Geelongs salary cap - Does it need questioning?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation is its closer to 800k.

But honestly I don't know where this is coming from, Geelong isn't a team stacked with huge talent on massive contracts.

We have Danger, Selwood, and Hawkins as the only three players i feel would be on large money.

The rest i feel would be mid range to low contracts.

Duncan
Blitz
Guthrie
Dahlhaus
Ablett (wouldn't be on anywhere near as much as you think)
Rohan
Stewart
Tuohy

but i mean look at West Coast

Kennedy
Darling
Natanui
Gaff
Cripps
Hurn
Kelly
McGovern
Shuey
Yeo

That's quite a list you have there, certainly more top heavy than geelongs, how do you guys manage to keep under the cap.
As I said.... The Salary Cap is 13 million or $250,000 a week. you got 40 players on the list and the average wage is $325,000 or $6250 a week.

I am sure theres a fair amount of players on $650,000 a year or $12,500 a week. Its such a well rounded number.

or being on $10,000 a week or $520,000 a year.

But you look at the cats 1st.

Dangerfield, Hawkins and Selwood would be on $800,000 a year. So thats $2.4 millon gone.

You can have a list of 10 players on $400-600,000 a year. Thats $4-6 million.

I agree GAJ wouldnt be on a lot of cash. Duncan, Blicavs, Dalhaus, Gunthrie (the older brother) Rohan, Menengola, Duncan. I would assume all would be in that $400- 600,000 a year range.

I remember Harry Taylor was out of contract in the end of 2013 with Both WA teams looking at him. He signed a 5 year deal at $600,000 a year from 2014-18.

But I look at west coasts List....

Kennedy is only on $700-$750,000 a year. Could of easily of gotten $800-1 million a year if he was at a Vic Club.

Nic Nats contract was 1 million a year which was $800,000 on the salary cap, and the other $200,000 on ASA agreements or Additional/Advertising service agreements.

I know Mcgovern and Gaff were free agents in 2018 and both stayed at West coast at around $800,000 a year, the rest of the blokes you listed are on $500-$600,000 a year.

As I said.... The Salary Cap is 13 million or $250,000 a week. you got 40 players on the list and the average wage is $325,000 or $6250 a week.

I am sure theres a fair amount of players on $650,000 a year or $12,500 a week. Its such a well rounded number.

or being on $10,000 a week or $520,000 a year.

But you look at the cats 1st.

Dangerfield, Hawkins and Selwood would be on $800,000 a year. So thats $2.4 millon gone.

You can have a list of 10 players on $400-600,000 a year. Thats $4-6 million.

I agree GAJ wouldnt be on a lot of cash. Duncan, Blicavs, Dalhaus, Gunthrie (the older brother) Rohan, Menengola, Duncan. I would assume all would be in that $400- 600,000 a year range.

I remember Harry Taylor was out of contract in the end of 2013 with Both WA teams looking at him. He signed a 5 year deal at $600,000 a year from 2014-18.

But I look at west coasts List....

Kennedy is only on $700-$750,000 a year. Could of easily of gotten $800-1 million a year if he was at a Vic Club.

Nic Nats contract was 1 million a year which was $800,000 on the salary cap, and the other $200,000 on ASA agreements or Additional/Advertising service agreements.

I know Mcgovern and Gaff were free agents in 2018 and both stayed at West coast at around $800,000 a year, the rest of the blokes you listed are on $500-$600,000 a year.
Selwood still on 800 thousand? menegola and rohan on over 400 thousand. You are having a laugh arent you? Menegola and rohan were in the bottom players picked last year. Guthrie would also struggle to get much more then 400 thousand. His form has been poor for years.

The AFL published actual salary info last year.

$500k+ 40
$600k+ 46
$700k+ 24
$800k+ 15
$900k+ 10
$1m+ 2
$1.1m+ 1
$1.2m+ 3

So if you add up all of the players in the competition earning $500k or more it is about 8 per team. Players earning $800k+ is about 2 per team. Which is why I find it funny when people say teams have half a dozen players all on $800k+.

