Opinion 2020 Draft picks 1/9/22/23/40/56/66/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, 4th, Haw 4th)

which mythological creature you think would win in a fight, Bigfoot or Santa?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Crows Draft Hand Tweet

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates​

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Last edited:
Are people on here actually writing off Fog and Jones?

Funny how the kids get stomped while trying to get their feet in THE WORST TEAM IN THE COMP.

We were deplorable throughout most of the year. Look at Himmelberg if you want a reminder that giving players some time is a good practice.

I'm sure many posters on here were thinking that McPherson was a write off too.

When you rebuild, you tend to need MORE patience than normal. I know we are sick of waiting (22 years sucks) but we need to reset and think about building a base in a very clear and structured manner. No quick fixes people. Not gonna happen. (Cough ... Power .... Cough)

Let's give these young players every chance to become cogs in the machine.

Add some top end class with our draft hand this year, trade in some needs in 2021/2022 and have a shot at it from 2023 onwards.

I think Fog has shown enough that he can get there. Not sure about Jones yet - if I can forget this year happened he showed signs back end of 2019. This year I think he is the worst player to have played for the club that has been given 10 games. Looked completely out of his depth - a boy getting smashed each week playing men, averaging 6 touches

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I respect your views but it is a huge risk picking a tall with number 1.

I'll get stung with this hypothetical but its like having a choice between a Dustin Martin or Tom Lynch who were top 10 picks retrospectively...

The risk is no different to picking a midfielder. You'll always have your kids who gun it up in the lower tiers and get found out by the step up in level. You'll always have those who get destroyed by injuries and just don't amount to anything due to that.

Really, if you are squad building, your two most vital sectors are midfield and your key forwards. As long as pick one goes into one of those areas, its fine.

Just putting it out there,

I feel most posters in the McDonald, Thilthope bandwagon are hanging hopes that we are going to land a Lance Franklin superstar that won games off his own accord....

But football has is heading away from mandatory superstar key forwards and this is why I wouldn't risk our best ever pick when we can get through other avenues a reasonably good 196/200cm unit that can play a target that will tap it down to go quality goal kicking midfielders.

Holland's & Phillips are easy the best picks for us.
Wow

I'm actually thinking McDonald is more that leadup 3rd tall in the Adel Tom Lynch mode

I'm not a fan TBH

The top picks have always excelled in the U17 All-Star games .....if not they have been extensively discussed by the commentators about background strength .....McDonald was not even mentioned throughout the game

Thilthorpe was extensively talked about and performed admirably as you'd expect of a top 10 pick

So we should just completely disregard a players season leading up to the draft? Only take blokes who perform in an All Stars game played a year ago and disregard all development a draftee may make in the interim?

McDonald performed very well playing in arguably the best league outside the AFL, against seasoned men. I mean he made the WAFL Team of the Year as a Skinny 18 year old Key Position player! His contested marking was fine for an 18 year old kid playing in that league. Go watch Knightmares video blog about him.

What I love most is you can see the pathway he has to being a very high level Key Forward. He didn’t dominate at u18s competition due to just being bigger and a finished product ala some other Top KPF draft picks. I believe the scope of improvement he has once he fills out and gets a couple of AFL preseasons under his belt is immense. I know it’s a big wrap but he’s more Nick Riewoldt than Tom Lynch (ours)

So we should just completely disregard a players season leading up to the draft? Only take blokes who perform in an All Stars game played a year ago and disregard all development a draftee may make in the interim?

McDonald performed very well playing in arguably the best league outside the AFL, against seasoned men. I mean he made the WAFL Team of the Year as a Skinny 18 year old Key Position player! His contested marking was fine for an 18 year old kid playing in that league. Go watch Knightmares video blog about him.

