The Association Football AFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’d be a fool but whatevs.
Dunstall, Carey, Lockett, Ablett.

4 stars of the 80s and 90s.
only 1 made the team of the century.
I'm a fool for not basing an opinion on group think or only watching Ablett Sr highlights reels?

Jr might not quite have the raw freak talent of Sr but he had so much more reliability, consistency and workrate to go with amazing ability. Would take him in a team over his Dad every time.

I'm a fool for not basing an opinion on group think or only watching Ablett Sr highlights reels?

Jr might not quite have the raw freak talent of Sr but he had so much more reliability, consistency and workrate to go with amazing ability. Would take him in a team over his Dad every time.
Pretty sure to get 1000+ goals you have reliability and consistency.

The only reason Plugger has the goal record is that Devine and Blight had him on a flank or wing for the first 2/3 of his career. He has 1048 goals with only the last 4 seasons of his career as a spearhead forward, one of which accrued 7.2 goals per game.

I’m sorry, but in life there are right answers, and wrong answers, and Jr better than his dad is a wrong answer.

The only reason Plugger has the goal record is that Devine and Blight had him on a flank or wing for the first 2/3 of his career. He has 1048 goals with only the last 4 seasons of his career as a spearhead forward, one of which accrued 7.2 goals per game.

I’m sorry, but in life there are right answers, and wrong answers, and Jr better than his dad is a wrong answer.
You are wheeling out stats from a far gone era in a different position so it's a pointless comparison and simpleton analysis which is amusing from a guy so incredibly opinionated. I bet you didn't even watch Sr play lel. In a team game I'd pick Jr every time.

This is very much subjective territory, I’m not sure that’s such a clear cut, definitive and factual answer like you’re making it out to be.

You could mount an argument either way really, how to really measure it as right or wrong - I’m not sure. Same thing with peak Judd vs GAJ, there’s a valid point to be had there.

Harsh to just dismiss that as just bias from Jod, when to be fair one could say you’re demonstrating the same bias in then saying it’s definitively Ablett Jnr.

For the record, I’d take GAJ over Judd anyway. Ridiculous consistency and longevity, and very adaptable to different teams/positions/roles as his career has unfolded. However as I said it’s subjective, you could mount a valid argument to counter that in favour of peak Judd if one wanted to.

This is very much subjective territory, I’m not sure that’s such a clear cut, definitive and factual answer like you’re making it out to be.

You could mount an argument either way really, how to really measure it as right or wrong - I’m not sure. Same thing with peak Judd vs GAJ, there’s a valid point to be had there.

Harsh to just dismiss that as just bias from Jod, when to be fair one could say you’re demonstrating the same bias in then saying it’s definitively Ablett Jnr.

For the record, I’d take GAJ over Judd anyway. Ridiculous consistency and longevity, and very adaptable to different teams/positions/roles as his career has unfolded. However as I said it’s subjective, you could mount a valid argument to counter that in favour of peak Judd if one wanted to.
Think you’ve picked out the wrong remark.

Subjective sure. Is Jod the most biased among us. Definitely. I still remember the argument 2-3 years back that Naitanui was the best ruck. Not Gawn, Grundy or Goldstein. NicNat, a man who spent half his career not even the best ruck at his club.

But that poll was pretty clear, most agree that GAJ is better.

As for the remark actually quoted. Far less up for debate. Senior all day long.

Think you’ve picked out the wrong remark.

Subjective sure. Is Jod the most biased among us. Definitely. I still remember the argument 2-3 years back that Naitanui was the best ruck. Not Gawn, Grundy or Goldstein. NicNat, a man who spent half his career not even the best ruck at his club.

But that poll was pretty clear, most agree that GAJ is better.

As for the remark actually quoted. Far less up for debate. Senior all day long.

Yes there’s a reason Jod has an award named after him :D

This one I feel is not as deluded or bias as you suggested however. There were genuinely times with Judd at his peak that he was doing things that no one else was. As I said, Ablett Jnr still gets my nod for what it’s worth.

I’d even say the same thing with the Senior v Junior comparison.

Get the Giants on the phone. Trade Jezza in today.

Reckon he’ll be fine, if it was covid the game wouldn’t be going ahead this weekend.

Why not?

This is the second time today I have heard Jeremy Cameron called Jezza. Yuck 🤢

This is the second time today I have heard Jeremy Cameron called Jezza. Yuck 🤢
Could be Jizza.

Clubs are in hubs with no restrictions on inter mingling among the team. Training sessions are as normal, if he had it the likelihood others in the team would is decent.

Two weeks out from Qld election so would likely see a tough stance taken to make a statement.

It won’t be it but if it was there’d be no game Saturday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs are in hubs with no restrictions on inter mingling among the team. Training sessions are as normal, if he had it the likelihood others in the team would is decent.

Two weeks out from Qld election so would likely see a tough stance taken to make a statement.

It won’t be it but if it was there’d be no game Saturday

But he's training away from the squad for the very reason of preventing any potential infection for the rest of the squad.

Why would Hawkins missing because of COVID impact the game?

But he's training away from the squad for the very reason of preventing any potential infection for the rest of the squad.

Why would Hawkins missing because of COVID impact the game?
If we are working under the assumption he had it you are under the false assumption that he wouldn’t have already passed it on to others.

Sat to Now there has been a game of football, recovery and team breakfast and brownlow count. The Qld government would be demanding isolation for close contacts.

If we are working under the assumption he had it you are under the false assumption that he wouldn’t have already passed it on to others.

Sat to Now there has been a game of football, recovery and team breakfast and brownlow count. The Qld government would be demanding isolation for close contacts.

Depends when he got it?

I'd also take Plugger over Ablett Sr.

Those people are clearly forgetting 2009-2014 Ablett then. He legitimately was unstoppable right up until Macaffer tackled him and he did the shoulder. Multiple seasons over 30 touches and 1+ goals a game. Rarefied air.

Jod then made the deluded, and biased, decision that he’d pick Judd.

Ablett is discussed as possibly (wrong) being better than his father (AFL TOTC member) and is mentioned in the same esteem as Matthews (AFL TOTC member). I’m sorry but Judd just isn’t fit to be compared to him and he was an excellent player in his own right.
GAJ definitely had the longer better career. No question. But both at their absolute peak of their powers I'm still picking Judd.

I've just never quite seen a player like Judd. That game where he tore apart the three time defending champions Brisbane Lions in a half of football kicking four from midfield.

He was just something else. His peak wasn't as long as GAJ which is why most pick GAJ.

For a one off game both in their peak, I'd pick Judd. For starting a franchise and having someone for their whole career I'd pick GAJ.

GAJ definitely had the longer better career. No question. But both at their absolute peak of their powers I'm still picking Judd.
Yeah for me it's WCE Judd at his best over GAJ with Carlton Judd well behind both. Stats don't do Judd justice especially early on. He was the most enjoyable player to watch probably at the end of my time as a full on on footy nut

I've just never quite seen a player like Judd. That game where he tore apart the three time defending champions Brisbane Lions in a half of football kicking four from midfield.

He was just something else. His peak wasn't as long as GAJ which is why most pick GAJ.

For a one off game both in their peak, I'd pick Judd. For starting a franchise and having someone for their whole career I'd pick GAJ.
Four or five that day? As good as GAJ has been over the journey no single game of his 300+ I can instantly remember as clearly as judd that day at the gabba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back