With the AFLPA insistence that player salaries aren't public there is always going to be speculation. Jeremy McGovern went from a guy who was underpaid relative to his output (probably $300-500k per season) to a guy that looked set to cash in and be a top 5 paid player at his club to a guy was on $1.2m a year. Then a "Herald Sun investigation revealed" he is on $1.05m.

you have nicnat being paid by the afl ffs. Straight out salary cap cheating legalised by the afl.
Yeah, NicNat gets paid additional by the AFL, but then so does Danger. Was told once by a former employee at AFL how for any major sponsor event, for example Toyota execs from Japan who know nothing about footy, they always go for NicNat and Paddy. The former so they can stare at him, the latter because Paddy will talk to absolutely everyone.

Geelong region is an awesome place to live! Lived in Melb for 15 years in St.Kilda, Carlton, Caulfield, Mooney Ponds, Yarraville, Parkville, Windsor. Life is just easier in Geelong.
Similarly in Brisbane, but I miss the positive aspects of living in a bigger city. Stuff like nightlife, music, much more multicultural, events etc.

Oh yeah , how can anyone suggest the AFL might put the image of the game before the integrity of the competition ?

Been quite a while since there has been even a hint of any sort of salary cap issues , years even

I’m sure the “official” books all look pristine

Not a Geelong problem per say but its never going to be a fair comp , the rich clubs will always have a leg up and unfortunately the poor clubs will just have to take their chances when they can beat the odds and hopefully snag a flag

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Oh yeah , how can anyone suggest the AFL might put the image of the game before the integrity of the competition ?

Been quite a while since there has been even a hint of any sort of salary cap issues , years even

I’m sure the “official” books all look pristine

Not a Geelong problem per say but its never going to be a fair comp , the rich clubs will always have a leg up and unfortunately the poor clubs will just have to take their chances when they can beat the odds and hopefully snag a flag

Better than English soccer at least

One of my favorite thing is Joel Selwoods forever backended contract. He is going to be on the list til he is 75 at this rate. He is another one who would be on 800k a year by now. If we are fair dinkum the salaries are below BTW

Rhys Stanley - 400k
Zac Tuohy - 600k
Brandan Parfitt - 300k
Gary Ablett - 300k
Naika Cockatoo - 100k
Jordan Clark - 100k
Harry Taylor - 600k (forever backended contract catching up)
Jake Kolodhasnij - 300k
Jack Steven - 500k
Ben Jarvis - 75k
Josh Jenkins - 200k
Cooper Stephens - 75k
Lachoe Fogarty - 100k
Joel Selwood - 800k (forever backended contract catching up)
Nathan Kreuger - 75k
Sam De Koning - 75k
Esavara Ratugolea - 300k
Charlie Constable - 100k
Quinton Narkle - 100k
Jacob Kennerly - 100k
Mitch Duncan - 800k
Gary Rohan - 500k
Jed Bews - 200k
Tom Hawkins - 800k
Sam Menegola - 500k
Darcy Fort - 100k
Cameron Guthrie - 400k
Francis Evans - 75k
Gryan Miers - 400k
Jake Tarca - 75k
James Parsons - 100k
Patrick Dangerfield - 1 mill
Sam Simpson - 100k
Jack Henry - 200k
Zac Gutrhie - 100k
Luke Dalhaus - 600k
Cameron Taheny - 75k
Mark O'Connor - 300k
Tom Stewart - 800k
Mark Bilcavs - 800k

13.5 mill all up and that is before we add Jeremy Camerons 750k, Higgins 500k and Isaac Smiths 500k too also.

