Review Preliminary Final, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Because they were oiled up.
Not sure how they can allow that to happen.
I don't remember a heap of our tackles slipping or slipping high.

I do remember a heap of arm tackles or wrapping up players around the waist while leaving the arms free to dispose of the ball or slipping off the legs.

Centre bounces/Stoppages are quite complex with a lot of variables. Can you pinpoint where we went wrong?

It's interesting there was period a few years back where Chris Scott was happy for the Cats to lose a clearance around the ground as long a they forced the other team to rush the kick and then he had the backline set up to take uncontested marks and then attack from there. They use to be one of the worst teams for winning clearances.

However it seems they have overhauled that plan after a few years of losing prelims. They look like they're now set up with better clearance players like Guthrie and Parfitt and also have devised a very clear way of exiting stoppages. I lost count how many times they just linked up our of stoppages and we couldn't lay a hand.

Another thing that was very obvious on the night was when we kicked long they had a player in front of our forward and another behind. Almost seemed like they 4 extra players on the ground they were so well structured.

They play the Gabba as well as Richmond if not better. Think they might beat the Tigers this week. Least I hope they do.

One of the most obvious things from sat night was how easy Geelong players broke our tackles. Guys like Ablett/ Blicavs just waltzed through and when we did tackle them they still got handballs away. The big bodies of Geelong players was a massive factor - many of our under 23 players are still building in that department.

Tackling and our ability to win clearances has improved ten fold but Cats showed us Saturday night we still have a way to go in those areas.
Remind me when we played Geelong back in the 2000’s and they commented our bigger bodies were what they needed to get to. The missed tackles were telling but we also stuck them against Richmond so not too far away.

I agree ,it was frightening how they were able to smash us and be so clean out of clearances whereas when we did get our chance we were rushed and generally gave the next guy in the chain not much hope .That's where we lost this game.

But it doesn't mean we didn't have other areas where we'd still need to do a lot better to go to the next level.
Yep. The idea of ‘continual improvement’ is that all areas are under review and we are always looking for ways to advance the skills of individuals, the performance of the team, player wellbeing and club culture. We were beaten badly in the midfield on Saturday night and as Fagan has said, the football department will be looking at that in order to draw lessons from it. If we look at Jarrod Berry for example, he’s only 22 years old, so part of the solution will be building his strength as his body matures and part of it will be developing tactical skills. The first part should look after itself and the second is where you apply the ‘teachable moments’ from the Geelong game.

Centre bounces/Stoppages are quite complex with a lot of variables. Can you pinpoint where we went wrong?
Against Geelong we just couldn't match their skill. Dangerfield, Ablett, Duncan etc were simply too good and hurst us at critical times. Our forward entries were awful & thats primarily because of the pressure Geelong applied all game.

So the identification of getting CEY was correct but perhaps a player of greater skill is required if felt another preseason won't get us there just yet? The rumors (God help us) of talking to Polec suggest we are looking for skills outside of the clinches as well. If we need it now drafting won't help as much as trading.

Yeah, I think I know the incident you're referring to.

On the Stanley street wing in the third quarter ....I think?????

Payne showed some serious toe to pursue and pressure Rowan

Was that when Rowan ended up stubbing it out of bounds?
I think that is the incident, also caught Bruce out by surprise too, he was already pumping Rohan up for how quick he was, the closing speed by Payne put some perceived pressure on him. From memory Bruce gave Rohan a great work compliment, as the ball rolled put of bounds. Talk about taking an each way bet to cover your ar$e 😀

Re the "oiling up" of Hawkins and Selwood - I am really surprised the AFL has not addressed this. It is clearly against the spirit of the game and the oil would not serve any therepuetic purpose whatsoever. Time for Eddie to step up on this and raise the issue.

Re the "oiling up" of Hawkins and Selwood - I am really surprised the AFL has not addressed this. It is clearly against the spirit of the game and the oil would not serve any therepuetic purpose whatsoever. Time for Eddie to step up on this and raise the issue.

