Mark of the Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Weird thing was that Walsh's mark wasn't even unique. Bont had a near identical mark running blindly into a pack, but kept his feet while flattening Heeney. Both good marks, but hardly MOTY territory. Bit of a weak field this year tbh

Weird thing was that Walsh's mark wasn't even unique. Bont had a near identical mark running blindly into a pack, but kept his feet while flattening Heeney. Both good marks, but hardly MOTY territory. Bit of a weak field this year tbh
Not the same at all. Walsh ran full pace 40m and leaped into a giant.

Take your doggy goggles off.

It's a really good mark, but I see these posters claiming it is the same as the Riewoldt and Brown marks or the Bartel mark posted above. But there is a fundamental and important difference - Walsh did not hit the pack front on, but had (correctly) got himself in position in time to take the contact to the back/side.

We rightly judge running back with the flight to hit a pack front on as exceptionally courageous and rare. But there is nothing exceptional about someone running back with the flight to take contact to the back/side, even if it still takes a lot of courage.

Very good, strong mark. But Mark of the Year? Nah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a really good mark, but I see these posters claiming it is the same as the Riewoldt and Brown marks or the Bartel mark posted above. But there is a fundamental and important difference - Walsh did not hit the pack front on, but had (correctly) got himself in position in time to take the contact to the back/side.

We rightly judge running back with the flight to hit a pack front on as exceptionally courageous and rare. But there is nothing exceptional about someone running back with the flight to take contact to the back/side, even if it still takes a lot of courage.

Very good, strong mark. But Mark of the Year? Nah.
Spot on. I reckon McGovern and a few other intercepting defenders take a similar mark weekly

The Walsh mark is embarrassingly weak compared to this.

Yeah because jumping into a vertically leaping Adam Cooney is so much stronger than a forward steaming Charlie Dixon.

I love that Bartel mark, so am not putting it down, just pointing out some people are ******* whinners.

The Walsh mark is embarrassingly weak compared to this.

Without going off topic and over thinking this thing too much...

I don't think Walsh ever really appeared vulnerable with his mark. He was actually able to launch into the pack and almost turn to protect himself. Not saying it doesn't require an amount of bravery to do that - but it's a very different scenario to standing under ball flat footed and vulnerable with your head and kidneys exposed, just waiting for the pack to crunch you. Or, running backwards with no opportunity to brace yourself and protect your face, balls and liver.

Interestingly with Bartel, you see him look at the fall of the ball just as he starts sprinting towards it, and at this point is when he really commits. Do you think he saw Mooney and Scarlett and thought 'they'll protect me here' and went for it?

Had those two big senior guys not been there, do you think he still would have done it?

Is there actually people who believe this mark to be even equal with 2002 Brown and 2004 Riewoldt? That's a big "yeah nah" from me fellas. Still a very good mark, but he wasn't close to being potentially hurt while marking compared to the others (Brown and Riewoldt) which removes it from that conversation all by itself. Still a very good courageous mark and while I personally don't believe it should've been MOTY, I'm not really shocked about it. Just my take on it

Great mark and not a surprise tbh. Called it moty when it happened.

Those salty campaigners hanging sh*t on Walsh remember you're talking about a second year kid here. Ease up.

No one is hanging s**t on Walsh as a player for this, pretty much everyone has called it for what it is, a good, strong, courageous mark. It's a great mark on the day, I'm yet to see anyone dispute that.

You're being too defensive here over nothing. I don't know why you're trying to vehemently defend a nothing award when a first time viewer to the game could see there have been better grabs in 2020.

And as everyone neutral can see and has observed, there were multiple better marks played on the weekly round highlights all through the night, at least 2 or 3 a week. Probably more that weren't even cited.

I'm not sure if this was fan or committee voted, but it's probably the biggest howler of the award when you look through all the other contenders. I don't know how this one got up, but the decision makers whoever they were got it completely wrong.

It's a not much of an award anyway, but if it's going to mean something we can't have a winning mark like this taking out MOTY. That's embarrassing.

Is there actually people who believe this mark to be even equal with 2002 Brown and 2004 Riewoldt? That's a big "yeah nah" from me fellas. Still a very good mark, but he wasn't close to being potentially hurt while marking compared to the others (Brown and Riewoldt) which removes it from that conversation all by itself. Still a very good courageous mark and while I personally don't believe it should've been MOTY, I'm not really shocked about it. Just my take on it
Agree, not up there will Brown, Riewoldt and Bartel, but they are 3 of the best marks I have ever seen.

This was a worthy MOTY in a shallow field this year.

No one is hanging sh*t on Walsh as a player for this, pretty much everyone has called it for what it is, a good, strong, courageous mark. It's a great mark on the day, I'm yet to see anyone dispute that.

You're being too defensive here over nothing. I don't know why you're trying to vehemently defend a nothing award when a first time viewer to the game could see there have been better grabs in 2020.

And as everyone neutral can see and has observed, there were multiple better marks played on the weekly round highlights all through the night, at least 2 or 3 a week. Probably more that weren't even cited.

I'm not sure if this was fan or committee voted, but it's probably the biggest howler of the award when you look through all the other contenders. I don't know how this one got up, but the decision makers whoever they were got it completely wrong.

It's a not much of an award anyway, but if it's going to mean something we can't have a winning mark like this taking out MOTY. That's embarrassing.
So much salt and hatred.

Let it go mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back