Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'd take a Mickey Mouse cup :(

We'd have to learn to throw & dive a lot better.

We'd also have to have a lot more supporters so the AFL would want to manufacture wins based upon ratings. I genuinely entertain that the Richmond v Port game was rigged.

received_3352212411559255.jpeg

Geelong are way more tolerable than Richmond.

Look I get the Danger thing but he's a gun and I'm also relieved we've never chased him only to get trumped by some off-books counteroffer.

Cotchin is infinitely more smug and protected than an already protected species in Selwood.

Hawkins is an exciting old school key forward who also seems a good bloke. Lynch is a 6'6" turd.

I know the odd ok cats fan. As for Richmond..

We have a historical link with Geelong while Richmond have tried to nuke us in the past and that's before we even get to the sniveling daughter of a past president.

Hopefully Geelong win by 1000 pts while Richmond lose several players post-game to long term gluteal injuries.
I want to believe in this, but I cant let go of the self entitlement Geelong fans have, especially around how Danger deserves a flag and Whateley's smugness if they salute.
Then again * Richmond and Caro and Punt Rd.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I want to believe in this, but I cant let go of the self entitlement Geelong fans have, especially around how Danger deserves a flag and Whateley's smugness if they salute.
Then again fu** Richmond and Caro and Punt Rd.

I know it's like choosing between black plague and Ross River fever mate.

But at least Geelong are somewhat self-built over the years. Yeh they had father-son luck but that's just a roll of the dice.

Nobody seems to care that Richmond's best player, captain and former captain both arrived courtesy of sloshing around the bottom of the ladder for years chalking up top 3 picks.

To the cats credit, they have drafted and developed really well, been attractive to FAs as a result and nailed their trading impeccably.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

But at least Geelong are somewhat self-built over the years. Yeh they had father-son luck but that's just a roll of the dice.

Nobody seems to care that Richmond's best player, captain and former captain both arrived courtesy of sloshing around the bottom of the ladder for years chalking up top 3 picks.

To the cats credit, they have drafted and developed really well, been attractive to FAs as a result and nailed their trading impeccably.
Chris Newman?

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne

And got a nice handout from the government.

Not wishing injury on anybody, but what if Dangers was to slip on the front step of the dry cleaners when he takes his cream-pie suit in for cleaning on Wednesday, does his knee and Gazza slips a disc trying to help him limp back to the hyperbaric.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Chris Newman?
If anyone could blow a top 3 pick on Newman you'd bet on the tiggers.

As a neutral, can we barrack for both teams to get a stomach bug and call the game off?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I won't be watching but I will be barracking for Richmond. They've already got a few recent flags, one more (this one with a nice shiny asterix) won't hurt. Compare that to Geelong who are ******* gagging for one before 60% of their list retires in the next couple of years. I would get some smug satisfaction if GAJ failed to live the dream after bailing on the Gold Coast and ******* them into the dirt, and I feel similar toward Dangerfiog because, well, he's a flog and I hate just how much the media spitshines his ball sack. I also generally just have a lot of dislike for Geelong because of how kissed on the dick they have been by the government(s).

Geelong are way more tolerable than Richmond.

Look I get the Danger thing but he's a gun and I'm also relieved we've never chased him only to get trumped by some off-books counteroffer.

Cotchin is infinitely more smug and protected than an already protected species in Selwood.

Hawkins is an exciting old school key forward who also seems a good bloke. Lynch is a 6'6" turd.

I know the odd ok cats fan. As for Richmond..

We have a historical link with Geelong while Richmond have tried to nuke us in the past and that's before we even get to the sniveling daughter of a past president.

Hopefully Geelong win by 1000 pts while Richmond lose several players post-game to long term gluteal injuries.
While both results are unpalatable I personally would find Geelong the worse result. I hope they s**t the bed and get done by plenty. While I can't stand Richmond they are the lesser of two evils for mine.

While both results are unpalatable I personally would find Geelong the worse result. I hope they sh*t the bed and get done by plenty. While I can't stand Richmond they are the lesser of two evils for mine.

