Racing Melbourne Cup 2020. * All race day discussion and Tips in here *(no aftertiming)

Who wins the cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steel Prince into 6-1 for tomorrow’s Geelong Cup and even though it is not an automatic qualifier like it used to be will it will push him up the order enough if he wins?

A 1kg penalty should be enough to get him in I reckon. But horses have won this race in the past and not got a big enough penalty to get in (I don't think its ever been a direct entry race tbh)

A 1kg penalty should be enough to get him in I reckon. But horses have won this race in the past and not got a big enough penalty to get in (I don't think its ever been a direct entry race tbh)

Yeah it use to be and they changed it a few years ago now. Geelong Cup was always a win and your in race and that race Oliver rode in and won it on an international I remember them saying at the time he wins he is in. The year his brother died and I forget the horse now. He saluted in the Melb Cup also.

Steel Eagles

Senior List
Aug 17, 2009
Palmyra
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah it use to be and they changed it a few years ago now. Geelong Cup was always a win and your in race and that race Oliver rode in and won it on an international I remember them saying at the time he wins he is in. The year his brother died and I forget the horse now. He saluted in the Melb Cup also.

Media Puzzle

Interesting test for the handicapper now on STEEL PRINCE. I don't think that deserves a penalty and at best would give it 0.5kg but I reckon Carps will give it the pity 1kg to get into the field and say something like 'it needed to be brought up to the same weight as King of Leogrance'

Seems to be good odds as well and took him now with a powered amount and he can easily beat this field at Geelong IMO.

View attachment 989459
Should of seen me listening to the race on the Geelong freeway in the work truck driving home from work kicking it home! Lady next to me on freeway was laughing her head off when I looked over 20 seconds after the race!

At least it is in hopefully now and surely it gets a run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Confident we didn’t see this years MC winner running today.
Hmmm maybe but even taking today out of it Steele Princes run in the Bart Cummings was one of the best of the day behind some real quality.

You know he will get the 3200m as evidenced last year beaten under 2 lengths with a few traffic problems running home also. I have always seen him as great value IF he makes the field and todays run was fitting IMO and anything can happen in a MC and just look at Prince of Catzance for instance! You have to be in it to win it and i see Steele Prince a Red hot chance in the Cup.

Feb 13, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
wombats
Hmmm maybe but even taking today out of it Steele Princes run in the Bart Cummings was one of the best of the day behind some real quality.

You know he will get the 3200m as evidenced last year beaten under 2 lengths with a few traffic problems running home also. I have always seen him as great value IF he makes the field and todays run was fitting IMO and anything can happen in a MC and just look at Prince of Catzance for instance! You have to be in it to win it and i see Steele Prince a Red hot chance in the Cup.
Yep but it will be in a slow time

I had a small nibble on Steel Prince at 100-1 last week even though i have my doubts i like taking a roughie early and his run last year in the Cup was genuinely good IMO beaten only 2 lengths after over racing early and i reckon he comes back a better chance. Freedman is also very bullish on him from what i am reading.

Interesting to see how he comes back from his lengthy spell but worth a small dabble at those odds IMO.
Also everyone just excuse my enthusiasm on Steele Prince because this bet is still alive which i put on in August.

It wont win purely based on this bet IMO with my luck even if it is into $18 right now from 50-1 this morning before the Geelong Cup win.

Mobythepom

Team Captain
Oct 23, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting test for the handicapper now on STEEL PRINCE. I don't think that deserves a penalty and at best would give it 0.5kg but I reckon Carps will give it the pity 1kg to get into the field and say something like 'it needed to be brought up to the same weight as King of Leogrance'
Last year PoA won by a head with a further 1.5 l back to third, so based on near identical distances today you're probably right.

He can run a nice top 10 as he did last year but top 5 would be amazing for a horse of his quality. He has Buckley's hope of winning it. Using PoP as precedent is pointless - legit once in a century outcome.

Last year PoA won by a head with a further 1.5 l back to third, so based on near identical distances today you're probably right.

POA gave weight to the place getters though whereas Steel Prince received weight from them - but stats like what you suggested is another reason for Carps to give him the pity penalty to get in.

Tiger moth is awfully short. Not getting a Rekindling/Il Paridiso type price, or even a Cross Counter one. Hope best tote is kind.

Yup - almost traded with a 5 handle on Betfair today - expect it will do so on Saturday if Cameltoe fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back