Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
Great thread great bump.

Cotchin eclipses Selwood, in both individual awards, and as a captain in team results.

The coming flag to be decided will surely impact their ratings

If the cats win, , it will be 5 flags to 4 dangerwoods way, if tigers win it will be 6 flags to 3 motchins way.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Great thread great bump.

Cotchin eclipses Selwood, in both individual awards, and as a captain in team results.

If the cats win, , it will be 5 flags to 4 dangerwoods way, if tigers win it will be 6 flags to 3 motchins way.

Take out Cotchin’s 2012 season and he’s closer to Richie Vandenberg than he is to Joel Selwood.

Will be an amazing career but let’s not kid ourselves. He’s only been an elite midfielder for maybe 2 or 3 years.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great thread great bump.

I get what you are saying but this somewhat diminishes the contribution of their teammates.
Maybe a bit of 2 on 2 in the 50m arc during the preseason? Wouldn’t be any worse a spectacle than AFLX

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Take out Cotchin’s 2012 season and he’s closer to Richie Vandenberg than he is to Joel Selwood.

Will be an amazing career but let’s not kid ourselves. He’s only been an elite midfielder for maybe 2 or 3 years.
2-3 years? Lmao.
16, 19, 18 and 17 brownlow votes in the years around 2012.

He was an elite midfielder from 2011-2015.
In 2017 he became an elite leader. He impacts games heavily without getting the touches he used to get. 2017 QF is the perfect example of that.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
2-3 years? Lmao.
16, 19, 18 and 17 brownlow votes in the years around 2012.

He was an elite midfielder from 2011-2015.
In 2017 he became an elite leader. He impacts games heavily without getting the touches he used to get. 2017 QF is the perfect example of that.

4 years then :thumbsu: nowhere near the other 3 for consistency at the top.

I do agree he is a great leader.

_DBF_

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal; Melbourne City.
Wouldn't go as far to say anyone's tougher than Selwood, but Trent is an amazing, manic and brave competitor, and I'd rather have no one lead my club, or fight it out in the clinches.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
So far Cotchin and Martin > Selwood and Danger in finals. next week might change that if cats win, if Tigers win then it is not even a contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Lot of the discussion seems to be around Selwood v Cotchin. Coin flip for mine, gun to my head would probably go Selwood. Imho Dusty v Danger is the deciding factor if you actually want to seperate the two groups as there’s a clear gap there.

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
Dusty and Danger will go down as all time legendary players.

Selwood and Cotchin both outstanding captains.

I'd probably go Danger + Selwood if I could take a duo as 18 year olds, couldn't go wrong with either pair though.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cotchin is a funny case. His standing in game has turned by 180% since 2016. At the start of 2016 he had finals loss to 9th, a coin toss and a 9 disposal final to his name (all three captaining a team with a history of underachieving). He was probably considered the worst captain in the league by a lot of people. A few years on he is a Brownlow medalist, dual premiership captain and has some inspiring finals to his name. Primed to go out a great of the game.

You would have been better off saying ‘just as tough’
The Selwoods are up there with JB as far as putting their bodies on the line. No way Cotchin is tougher than Joel.

Selwood cops a head knock and he's back on the ground within minutes.

Cotchin cops a head knock and he's gone the rest of the game.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Cotchin is a better player now than when he was getting 30 touches a game. He was exceptionally clean under pressure when the game was there to be won on Friday night.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Selwood is the 2nd best player last 15 years, goes without saying he falls only behind Hodge.

All the Ablett / Buddy fans will disagree, however, great players AND captains are extremely rare, and would always be first picked in my team.

It's tough for Cotch to be in that elite couplet on the great player comparison.

However, he is better as a skipper and player than most people admit, or perhaps they don't actually watch the game and follow the media narrative and their consensus instead of making up their own minds. For example, did anyone have him on the top 5 or so players on Friday night? Prob not.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Cotchin has been better than Selwood this year, but Selwood's had a few injuries (still carrying one). I'd pick Cotchin over Selwood. I think Cotchin could win the Norm Smith, I don't think Selwood with one hand is even a chance. (Cotchin racks up another Prelim MRP fine this year, too).