Not even trying at this stage

Last edited:
One of my favorite thing is Joel Selwoods forever backended contract. He is going to be on the list til he is 75 at this rate. He is another one who would be on 800k a year by now. If we are fair dinkum the salaries are below BTW

Rhys Stanley - 400k
Zac Tuohy - 600k
Brandan Parfitt - 300k
Gary Ablett - 300k
Naika Cockatoo - 100k
Jordan Clark - 100k
Jake Kolodhasnij - 300k
Jack Steven - 500k
Ben Jarvis - 75k
Josh Jenkins - 200k
Cooper Stephens - 75k
Lachoe Fogarty - 100k
Nathan Kreuger - 75k
Sam De Koning - 750k
Esavara Ratugolea - 300k
Charlie Constable - 100k
Quinton Narkle - 100k
Jacob Kennerly - 100k
Mitch Duncan - 800k
Gary Rohan - 500k
Jed Bews - 200k
Tom Hawkins - 800k
Sam Menegola - 500k
Darcy Fort - 100k
Cameron Guthrie - 400k
Francis Evans - 75k
Gryan Miers - 400k
Jake Tarca - 75k
James Parsons - 100k
Sam Simpson - 100k
Jack Henry - 200k
Zac Gutrhie - 100k
Luke Dalhaus - 600k
Cameron Taheny - 75k
Mark O'Connor - 300k
Tom Stewart - 800k
Mark Bilcavs - 600k

13.7 mill all up and that is before we add Jeremy Camerons 750k, Higgins 500k and Isaac Smiths 500k too also.

Yeah I can take this analysis very seriously when it surmises that Sam De Koning, with his 0 AA jerseys, 0 Brownlows, and 0 matches for Geelong, is on 750k.

looking forward to geelong refusing to trade for cameron as they stick to their guns on whether a player should nominate a team rather than just a city.

geelong were very firm on this with the kelly trade and surely would not want to look like hypocrites if they were to accept cameron nominating them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looking forward to geelong refusing to trade for cameron as they stick to their guns on whether a player should nominate a team rather than just a city.

geelong were very firm on this with the kelly trade and surely would not want to look like hypocrites if they were to accept cameron nominating them.

Considering Geelong isn't shared with another team, just Geelong, I would imagine the scenario will be somewhat different when someone has specified that they are determined to leave solely for family reasons. Cameron has not done this as far as I'm aware.

Secondly, they're not trading Cameron out. It is not up to them to dictate what demands or preferences the traded player has, or the team he's departing makes.

A better comparison would be if another Cats player was leaving to go to Sydney and they demanded that he nominate the Swans.

Do the figures for me with my adjustments.

Rhys Stanley - 400k agree
Zac Tuohy - 600k (400)
Brandan Parfitt - 300k (350)
Gary Ablett - 300k - agree
Naika Cockatoo - 100k (150)
Jordan Clark - 100k a (150)
Harry Taylor - 600k (forever backended contract catching up) - agree
Jake Kolodhasnij - 300k (250)
Jack Steven - 500k (300)
Ben Jarvis - 75k - agree
Josh Jenkins - 200k (crows pay his salary)
Cooper Stephens - 75k - agree
Lachoe Fogarty - 100k - agree
Joel Selwood - 800k (forever backended contract catching up) (700)
Nathan Kreuger - 75k agree
Sam De Koning - 75k agree
Esavara Ratugolea - 300k - (200 max)
Charlie Constable - 100k agree
Quinton Narkle - 100k agree
Jacob Kennerly - 100k - (huh? You serious?)
Mitch Duncan - 800k - (500)
Gary Rohan - 500k (350)
Jed Bews - 200k (300)
Tom Hawkins - 800k (600)
Sam Menegola - 500k (400)
Darcy Fort - 100k agree
Cameron Guthrie - 400k agree
Francis Evans - 75k agree
Gryan Miers - 400k ( no way. 250)@
Jake Tarca - 75k agree
James Parsons - 100k agree
Patrick Dangerfield - 1 mill (800)
Sam Simpson - 100k - (150)
Jack Henry - 200k - agree
Zac Gutrhie - 100k agree
Luke Dalhaus - 600k (come off it. 400)
Cameron Taheny - 75k agree
Mark O'Connor - 300k (possible)
Tom Stewart - 800k (no way. 450)
Mark Bilcavs - 800k (600)

13.5 mill all up and that is before we add Jeremy Camerons 750k, Higgins 500k and Isaac Smiths 500k too also.

