List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

He would get a game in GWS as they are weak in the backline and they need run, bit of pace and good users of the ball. He would compliment the likes of Perryman and Ash nicely to be honest

I dont seehim in their best 22currently but thats just my opinion respect that you see it differently.

You know what f*** this, seriously what is the point.

We are a development team kept alive for TV Rights.

Watch for the AFL that is essentially run by the bigger clubs to do nothing until we become a proper basket case.

A few years ago I was very disillusioned with rugby league. They game became ugly to watch and a private playpen to Nick Politis. Whilst the latter is still too powerful they have addressed the game itself and it’s now very good to watch.

The AFL has gone the other way. McLachlan is a muppet with Eddie Maguire with his hand up his arse making the calls.

Why do you think the ridiculous Next Gen Academy was set up and approved? It was Eddie and the old school cronies crying that they had “...given us too much”.

Meanwhile the game itself has gone to the dogs, a defensive siege, attacking genius stymied and a bore to watch.

They want us to be successful, just not too successful, we are just a novelty. It’s a fine line but it’s what they want.

Allowing Cameron to walk is f****** criminal, it rips the heart and soul from a club.

As I said, why bother? 🤷

Last edited:

I dont seehim in their best 22currently but thats just my opinion respect that you see it differently.

The funny thing is if you don't rate him highly then GWS should be asking Geelong for their top two first round draft picks plus Clark for Cameron which I think is 11, 13 and Clark.

Asking for Geelongs top three picks and Clark is probably too much but I know Geelong would be desperate to get Cameron especially as it allows Hawkins play deep for long while Cameron roams and frees up Danger to play with more flexibility to suit how they want to play him.

Getting Cameron this year is probably make or break for Geelong's future going forward so I assume Geelong is prepared to give up a lot because he would mean that much to them in terms of selling point for other prospects. The salary they offer Cameron would not reflect how vital he would be to them strategically

No offence but if he was to leave geelong hed pick a lower club where he might getmore gametime not gws where he might not even make the 22.
I have no doubt that Jordan Clark would fit a best 22 for GWS - we've just lost Zac Williams & Heath Shaw from our backline, with the very inexperienced Lachie Ash & Isaac Cumming (22 games between them) odds on to be in that backline. Even if we slotted Lachie Whitfield into the backline to replace some of that lost experienced, Clark could take his wing spot straight up.

Now, there's no guarantee the match committee would see it the same way. Especially given they overlooked him 2 years ago in the draft. And of course there's no guarantee that Clark would want to some here - but to tempt him we would pretty much have to guarantee a spot. I can only hope!

So, yes I'm squarely in the match & drive a hard trade bargain camp. (Which presumes the difference between our offer & the Cats' offer is minimal.) Unmatched we get pick 10. Match (or threaten to do so) and we get pick 12 + : the + being another 1 or 2 first round picks, or another first round player such as Clark. We shouldn't be accepting a minor player. 2 spots lower in that first pick but something else of solid value. Why wouldn't we go that way?

I would accept an alternative such as a much better trade for a fringe player who wants out - although I don't see Caldwell being in the 'fringe' category; he'd get a first round pick straight up out of Saints. I wouldn't really want it to be O'Halloran either, but if he is leaving anyway, then it's an option. I just have to hope that the club are pissed off enough to be hard-nosed.

I have no doubt that Jordan Clark would fit a best 22 for GWS - we've just lost Zac Williams & Heath Shaw from our backline, with the very inexperienced Lachie Ash & Isaac Cumming (22 games between them) odds on to be in that backline. Even if we slotted Lachie Whitfield into the backline to replace some of that lost experienced, Clark could take his wing spot straight up.

Now, there's no guarantee the match committee would see it the same way. Especially given they overlooked him 2 years ago in the draft. And of course there's no guarantee that Clark would want to some here - but to tempt him we would pretty much have to guarantee a spot. I can only hope!

So, yes I'm squarely in the match & drive a hard trade bargain camp. (Which presumes the difference between our offer & the Cats' offer is minimal.) Unmatched we get pick 10. Match (or threaten to do so) and we get pick 12 + : the + being another 1 or 2 first round picks, or another first round player such as Clark. We shouldn't be accepting a minor player. 2 spots lower in that first pick but something else of solid value. Why wouldn't we go that way?

I would accept an alternative such as a much better trade for a fringe player who wants out - although I don't see Caldwell being in the 'fringe' category; he'd get a first round pick straight up out of Saints. I wouldn't really want it to be O'Halloran either, but if he is leaving anyway, then it's an option. I just have to hope that the club are pissed off enough to be hard-nosed.

The importance of getting a player that adds to the teams output in terms of performance and wins is that it helps sell the GWS resurgence not just to the supporters but players themselves so they stick.

Can't keep getting draft picks if your forever losing and players do not believe in a upswing

If the money is not that different (per Fox article) surely we match, ask for their 3 first rounders (why not?), and then try to flip them to get as high as possible in the draft. Our track record of attracting players in the early to mid 20s is non existent so I'm not counting on being able to trade a piece in.

What's the consequence if Geelong balk and say no deal? Either he walks into the PSD (good luck getting past North) or re-signs with us. Never have we had more leverage in a trade situation, we should absolutely push Geelong as hard as we can. This can be our OKC trading Paul George moment!

If the money is not that different (per Fox article) surely we match, ask for their 3 first rounders (why not?), and then try to flip them to get as high as possible in the draft. Our track record of attracting players in the early to mid 20s is non existent so I'm not counting on being able to trade a piece in.

What's the consequence if Geelong balk and say no deal? Either he walks into the PSD (good luck getting past North) or re-signs with us. Never have we had more leverage in a trade situation, we should absolutely push Geelong as hard as we can. This can be our OKC trading Paul George moment!