But Dangerfield is better than Martin. He butchers it more (dusty is a better kick), but Dangerfield gets it more (including in finals), gets his own clearances, takes more contested marks and is more dangerous when the ball isn't in his hands. If the ball went to a wing to a one-on-one contest between the two either in the air or on the ground, Dangerfield would win the ball 8 times out of 10.

All 4 of those will play well in the GF.

What's more important is if

Duncan, Parfitt, Menegola and Guthrie

play better than

Bolton, Prestia, Edwards and Pickett

Guthrie and Bolton have had outstanding years.

Edwards and Duncan are really good players with some time off this year due to injuries. Prestia and Menegola seem to get the job done.

Pickett's best game of his career was his first in a Grand Final, maybe it was luck in a dominant display, maybe he's a bigger game player, but haven't seen much in finals this year from him and he's been pretty ordinary throughout the season.

Parfitt has been tough in the finals but a bit wasteful and makes strange decisions sometimes.

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
Cotchin has been better than Selwood this year, but Selwood's had a few injuries (still carrying one). I'd pick Cotchin over Selwood. I think Cotchin could win the Norm Smith, I don't think Selwood with one hand is even a chance. (Cotchin racks up another Prelim MRP fine this year, too).

But Dangerfield is better than Martin. He butchers it more (dusty is a better kick), but Dangerfield gets it more (including in finals), gets his own clearances, takes more contested marks and is more dangerous when the ball isn't in his hands. If the ball went to a wing to a one-on-one contest between the two either in the air or on the ground, Dangerfield would win the ball 8 times out of 10.

All 4 of those will play well in the GF.

What's more important is if

Duncan, Parfitt, Menegola and Guthrie

play better than

Bolton, Prestia, Edwards and Pickett

Guthrie and Bolton have had outstanding years.

Edwards and Duncan are really good players with some time off this year due to injuries. Prestia and Menegola seem to get the job done.

Pickett's best game of his career was his first in a Grand Final, maybe it was luck in a dominant display, maybe he's a bigger game player, but haven't seen much in finals this year from him and he's been pretty ordinary throughout the season.

Parfitt has been tough in the finals but a bit wasteful and makes strange decisions sometimes.
This is a joke yeah?

Dusty has been BOG or very close to it in almost every final from 2017. Whereas Danger has continually gone missing.

There's a far far better chance that Dusty will perform this weekend than Dangerflop will.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
This is a joke yeah?

Dusty has been BOG or very close to it in almost every final from 2017. Whereas Danger has continually gone missing.

There's a far far better chance that Dusty will perform this weekend than Dangerflop will.

When? When has he continually gone missing? Mate he had one quiet half against the best team of the last 4 years. Stop making things up. It seriously cannot be that difficult to simply type "Patrick Dangerfield AFL Tables" into Google. You look like a fool.
These are his finals performances since joining the Cats. Bearing in mind he's spent more time forward this year than he has in the middle..
Now, save maybe for the WIN against West Coast (where he had all but four of his touches contested anyway so it's not like he wasn't having an impact, and he still got the ball inside 50 more than any other player on the field), could you please point to a game where he unequivicolly just wasn't there. Thanks in advance.

17 touches, 3 goal assists, 9 inside 50s, 3 clearances (win vs Brisbane)
19 touches, 4 goals, 9 contested possessions, 2 inside 50s, 3 clearances (win vs Collingwood)
22 touches, 1 goal, 10 contested, 7 inside 50s, 6 clearances (loss vs Port)
27 touches, 1 goal, 7 clearances, 4 inside 50s (loss vs Richmond)
18 touches, 0 goals, 7 inside 50s, 14 contested possessions, 5 clearances (win vs West Coast)
32 touches, 1 goal, 1 goal assist, 7 inside 50s, 7 clearances loss vs Collingwood)
25 touches, 7 tacjkles, 1 goal assist, 3 inside 50s, 14 contested possessions, 4 clearances (loss vs Melbourne)
24 touches, 2 goals, 9 tackles, 5 clearances, 14 contested possessions (loss vs Adelaide)
26 touches, 4 goals, 4 contested marks (win vs Sydney)
31 touches, 1 goal (loss vs Richmond)
39 touches, 1 goal, 9 inside 50s, 9 clearances, 21 contested possessions (loss vs Sydney)
35 touches, 1 goal assist, 6 inside 50s, 7 clearances, 19 contested possessions (win vs Hawthorn)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back