Rhys Stanley - 400k
Zac Tuohy - 600k
Brandan Parfitt - 300k
Gary Ablett - 300k
Naika Cockatoo - 100k
Jordan Clark - 100k
Jake Kolodhasnij - 300k
Jack Steven - 500k
Ben Jarvis - 75k
Josh Jenkins - 200k
Cooper Stephens - 75k
Lachoe Fogarty - 100k
Nathan Kreuger - 75k
Sam De Koning - 75k
Esavara Ratugolea - 300k
Charlie Constable - 100k
Quinton Narkle - 100k
Jacob Kennerly - 100k
Mitch Duncan - 800k
Gary Rohan - 500k
Jed Bews - 200k
Tom Hawkins - 800k
Sam Menegola - 500k
Darcy Fort - 100k
Cameron Guthrie - 400k
Francis Evans - 75k
Gryan Miers - 400k
Jake Tarca - 75k
James Parsons - 100k
Sam Simpson - 100k
Jack Henry - 200k
Zac Gutrhie - 100k
Luke Dalhaus - 600k
Cameron Taheny - 75k
Mark O'Connor - 300k
Tom Stewart - 800k
Mark Bilcavs - 800k

You clown. Danger isn’t on a mill. Blitcavs on 800k???
You have no idea lol.

Who outside of Dangerfield have we landed that's such a big fish? Sorry but I'm not going to cop getting told year after year that all we have is Dangerfield, Selwood and Hawkins and that the rest of our list is garbage, and then cop that we are somehow smashing the salary cap?

Here's our recruits in recent years that are still on the list:
Tuohy - ok, he was an established player at Carlton but he was hardly a superstar
Henderson - see Tuohy and change established to 'ok'
Jenkins - played 11 games for Adelaide last year and while his best footy was actually very good, he's clearly a fair way past that and wasn't exactly in high demand. He's played one game since.
Ablett - obviously wouldn't be on peanuts but also wouldn't be getting paid like a star in their prime, either, and wanted to come home come hell or high water
Stanley - played 58 games over 5 years at St Kilda, and never had a season where he averaged more than a goal a game, or more than 8 hit-outs a game. Hmm. Wasn't exactly the Travis Boak treatment and fly-in visit that prised him out of there at a million bucks a year.
Steven - Had severe mental health issues, played just 7 games last year, averaging 12 touches in each. Hmmm. Bet he was commanding the big bucks to get a fresh start with the Cats.
Rohan - one of the most ridiculed figures in the game for his whole career due to having seemingly no gifts but leg speed, and a penchant for not playing well when it matters most. Seems everyone is happy for him to be a punching bag until someone decides to speculate that we must be rorting the cap
Dahlhaus - see Tuohy, only for a decent team, and had only played 24 games in 3 seasons before we got him.

Do the figures for me with my adjustments.

You are 1 mill below the minimum salary cap :D

Also just FYI, you have to be paying 50% of Josh Jenkins salary. He also took a paycut to join because he wanted out of Adelaide so 200-250k is about right with Adelaide also covering 200-250k

THen Bilcavs is gone this year. Most teams would offer him 800k to 1 mill in a heartbeat.

Dangerfield has a forever backended contract too it seems
I think you need to stop posting mate.
It’s clear you haven’t got a clue. It’s best you stop now. Cheers

THen Bilcavs is gone this year. Most teams would offer him 800k to 1 mill in a heartbeat.

Dangerfield has a forever backended contract too it seems

ok so let me get this straight.

Blicavs, who is overrated, shouldn't have been near the AA discussion this year or last (he made neither team, FWIW), doesn't have a proper position, had his effectiveness curtailed by a rule that has literally been named after him in this forum, is suddenly, when it suits, worth a million bucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back