuring that this would mean a contract that is highly performance based which may not translate to enough to see the bombers get a first round pick as free agency compensation. I'm interested to know whether Brisbane will work to see a win/ win result i.e we get pick 7 and they keep their picks without overpaying Daniher and whether this is an outcome that can even be achieved. We can push the contract figure up by matching the offer but we would be better off trying to work with Brisbane to get the win/win if it is achievable.

I miss Abasi.

You'd think Brisbane would be loading the contract in accordance with the risk. i'm figuring that this would mean a contract that is highly performance based which may not translate to enough to see the bombers get a first round pick as free agency compensation. I'm interested to know whether Brisbane will work to see a win/ win result i.e we get pick 7 and they keep their picks without overpaying Daniher and whether this is an outcome that can even be achieved. We can push the contract figure up by matching the offer but we would be better off trying to work with Brisbane to get the win/win if it is achievable.

I miss Abasi.

Abasi moderator misses you too, respected poster Dero.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I miss Abasi.
I think that the afl dont put up with that sort of manipulation anymore. Gold Coast and Richmond tried it last year with Ellis and got knocked back.
Band 2 seems decent value for Joe. Maybe you could get one of Brisbane's late firsts in a trade. But is it worth it for a five or so pick upgrade?

I think that the afl dont put up with that sort of manipulation anymore. Gold Coast and Richmond tried it last year with Ellis and got knocked back.
Band 2 seems decent value for Joe. Maybe you could get one of Brisbane's late firsts in a trade. But is it worth it for a five or so pick upgrade?

I agree.

I guess it only makes sense if we had another free agent we were signing. Meaning that there would be no compensation.

I can’t think of who that would be though.

I think the thing that gets lost a little here is that if Essendon match and Brisbane decide to walk away, leaving uncontracted Joe to enter the PSD and potentially get snapped up by the Swans at 3, then that's actually a worse scenario for Dodoro and the Essendon club then it is for Ambrogio and the Lions. Really, the pressure here is actually firmly on the Bombers to make sure that this outcome doesn't occur. Because that would be the absolute worst case scenario for Dodoro.

For the Lions it would be a "oh well" moment. Didn't quite work out but we can still compete for the flag in 2021. Let's see what else is out there.

But for the bombers it's a horrible situation where they would have rejected 2 first rounders for him in 2019 and then again 1 (potential) end of first round compensation pick in 2020, ultimately leaving them with nothing for a departing Joe. The optics on that scenario would be shocking and would far outweigh the poor optics of Brisbane just walking away.

Bombers can "play hardball" all they like, but at the end of the day there really isn't any need for the lions to entertain a trade at all. I think this one plays out as a simple FA transaction with the bombers almost certainly netting band 2 (if the reported media sums are correct).

It's a tough pill to swallow for essendon supporters but from a lion's perspective, there just simply isn't any real need for Brisbane to do any different here.

For the Lions it would be a "oh well" moment. Didn't quite work out but we can still compete for the flag in 2021. Let's see what else is out there.

But for the bombers it's a horrible situation where they would have rejected 2 first rounders for him in 2019 and then again 1 (potential) end of first round compensation pick in 2020, ultimately leaving them with nothing for a departing Joe. The optics on that scenario would be shocking and would far outweigh the poor optics of Brisbane just walking away.

Bombers can "play hardball" all they like, but at the end of the day there really isn't any need for the lions to entertain a trade at all. I think this one plays out as a simple FA transaction with the bombers almost certainly netting band 2 (if the reported media sums are correct).

It's a tough pill to swallow for essendon supporters but from a lion's perspective, there just simply isn't any real need for Brisbane to do any different here.
Can't see realistically Brisbane being good enough to win it without a good KPF and I'm sure their list manager knows that, having been looking at both Daniher and Cameron this year. Generally granny winning teams have at least one bonafide forward.

I think it would be rather pigheaded of Brisbane's recruitment team to play hard ball, let Joe walk to Sydney (won't happen) and then finish 4th again next year. Waste of a contendable year if they don't sign at least one big name forward imo.

Joe is not gonna 'dog' Essendon in any scenario that's being put forward by Brisbane.. he will want Essendon to be fairly compensated, he doesn't hate the club, he hates the Melb bubble.. so if we match so as to get compensated fairly, hes not going to walk to the PSD, he will either get pressure put on Brisbane to come to the table, or try get a deal done with either Syd or GWS to get there.. who knows, he might even give GC a call...

Joe is not gonna 'dog' Essendon in any scenario that's being put forward by Brisbane.. he will want Essendon to be fairly compensated, he doesn't hate the club, he hates the Melb bubble.. so if we match so as to get compensated fairly, hes not going to walk to the PSD, he will either get pressure put on Brisbane to come to the table, or try get a deal done with either Syd or GWS to get there.. who knows, he might even give GC a call...

Lol, you kept him against his wishes last year and are threatening to do the same this year.

Dodo being involved in not just 1 difficult trade but THREE, is going to be popcorn viewing for those not involved, and an absolute Saw-esque nightmare for the unfortunate parties that are .

Exhibit A, his opening trade propositions for Saad and Daniher :laughing:

But But... Essendon DOGGED him last year.... Ummm... Errr... Okay...

No wonder Essendon’s underperforming staff get away with so much. Their fans (apart from a few exceptions) seem utterly blind to their mistakes and think they can do no wrong.

Back