Free Agency is a disaster for the competition and needs a huge rethink

Remove this Banner Ad

From someone who remembers the 10 year effort to replace Gary Ablett Senior, it's pretty funny that Geelong is such an apparent destination club. We were basically on our hands and knees begging Jade Rawlings, Scott Lucas and Daniel Bradshaw to come to the club without any success.

Pyramid etc didnt help either

Nope, just because the Cats (amongst others) have shown that rebuilding is a complete and utter furphy and with good list management you can stay up and contest every year doesn't mean it's unfair.

The only thing that should change with FA is the compensation pick plucked out of thin air that punishes every other team in the league. Get rid of completely OR make the team gaining the player pay the points from their draft picks.
Make the team pay the points

Anyway GWS have adopted the strategy to continue getting mainline draft picks for as long as they can. Their players would know that, cant blame them seeking to leave on their terms.
And dropping their captain after a monster re-signing? its not all roses there obviously

It's really up to clubs to keep their players happy. Most/all talented players still at their original clubs could get more money on the open market.

A decade ago everyone was saying Richmond was cooked, they were bottoming out at the worst possible time with the new clubs sucking up players and draft picks. Richmond needed special AFL assistance, they said. Other clubs lost players to the expansion teams; GWS offered Deledio $1m a year and he stayed for much less. Down the track Richmond attracted Lynch with a lower offer than he received elsewhere. Geelong no doubt also has players contracted below market rates. That they have managed to prise Cameron away from his beloved Sydney waterfront lifestyle is to their credit. Carlton for whatever reason currently seems to have no trouble attracting the interest of big names. They are selling their club effectively.

Build it and they will come.

It's really up to clubs to keep their players happy. Most/all talented players still at their original clubs could get more money on the open market.

A decade ago everyone was saying Richmond was cooked, they were bottoming out at the worst possible time with the new clubs sucking up players and draft picks. Richmond needed special AFL assistance, they said. Other clubs lost players to the expansion teams; GWS offered Deledio $1m a year and he stayed for much less. Down the track Richmond attracted Lynch with a lower offer than he received elsewhere. Geelong no doubt also has players contracted below market rates. That they have managed to prise Cameron away from his beloved Sydney waterfront lifestyle is to their credit. Carlton for whatever reason currently seems to have no trouble attracting the interest of big names. They are selling their club effectively.

Build it and they will come.

Last night they revisited Brendon Gales 10 year plan in 2010. Roundly laughed at but would be complete with a win on Saturday

Draft pick Points equal to the free agency compensation, just like with academies, father son etc

Just make the whole thing trading with points "AFLCOIN" its a dogs breakfast that some draftees are and some arent. that way a Ryan Burton for example needn't be shipped off without asking

Draft pick Points equal to the free agency compensation, just like with academies, father son etc

Seems to make the most sense to me if they are all about equality. The team gaining the player should be paying the compo (and not every other team in the league by being pushed back in the draft)

Would also have the effect of making FAs in the top teams more attractive as they would cost less points wise.

Restraint of trade would come up without the free agency that's been implemented. North signed Higgins, Dal Santo, Waite. Brisbane about to grab Daniher. Carlton just recruited Williams, Essendon Shiel. Not exactly Dynasties of success here. You build the core the landscape changes rapidly. It's 2020 free agency isn't leaving us.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

No but teams should then have the capacity to trade contracted players without the players consent. Clubs should also have drafted players for 4 years on 2+1+1 contracts. It's too far in the players favour at the moment and they can hold clubs to ransom.

Last night they revisited Brendon Gales 10 year plan in 2010. Roundly laughed at but would be complete with a win on Saturday

3-0-75 was actually a five-year plan which we narrowly missed achieving (3 finals series in five years; reached 2). 3 premierships/10 years was in the footnotes. Really the 10 years expired in 2019, but no matter what happens on Saturday it's been a triumph of planning.

There are definite advantages to having a big supporter base. Richmond's was always there, but it wasn't until Gale pulled things together that it was tapped to its potential. Big crowds attract sponsors and players. The volatile supporter base that could at times be the club's own worst enemy has been brought to heel, for the time being at least.

It's much harder for the smaller clubs who face the perennial question of how to grow support with limited media exposure. To a certain extent they are beholden to the AFL, and I think that's the way the AFL likes it. After watching the process unfold from start to finish at my club, I'm convinced it begins with getting the right people in place off the field. This appeared to be the problem at Brisbane until recently; they're now a destination club.

Free agency isn't a disaster in other sports though. We should ask why good players aren't tempted to sign megabucks deals with bad teams like they do in the NFL, or to a lesser extent the NRL. (Many of those teams end up with buyer's remorse pretty soon after, but that's another story). Is it because the money offered to them is fairly even between teams?

FA is why the NBA is trash.

A small market club can draft a superstar but eventually they leave for a big city market.

The Lakers just won a chip because of FA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might as well write this now as (Restricted) Free Agency is about to deliver us a second superstar in five years - so it doesn't look like whinging. I love what FA has brought for my club, but I absolutely hate what it's done for the competition.