Yep we have to go hard, and any Geelong fans reading that isn’t being disrespectful to your club.

It will take a lot for Geelong to walk away from Cameron in my opinion.

They are on the edge even if they get Higgins and Smith that are towards the ancient category in terms of future prospects and are trying to capitalise on their finals run while it lasts.

I still feel they will fall in one to two years. 12 months is a long time especially at the back of a season at the business end

If they want future success in the current window they will need to trade in based on a story and Cameron is critical to that story.

If they fail Cameron could be like Polec without the drop in form looking for another club especially if he wants a flag

Last edited:
Yeah, but we've never been short of high draft picks, and we're in a pickle where we can't retain players.
Feels like the club is at an identity cross-roads.
Hopefully the Giants we see next year are mean and nasty.

We have re-signed most we wanted though.

Williams and Cameron just hurt as they were loved.

Yeah, but we've never been short of high draft picks, and we're in a pickle where we can't retain players.
Feels like the club is at an identity cross-roads.
Hopefully the Giants we see next year are mean and nasty.

Agree, high end picks are great but don't solve a need. The problem really is that we exist in a different economy to other clubs, we can't ever seem to attract a free agent or trade in someone to plug a need (assume players dont want to come or we never have cap space due to overpaying stars to stay, maybe that changes now with Jezza gone)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stop blaming other's outside your club as you get even more first round talent to replace them so consider yourself lucky. Secondly and more importantly calm down as you'll get through this and be very successful again if you replace Dave Mathews who's had his time. Thirdly and finally you might need a new coach as i don't know who but maybe Clarkson or poach longmire/dima/scott twin could get you a premiership sooner than Leon.

Matthews is arrogant and has made a career error in putting his ego in front of the team.

He re-signed Cameron in spite of being acutely aware of player dissatisfaction of the game style and s it scrutinised heavily by any number of experts. He wants Gil’s job, this is not his passion, it’s a means to an end.

We are justified in our angst towards certain identities, the bigger clubs have been complaining for years about what the Giants have been given mistakenly believing we would become a Godzilla.

NextGen is an open rort to pacify the other clubs after the high Academy picks.

You only have to look at the Todd Marshall debacle (allegedly incorrect registration form) to see the lengths that have been made to stem our opportunity.

The lack of spending or care about our coaching and development shows where things really lie.

Anyway thanks for telling us how we should think, enjoy the GF.

Last edited:
The funny thing is if you don't rate him highly then GWS should be asking Geelong for their top two first round draft picks plus Clark for Cameron which I think is 11, 13 and Clark.

Asking for Geelongs top three picks and Clark is probably too much but I know Geelong would be desperate to get Cameron especially as it allows Hawkins play deep for long while Cameron roams and frees up Danger to play with more flexibility to suit how they want to play him.

Getting Cameron this year is probably make or break for Geelong's future going forward so I assume Geelong is prepared to give up a lot because he would mean that much to them in terms of selling point for other prospects. The salary they offer Cameron would not reflect how vital he would be to them strategically

Saying i dont think he would make gws 22 doesnt mean i think hes crap it just factors in different clubs having different list needs.

I doubt clark wants such a move anyway which is more the issue.

Saying i dont think he would make gws 22 doesnt mean i think hes crap it just factors in different clubs having different list needs.

I doubt clark wants such a move anyway which is more the issue.

The trouble is apart from Clark your other players would have little currency for GWS who should believe they are not far from a window even without Cameron which is why Clark would be handy to support the likes of Kelly, Taranto, Greene and others

Maybe but i question why they would overlook him 2 years ago to take him now. Also and i dont mean to be disrespectful but if clark moves the smarter move for him is a club where he is more likely to get games..risking going from fringe at one top club to fringe at another makes little sense.

Ill be interested to see what happens..i doubt gws ask the earth as they wont want to risk either geelong walking away and them retaining a player who doesnt want to stay or it dragging out and ruining their whole trade period. The key is to ask for something thats better than compo alone (so you can sell to supporters you pushed hard) but not so much that geelong walk away. Thats the middle ground to find.

Both clubs have good list managers so my tip is it gets sorted.

The trouble is apart from Clark your other players would have little currency for GWS who should believe they are not far from a window even without Cameron which is why Clark would be handy to support the likes of Kelly, Taranto, Greene and others

If there is a trade i expect it to be picks not players.

Maybe but i question why they would overlook him 2 years ago to take him now. Also and i dont mean to be disrespectful but if clark moves the smarter move for him is a club where he is more likely to get games..risking going from fringe at one top club to fringe at another makes little sense.

Ill be interested to see what happens..i doubt gws ask the earth as they wont want to risk either geelong walking away and them retaining a player who doesnt want to stay or it dragging out and ruining their whole trade period. The key is to ask for something thats better than compo alone (so you can sell to supporters you pushed hard) but not so much that geelong walk away. Thats the middle ground to find.

Both clubs have good list managers so my tip is it gets sorted.

If Cameron stays and he does not want to be there whats the problem??

I think the CEO said GwS might be outside the window but that might only be for 2021, can't see how they cannot be challenging big time in 2022

GWS did not get a lot out of Cameron in 2020 did they?

What are we worried about We have Ricca coming in. He straightens us right up.
Our younger players are a bit stronger and fitter.
We continue to spread the age of the talent on our list. E.g. Tom Green.
We’ll be playing finals next year.

Most importantly, it’ll be the first year for ages where no one gives us a hope... only we have plenty of talent to win more than enough games. So sit tight, go and buy your memberships and get behind them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back