Mega Thread The Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
The president and now CEO dancing to the media tune on Hogan and hanging him out to dry instead of telling the media to fu** off. If you had invented a potion that could make blokes grow a pair, you could sell gallons of it at our Cockburn offices.
Or maybe he knows there’s more to the story than what gets reported in the media and the club is sick of having to defend him.
You only have to take a look at the Hogan thread to know that there are two general views on the bloke within the supporter base. Those who think he is a troubled but loveable larrikin above criticism and entitled to be held to lower standards than his teammates, and those who think he needs to pull his head in. I get the feeling Garlick, Alcock and JLo sit in the latter category. Moving the bloke on would take far bigger balls than not moving him on considering what he cost us.

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
1. Ross is a Victorian through and through.
2. He's in the Vic media so he has to look after his employment and we know how good he is at that.
3. He's never been good at talent identification

No surprise to me.
Fyfe hasn't played a final in 5 years. Pretty hard to have big moments on the big stage when you don't even get there.

wahooo

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fyfe hasn't played a final in 5 years. Pretty hard to have big moments on the big stage when you don't even get there.
Finals aren't the only big stage. The brownlow's a big stage, Fyfe's had two big moments there.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is the article about the best players or the best big game players. 2 Brownlows says he’s a great player in general.
I regards to big game players Pav kicked 6 goals in our best finals win away from home to that point. He stood up and delivered us a win against Geelong at the G when nobody thought we could win. I was at that game and can assure you he was immense.
Fyfe needs to have an impact in a final or win some Glendinning Allen medals to be considered an elite big game player.

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Finals aren't the only big stage. The brownlow's a big stage, Fyfe's had two big moments there.
Who cares? I'm just saying that if he's picking his best 30 players from the last 30 years it's likely that he's picking players that have played well and stood up in finals. Rather than it's because he's anti freo or has Victorian bias.

I'm fairly certain if Ross was picking his best 22 and he had access to every single player in the league he probably would have Fyfe playing for him.

wahooo

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is the article about the best players or the best big game players. 2 Brownlows says he’s a great player in general.
I regards to big game players Pav kicked 6 goals in our best finals win away from home to that point. He stood up and delivered us a win against Geelong at the G when nobody thought we could win. I was at that game and can assure you he was immense.
Fyfe needs to have an impact in a final or win some Glendinning Allen medals to be considered an elite big game player.
Ahh, missed the little caveat about big game players.

Unfortunately Fyfey's efforts in the finals will always be tainted by those set shots in the first quarter of the 2013 GF.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ahh, missed the little caveat about big game players.

Unfortunately Fyfey's efforts in the finals will always be tainted by those set shots in the first quarter of the 2013 GF.
I haven’t seen the article so I’m not actually sure if it had to be big game players... makes the most sense though. And I agree with you on the GF misses. There’s only one way he’s going to rectify that.

Ghost Pig

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Works both ways if he says that he is inviting pressure from media which can have a negative effect on the club and coaching.

Richmond had been making finals for about 3 or so years at that time when he said that as well.

It was 2010 that an internal memo at Richmond leaked which outlined their long term plan to win 3 flags by 2020 and hit 75k members.
Brendan Gale was a newly appointed CEO, Damien Hardwick was a newly appointed coach and Dustin Martin had yet to debut as an AFL player.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It was 2010 that an internal memo at Richmond leaked which outlined their long term plan to win 3 flags by 2020 and hit 75k members.
Brendan Gale was a newly appointed CEO, Damien Hardwick was a newly appointed coach and Dustin Martin had yet to debut as an AFL player.
I’d say a leaked internal memo would be more likely to state lofty ambitions than what any club would publicly come out and state.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

He spent several years at West Coast under Mick Malthouse, helping create the muscular bodies required to take on seasoned Victorians, and saw his efforts rewarded with the 1992 and 1994 premiership flags.

Possibly the most delicate way to describe his time at the Eagles under the circumstances.

His coach was ......

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
NEWS ALERT!
Freo got a mention on footy classified!!
Just Caro, Hutchy, Llordo and Kane ridiculing the club for trading away the Brownlow medalist. Comparing Hogan, Lobb and Sturt to Neale and Tom Berry (pick 30).
That worst thing about it is that Lobb wasn’t even part of the trade so it’s even worse than they are saying 😥

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
NEWS ALERT!
Just Caro, Hutchy, Llordo and Kane ridiculing the club for trading away the Brownlow medalist. Comparing Hogan, Lobb and Sturt to Neale and Tom Berry (pick 30).
That worst thing about it is that Lobb wasn’t even part of the trade so it’s even worse than they are saying 😥
Love how they make it sound like we had a choice, Neale had already made his mind up, we had no chance of keeping him

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Love how they make it sound like we had a choice, Neale had already made his mind up, we had no chance of keeping him
As above, he was contracted. You're the one changing the narrative. And doesn't matter what anybody says we traded him with enough time to get hogan. So we absolutely could have kept him. We only had to hold out for minutes.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
NEWS ALERT!
Was Ross off sick? Not surprised they did it on a night Ross didn’t feature. Wouldn’t want the facts and context around Neale’s departure getting in the way of the narrative.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
So did Carlton and Geelong and they still got massive overs.
Fair point. Personally I’m of the view that if they don’t want to be here and they have currency we should give them the ol heave ho.
We got pick 6 in the Neale trade. It’s the decision to trade in Hogan with it that the club will have to live and die by.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
As above, he was contracted. You're the one changing the narrative. And doesn't matter what anybody says we traded him with enough time to get hogan. So we absolutely could have kept him. We only had to hold out for minutes.
My mistake I'd forgotten, but still do you really think he would have stayed after 2019 though?

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Essendon tried holding contracted players to contract last year and look where that got them. Daniher will walk for basically nothing and the playing group are divided. It’s a rabble.
You know, its not even about Neale. If the club wanted to keep him, they should have backed themselves in to use the last year of his contract to try and get him to stay. They either don't have the intestinal fortitude, or they had eyes on a different prize. Either way, the club can hardly tell the rest of the list that they can't request a trade if they are contracted now can they?

Out of the horse's mouth, Ross wanted to keep him. Plenty of players have changed their minds and stayed at clubs they wanted to leave and winning a final could have been the thing that did it, we'll never know.

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
My mistake I'd forgotten, but still do you really think he would have stayed after 2019 though?
Well I'd say we were in the box seat to keep him. Maybe a year later after finding out he's gettable there are more suitors and all of a sudden Lachie isn't so impressed with the sales pitch? Maybe the club works out how to get him more money and we are successful on-field and he changes his mind? We all know girlfriends and relatives get gigs to help out the salary cap; surely that's easier when they are already in your stable? Even if he still wants out, we would likely get the same compensation and we would have the added benefit of every player on the list knowing when you sign a contract with Freo, you're here till the end of it unless you don't perform and we turf you? I think the bottom line though is what most people already believe that the club sort of wanted to keep lachie but really wanted to get Hogan.

Also, I accidentally clicked the start of this thread and noticed we got hogan before we got Lobb even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back