One of the great things about footy in the 2000s was that it felt like it could be anyone's turn. Fitzroy/Brisbane, Geelong and Sydney all broke droughts; StKilda almost broke theirs.

Now, with the advent of FA, the best players only want to move to the best clubs (surprise, surprise) - and so that means that clubs like Geelong, Sydney, Richmond and Hawthorn all get to turn flags into eras, while spending the decade away from the cliff face that hit Brisbane and Essendon in the 2000s. It's crazy that a side can win a flag or come runner-up and immediately add a "big fish" like Frawley, Lynch, Cameron, Buddy, Crouch et al. In last year's prelim, Tom Lynch kicked five goals of Richmond's twelve, in a three-goal win. No Tom Lynch, no 2019 flag.

As much as I have loved Geelong's run for 14 years now, IMO it really hurts the competition as a whole. Free Agency has just turned into a talent siphon from bad clubs to good, and made it that much more predictable.
The advantage that Geelong have is it's location.

Players who are from country Victoria see it as an attractive option as it is rural to an extent, isn't a big city and the players can live on farms/small towns/along the coast ext

Seems to make the most sense to me if they are all about equality. The team gaining the player should be paying the compo (and not every other team in the league by being pushed back in the draft)

Would also have the effect of making FAs in the top teams more attractive as they would cost less points wise.
hang on,

two posts ago you said
FA is the compensation pick plucked out of thin air

Now you want it to play a bigger role?

FA is why the NBA is trash.

A small market club can draft a superstar but eventually they leave for a big city market.

The Lakers just won a chip because of FA.
Bit of a difference with basketball in that a single top 5 player can turn a lottery team into a contender.

North could get Dustin Martin next season and wouldn't get near the 8

I might as well write this now as (Restricted) Free Agency is about to deliver us a second superstar in five years - so it doesn't look like whinging. I love what FA has brought for my club, but I absolutely hate what it's done for the competition.

One of the great things about footy in the 2000s was that it felt like it could be anyone's turn. Fitzroy/Brisbane, Geelong and Sydney all broke droughts; StKilda almost broke theirs.

Now, with the advent of FA, the best players only want to move to the best clubs (surprise, surprise) - and so that means that clubs like Geelong, Sydney, Richmond and Hawthorn all get to turn flags into eras, while spending the decade away from the cliff face that hit Brisbane and Essendon in the 2000s. It's crazy that a side can win a flag or come runner-up and immediately add a "big fish" like Frawley, Lynch, Cameron, Buddy, Crouch et al. In last year's prelim, Tom Lynch kicked five goals of Richmond's twelve, in a three-goal win. No Tom Lynch, no 2019 flag.

As much as I have loved Geelong's run for 14 years now, IMO it really hurts the competition as a whole. Free Agency has just turned into a talent siphon from bad clubs to good, and made it that much more predictable.
There's maybe 2 star players that have gone from bottom team to top team. Franklin doesn't count as he didn't leave a poor team, he left a contender for a contender, and Cameron has left a recent Grand Finalist and will go to a current Grand Finalist, so again he's not torching a bottom club.

Lynch and maybe Frawley are probably the only examples of genuine guns leaving bottom teams to go to top teams, I hardly see that as support for your argument. What about the other 30 odd transfers?

Bit of a difference with basketball in that a single top 5 player can turn a lottery team into a contender.

I bet Hawthorn could, with mayo on it

There's maybe 2 star players that have gone from bottom team to top team. Franklin doesn't count as he didn't leave a poor team, he left a contender for a contender, and Cameron has left a recent Grand Finalist and will go to a current Grand Finalist, so again he's not torching a bottom club.

Lynch and maybe Frawley are probably the only examples of genuine guns leaving bottom teams to go to top teams, I hardly see that as support for your argument. What about the other 30 odd transfers?

Its certainly better than circa 2009-10, when next to nothing happened

Disagree. Imagine the uproar if you get employed somewhere and they tell you that you have to work with them for 8 years before you can work somewhere else of your choosing. Ridiculous. 8 years of service is more than enough to entitle a player to choose where they want to go. Some choose money. Some choose success.

No-one ever thought the best players would go to a club down the bottom of the ladder......the issue is the AFL let the AFLPA dictate the terms, as in the best parts of free agency. Pretty much all other sport codes who have free agency have a window where the club controls the players contracts (first 4,5,6 years of their career).

But the players said 'its unfair if i have to move interstate :'(:'(:'('........but i want $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. AFL just said yes, ok.

Just like the NBA an AFL side can acquire multiple FA which can have a major impact.

Geelong have multiple FA signings in their side.

Just like the NBA an AFL side can acquire multiple FA which can have a major impact.

Geelong have multiple FA signings in their side.
Wrong, we have one. Dahlhaus.

Only others that we've signed in previous years are Jared Rivers, Sam Blease and Scott Selwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back