What I love most is you can see the pathway he has to being a very high level Key Forward. He didn’t dominate at u18s competition due to just being bigger and a finished product ala some other Top KPF draft picks. I believe the scope of improvement he has once he fills out and gets a couple of AFL preseasons under his belt is immense. I know it’s a big wrap but he’s more Nick Riewoldt than Tom Lynch (ours)
Have you watched McDonalds games, how he got his goals ? ........most were unopposed or relatively easy marks

I look at his skill sets and adaptability to a completely different level of pressure and defence offered by AFL teams

It's OK .....it's my opinion, and that opinion regularly gets questioned here, because I don't follow group think

TWT won't it ....I also went pre-draft on josh schache saying he was soft like his old man ....skilled but soft
Schache still went #1 ......but I've been proven correct

Said the same about English .....overgrown midfielder but soft as .....I'm on the mark there too

Last edited:
Have you watched McDonalds games, how he got his goals ? ........most were unopposed or relatively easy marks

I look at his skill sets and adaptability to a completely different level of pressure and defence offered by AFL teams

It's OK .....it's my opinion, and that opinion regularly gets questioned here, because I don't follow group think

TWT won't it
I'm with you on this one actually.

He's a talent no question, but I'm not sure he's a pick 1 type, or pick 2 after JUH.

I'm with you on this one actually.

He's a talent no question, but I'm not sure he's a pick 1 type, or pick 2 after JUH.
He's definitely Top 10, due to the lack of height in next years draft prospects ......but compare him to Lukosius, similar roaming player .... McDonald is not a patch on Luka

What are McDonalds elite traits, other than endurance ? .....as a club we've always relied on elite testing results at the combines, it's been a trait of ours .......Leap, speed, agility .....how did McDonald rank ?

In fact coming into 2020, the negative on McDonald by Draft Watchers was his marking

TWT won't it ....I also went pre-draft on josh schache saying he was soft like his old man ....skilled but soft

Said the same about English .....overgrown midfielder but soft as .....I'm on the mark there too

Yeah actually, I went to a couple of Demons games and watched him in person this year, paying particularly close attention as I knew he was in the mix for Pick 1. He impressed me. But frankly I’m not a scout and don’t profess to be, my preference is McDonald, but wether we go Hollands, TT or whoever, I’ll trust the guys who get the big bucks to make that decision and back them in.

The main part of your original post I took issue with was the fact that just because McDonald didn’t “star” in an Exhibition game over a year ago, that makes him unworthy of the No1 pick. When in fact, the body of work he’s put together this year more than favourably stacks up against any other Pick 1 from the last decade.

Yeah actually, I went to a couple of Demons games and watched him in person this year, paying particularly close attention as I knew he was in the mix for Pick 1. He impressed me. But frankly I’m not a scout and don’t profess to be, my preference is McDonald, but wether we go Hollands, TT or whoever, I’ll trust the guys who get the big bucks to make that decision and back them in.

The main part of your original post I took issue with was the fact that just because McDonald didn’t “star” in an Exhibition game over a year ago, that makes him unworthy of the No1 pick. When in fact, the body of work he’s put together this year more than favourably stacks up against any other Pick 1 from the last decade.
I also watched his WAFL games ....so it was an opinion based on an accumulation of information

I am and have always been more excited about Grainger-Barrass if you've followed my posts ......seems he is gathering favor elsewhere ..... I saw him as more than a Defender , a potential pack marking forward with a great great pair of hands

You’re seeing the same as me with McDonald. Can find uncontested space but won’t clunk any contested marks or hit packs hard to spill the crumb at AFL level.

thus my unpopular opinion earlier and comparison to Josh Jenkins. Time will tell but for me McDonald is a pass.

I sort of agree as well,it’s about where he will be in the AFL ranks. Can he transfer his game into the AFL or will be become an average player.

I think thilthorpes game is better suited because he’s bigger and a better contested mark.