I don't think it really matters. If you can find an example of one of the players slipping off Selwood's luscious, shiny skin you might have a point.

I think it's more likely that Geelong are just bigger and stronger than our little stringbean cherub juniors.

Using oil must give some advantage otherwise why do it? I am sure there is a gag there somewhere.
If it gave a real advantage, why isn't everyone doing it?

Hipwood, Mcstay, Robinson, Martin and CEY are not AFL standard footballers. I was apprehensive about Daniher, but I can't be now. Even a broken Daniher can provide more than Hipwood and Mcstay. Zorko has lost a touch and Birchill looks finished and should be replaced next season.

Let's Trade hipwood, cey and mcstay. Delist Martin and Birchill and leave Zorko on the team as a limited game time player.

I said it before and i'll say it again. We lost the game on the selection table. We were 5/5 with kiddy in our team and he provided far more than CEY has done in an entire year. Payne was a surprise inclusion and I think he should replace lester next season, so the game wasn't a total waste of time. Either way, we have to get rid of hipwood and mcstay. I think it's ironic, but Ben Keays will probably end up as the better academy player that we drafted that year, not hipwood.
God you post some s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

21 pages in and people still think CEY and McStay where the reasons we lost it.
We got smashed by a bigger more hungry team.
Hawkins kicked 2 so did our best forward Charlie.

Funny stats versus what you saw watching it
I thought our rucks got smashed no we won 36-27
We also won contested Marks 13-7
Frees 13-7

Stoppages again thought we smashed was pretty even same with Contested possession close 102-118
1603068985640.png

What was difference in stats
Turnovers 57-42

Then getting into forward line. When we did get the ball the pressure on our mids was high
Inside 50: 32-50
Marks inside 50: 4-14
Tackles inside 50: 8-15
Scores 12-27
They had 18 more inside 50's then us for 15 more scoring shots.
We scored 37% of times in they scored 54%
Although our kicks in where dreadful most times.. Not sure there is a stat for that

I'm always reluctant to step on to opposition boards but just wanted to wish all you Lions supporters the best and congratulate the team on a pretty bloody impressive 2020. I think our boys deserved the win but the Lions didn't lie down like the Pies did the week before. Losing a prelim sucks and ultimately feels like a wasted season but looking at where you are now compared to just a few seasons ago suggests that there is something really special about the current group you've got.
I reckon you've got a few years up at the pointy end of the table in front of you and hope you're able to take it even further next year.

After thinking about it on and off for a couple of days IMO our loss pretty simply comes down to the Cats having better organisation/structure around stoppages and contested ball situations.

The Cats seemed to seamlessly transfer balls out and outnumber us around the stoppage consistently, if we won it it was more pressured and hence panic like from us.

A mix of personnel and set up, both which can be fixed via trade/draft and more time embedding in our structures.

Fire with fire..

We start oiling up too. Obviously allowed.
After that first line I honestly thought you were about to suggest that "if they're oiled up, just light up the oil"...

We could definitely start oiling up, and I often wonder why we (or other teams) haven't. The fact that no one else has really bothered oiling their shoulders suggests it's really a thing for fans to get upset over and the players don't think it actually does anything.

I thought Geelong worked the ball over the line to their fwd half perfectly, hardly got a call of deliberate all night but the strategic play was pretty clear. They also punted the ball to the boundary at throwins a few times not picked up, where we appeared to be ascendant in the setup, or perhaps it was at the times when they had guys off in the rotations and it was a strategy to slow down play. Either way never got picked up and they won more than their fair share the rest of time so it was an effective nullifying tactic.

One things for sure there is not going to be any complacency as all the young and emerging guys got plenty to focus on to be able to dominate in a similar fashion next year. Its not the fairytale but it's probably the right finish to the year in the end. Hope they're all holding their heads high

Back