Opinion 2020 Draft picks 1/9/22/23/40/56/66/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, 4th, Haw 4th)

which mythological creature you think would win in a fight, Bigfoot or Santa?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Crows Draft Hand Tweet

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates​

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
More notes on some WA draftees by eDPS

DGB is an interesting read

Disco Fox

All Australian
Oct 7, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
I sort of agree as well,it’s about where he will be in the AFL ranks. Can he transfer his game into the AFL or will be become an average player.

I think thilthorpes game is better suited because he’s bigger and a better contested mark.

Drafting is a science of seeing the future player he could be and how he will develop.

only thing that scares me is Hamish when it comes to picking first rounders, always seems to pick later picks well but always goes left field with firsts. It worked very well with Doedee but not with Gallucci.

DGB was moved onto McDonald in a WAFL game this year after McDonald had scored 2 or 3 goals in the first half - he shut him down completely. He is very talented & mature. The Thilthorpe highlights reel is pretty damned impressive.

CroCop

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I also watched his WAFL games ....so it was an opinion based on an accumulation of information

I am and have always been more excited about Grainger-Barrass if you've followed my posts ......seems he is gathering favor elsewhere ..... I saw him as more than a Defender , a potential pack marking forward with a great great pair of hands

Totally agree, been saying the same things about Grainger -Barass in earlier posts . Has that pack marking ability to be a great forward and more nimble than McDonald an Thilthorpe .

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

Did McDonald not play in the game ?

Tall defender with athleticism and great combine results. And now he's played forward that one time so everyone can reference it forever.

Do I smell a Hamish special coming up? Ticks a lot of (his) boxes

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
DGB was moved onto McDonald in a WAFL game this year after McDonald had scored 2 or 3 goals in the first half - he shut him down completely. He is very talented & mature. The Thilthorpe highlights reel is pretty damned impressive.
No shame there as he will likely shutdown most forwards in time. Plays like a young Jeremy Mcgovern. DGB and Doedee in our backline would be elite along with Worrell/McAsey, McPherson, Hamill, Milera, Brown. Defence wins flags especially with the modern game of low scoring.

Wouldn't be unhappy with one of either McDonald or Thilthorpe along with DGB. I feel Brad will likely stay and we may be able to pick up Horne next year with a top 5 pick. If not there will be another quality mid at that pick. Add in Hately this year and another midfield trade next year and the midfield should be fine. Ideally we can manoeuvre some trades to allow us to get a key back (DGB),a KPF (McDonald/Thilthorpe) and an elite mid (Hollands/Phillips).

Last edited:

Brett Cummings

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I will be livid if we take McDonald over this guy.

toss of the coin for me between Hollands and Thilthorpe.
I will be livid if we dont get pick 2 and pick thilthorpe over hollands at 1.

some here say no because of the acl but I can also make the argument that thilthorpe has dodgy groins. having bad groins can easily ruin a career just as bad.

b crouch had the same problems and he didnt turn into the elite mid I thought he would be. its totally slowed him down.

CROUCH #2

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
So remind me why Richmond targeted Tom Lynch as a free agent on big coin....

Talent it talent & we should be selecting the best regardless of the position they play.

Note: attaining through free agency....

I'm just calling out we don't have to draft a forward and our window isn't for a few years

No shame there as he will likely shutdown most forwards in time. Plays like a young Jeremy Mcgovern. DGB and Doedee in our backline would be elite along with Worrell/McAsey, McPherson, Hamill, Milera, Brown. Defence wins flags especially with the modern game of low scoring.

Wouldn't be unhappy with one of either McDonald or Thilthorpe along with DGB. I feel Brad will likely stay and we may be able to pick up Horne next year with a top 5 pick. If not there will be another quality mid at that pick. Add in Hately this year and another midfield trade next year and the midfield should be fine. Ideally we can manoeuvre some trades to allow us to get a key back (DGB),a KPF (McDonald/Thilthorpe) and an elite mid (Hollands/Phillips).

The more low scoring a league is, the more vital offensively great players are to win a premiership.

We've drafted McAsey last season. Let's not waste our time with key backs. We've already over invested in them.

Totally agree, been saying the same things about Grainger -Barass in earlier posts . Has that pack marking ability to be a great forward and more nimble than McDonald an Thilthorpe .

Yeah no. If DGB had the potential to be a great forward, he would be playing as a forward.

No club is going to waste someone who could be a gun KPF at center half back.

Note: attaining through free agency....

I'm just calling out we don't have to draft a forward and our window isn't for a few years
Our needs are everywhere.

We have to draft the best talent available regardless of position. Ruling out a position is crazy talk.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Yeah no. If DGB had the potential to be a great forward, he would be playing as a forward.

You do not waste someone who could be a gun KPF at centre half back. No junior club is that stupid.
Aaron Naughton was drafted as a Defender ....so obviously his junior club and WA state team were stupid

Makes a pretty handy forward at the Bulldogs wouldn't you say ;)

Anyone with the hands / marking prowess of DGB , can play def or fwd

Our needs are everywhere.

We have to draft the best talent available regardless of position. Ruling out a position is crazy talk.

We don't need everything though. At this point in time we don't need KPDs as we drafted McAsey last season + Worrell, Butts and Borlace.

We can also go so far to say we barely need defenders at this point in time. We're well flushed with kids who are looking good.

Aaron Naughton was drafted as a Defender ....so obviously his junior club and WA state team were stupid

Your example is a player who barely averaged above a goal a game and has regressed this year (especially when nearly half of his goals came against a side who was making a claim to being the worst side in AFL/VFL history). Handy is not great.

Also no. A great pack mark in defense is an average one forward. The degree of difficulty for a pack mark is much higher as a forward, as you are always up against it numbers wise. Saying a defender will thrive forward of the ball because they look good in relatively easy conditions is certainly something. It's not difficult to see how unlikely that transition is for anything more than a swingman who could kind of do it in a pinch.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Disco Fox

All Australian
Oct 7, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
And just like that, the tide has turned against McDonald for no apparent reason.

Group think at its finest.
Nobody on here has enough intimate knowledge about any of these players to make damning judgements - the fun is throwing our "uneducated" opinions at each other in a sort of "mine is bigger than yours" sort of way. It is a commonly held view by recruiters that when a club has Pick 1 they should select the player that they feel has the most talent & maturity to be a long-term AFL player, who they hope will turn out to be an actual champion. So, to say that the Crows should ignore DGB because so far he's played in defence(only to our limited knowledge!) is a nonsense. If they deem him more gifted than RT, EH or LMcD then they'll pick him. McDonald rates DGB very highly.
Separate question - I thought I saw a reference to an All Star draftee game to be held at Thebarton Oval this coming Friday. Can anyone here confirm this & is it open to the public?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

The kid strikes me as the contemporary version of a CHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back