Luke72, nope, I’m on the bad diarrhoea bandwagon

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Three flags for Brisbane this century, two for Sydney, two for West Coast, four for the Hawks and either four for Geelong or three for Richmond. Can we have a crumb of flag please?

40% chance of showers in Brissy, but there’s 60% chance of showers in Melbourne. Odds are in Gils favor!

one would hope that the 40% of showers coincides with it being like 28 degrees and everything is humid and greasy AF. Will make for a cracking spectacle that I won't watch anyway.

I reckon in the last 10 years I have only watch 2 entire Grand Finals 2012 and 2018.

Stat 1 we would be abysmal in. IIRC we performed poorly in our ability to create a turn over, and were scored heavily against from them.

The stats also point to the much debated "Plan B"

Stat 2 is points from the forward half, so the ability to apply forward half pressure.
Stat 3 is points from the back half, So the ability to transition the ball back to forward and score.

Given our apparent cutting of poor half back footskills it would appear we are looking to refresh for stat 3. Cleaner movement out of the back half.

Stat 2 highlights the absolute need for us to fix our small forward issues. I haven't looked at our stats here but I would think we are pretty poor at keeping it in there when it goes in there.

So it is not the smashing of 1 of these stats, it is the combination of them that points to flexibility of game style, having another method to go to when the first is being countered.

I mean sure people can go on about hurr hurr it means if you score more you win. which is overtly simplistic in terms of analysis. Top 5 in 3 out of 5 makes you a contender. We would be top 5 in none and very far away from anything. But if we track these stats it will at least show where we are looking to develop.

To that end if anyone knows of a free resource that gives these stats please share it.
Yeah.

I agree with most of that. Last year (2019) we did well on the turnover differential didn't we? Especially under Shaw? We shut the corridor and teams would go long down the line and it was Taz and Pittard him really helped us stop them then drive turnovers from the stoppage/boundary throw in. (Scotts' coaching and structures were designed to minimise turnovers.)

Stats 2 and 3 - definitely an issue caused by injuries this year.

Re 2: Our forward line was missing Turner, Ziebell, Garner and then Thomas for most of the season. All of those players were crucial to our forward pressure last year (2019 season.). They are all hard players to beat, even Thomas because he's played against adults since he was 15.

Re 3: Our best transitions have at least one of TT, LDU, Higgo involved and a couple of others from the midfield often starting the process (winning contested loose balls as usual). Can see Perez fitting right into that process too. Sometimes an intercept mark is involved but it seems that we didn't mark then transition well but rather relied on spoils and winning contested loose ball.

(Possibly cos we can be so slow to move the ball. Which is most likely a side effect of a game style that tries to minimise turnovers.)

Cunnington not winning clearances anywhere on the ground adds to our problems.

Anyway success in stats two and three is dependent on success in stats one and five. You can only start a scoring chain from a turnover or winning a contest, whatever end of the ground it comes from. Even a ball up is a ruck contest. Often they lead to contests for possession and the clearance as well. (When they don't it's usually cos the ruckman has clearly won the contest.)

This is an example of the synergy Snake_Baker is always on about. Four of those stats are dependent on each other ... well two and three are dependent on the other two (1 & 5). So the stats tell us about how the team functions but unless you can see how they fit together to form a picture of the play as it unfolds over a game you will miss the point. They basically break the process of see ball, get ball, get ball forward, kick goals into a structure or schematic that may indicate where the side is falling down.

The stat about scores from opposition entries into their forward 50 stands on its own mostly but there is also a connection between it and scoring chains from the back half. And between scoring chains from inside 50 (to the opposition).

Honestly after typing all that I feel like i havent actually said anything cos it all seems so obvious. Sorry.

While both results are unpalatable I personally would find Geelong the worse result. I hope they sh*t the bed and get done by plenty. While I can't stand Richmond they are the lesser of two evils for mine.
It's a bit like the US election isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back