Drafting is a science of seeing the future player he could be and how he will develop.

only thing that scares me is Hamish when it comes to picking first rounders, always seems to pick later picks well but always goes left field with firsts. It worked very well with Doedee but not with Gallucci.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I sort of agree as well,it’s about where he will be in the AFL ranks. Can he transfer his game into the AFL or will be become an average player.

I think thilthorpes game is better suited because he’s bigger and a better contested mark.

Drafting is a science of seeing the future player he could be and how he will develop.

only thing that scares me is Hamish when it comes to picking first rounders, always seems to pick later picks well but always goes left field with firsts. It worked very well with Doedee but not with Gallucci.
I agree. Reckon thilthorpe suits the modern game beautifully with his size and tank. It was interesting to see himmelberg get some big numbers on the gps. Key forwards have to work bloody hard up and back these days and it's vital they make it to plenty of contests. Old school forwards like the fog finding it a bit more tough to get involved.

Ah yes. Gallucci was so left field he was picked 15 when he was rated at 15-20 pre-draft...

Ah yes. Gallucci was so left field he was picked 15 when he was rated at 15-20 pre-draft...
Was he?? I just don’t think he was highly rated or we were linked to him. One thing about Hamish is, he very rarely picks a player that doesn’t have the attitude to make it.

I agree. Reckon thilthorpe suits the modern game beautifully with his size and tank. It was interesting to see himmelberg get some big numbers on the gps. Key forwards have to work bloody hard up and back these days and it's vital they make it to plenty of contests. Old school forwards like the fog finding it a bit more tough to get involved.
McDonald also has excellent endurance.

Was he?? I just don’t think he was highly rated or we were linked to him. One thing about Hamish is, he very rarely picks a player that doesn’t have the attitude to make it.

He was expected to go at 15-20 by most sources.

Twomey had him at 15
Buckaneara had him 10-20 (Bucky was seriously hot on Gooch).
Beverage (fox sports) had him at 14
Balmer (AFL draft central) had him at 24.

Even on bigfooty

ePDS had him at 14
Knightmare had Gallucci going to us at 15 (though, Knightmare didn't care for Gallucci profile wise, having him out of his top 30)
Chris had him at 36

The only 1st round left field selection is Doedee. Jones and McHenry were reaches, though were rated not too far off where we had picks and the rest were as expected.

Then you think wrong, Gallucci was always in 1st round discussion in his draft year after a very good bottom age year, if anything he probably slipped a little over the entirity of his draft year.

He was expected to go at 15-20 by most sources.

Twomey had him at 15
Buckaneara had him 10-20 (Bucky was seriously hot on Gooch).
Beverage (fox sports) had him at 14
Balmer (AFL draft central) had him at 24.

Even on bigfooty

ePDS had him at 14
Knightmare had Gallucci going to us at 15 (though, Knightmare didn't care for Gallucci profile wise, having him out of his top 30)
Chris had him at 36

The only 1st round left field selection is Doedee. Jones and McHenry were reaches, though were rated not too far off where we had picks and the rest were as expected.
Well I’m happy to be wrong but like McHeny, there is nothing special about either of them. Both not first rounders in my eyes

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of trading pick 2, not taking Thilthorpe or McDonald and targeting mids, squeeze that Brad compo lemon.

In a couple of years our backline and midfield could be pretty much set.

Borlase could help fill a key back position.

If we can't make any combination of Himmelberg, Fogarty, McAsey and Worrell work up forward we use free agency/trade to sort the forward line out.

Not saying this would be the plan, a bird in the hand and all that, but Thilthorpe could even be one of the forwards we target down the track a la Hately.
Its funny you say that because hamish has said that we draft on talent and trade for needs.

I will be livid if we take McDonald over this guy.

toss of the coin for me between Hollands and Thilthorpe.
I’ve seen very little of the players, Holland’s looked like a star in that Allstars game, but this footage is very impressive, decent mark, good disposal, mobile and good footy brain. We’ve got to get pick 2 so we can grab both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back