The league lacks characters nowadays

Remove this Banner Ad

If people want characters they can read a book or watch a movie.

The reality is 95% of people aren't actually funny.

The remaining 5% aren't either they just think they are.
most movies nowadays are just irrelevant random explosions...well the Hollywood kind are.

Media and public lapped up Jack Higgins, same for highpants Rowell and his notebook...same for Bailey Smith's mullet and his ultra professionalism
to diet/training...none are pissheads/thuggish.

back in the day a guy like Harley Bennell getting hammered on the drink after seasons end and staying on a day longer than planned would of
got you labelled a character ,nowadays it gets you sacked... :rolleyes: its very boring , sad & pathetic really

back in the day a guy like Harley Bennell getting hammered on the drink after seasons end and staying on a day longer than planned would of got you labelled a character ,nowadays it gets you sacked... :rolleyes: its very boring , sad & pathetic really

Back in the day a guy getting smashed at Christmas Party and pinching the receptionists backside....

etc.

Times change - it’s a professional sport and this is 2020..

I like that Danger takes the piss with the media but everyone else reckons he is a flog for doing that kind of stuff. You can't ask for characters if you're going to lambast them from pillar to post anytime they display personality

I like that Danger takes the piss with the media but everyone else reckons he is a flog for doing that kind of stuff. You can't ask for characters if you're going to lambast them from pillar to post anytime they display personality
you can have/be a character without being an attention seeking flog though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The league has a lot of characters. Patrick Dangerfield is unique but gets shat on by the masses because of the way he conducts himself, which I'll never understand. Jack Riewoldt is a character, but gets slaughtered because he's a bit of a sook on the field, Richo was exactly the same but for some reason whilst playing was lauded as an absolute hero. Jack Higgins is another but gets called an idiot/stupid etc.

I wouldn't want to be anything other than the status quo either because you can't please people.

Most of today’s players have come through the TAC cup, draft combine etc where they are exposed to dieticians, shrinks, public speaking coaches etc....with the aim of making the young players as predictable and controllable as possible so that AFL clubs know what they are getting- although this doesn’t always work. Those characters of yesteryear were mentored by old players from the 40s, 50s and 60s who thought that pies, ciggies and VB were a perfectly good training diet

I don’t believe the characters are not there, I believe they are there but are not allowed to be who they are. Social media jumps on anyone who does not toe the line which forces the AFL to make the players act like robots.
It is us the public that have removed the characters from the game because we can’t just watch the game and accept we either won or lost, we have to pick at every little thing and make mountains out of molehills.
The players have almost become actors having to follow rules that we have set to what is acceptable or unacceptable behaviour now.
What Is acceptable to me is not acceptable to you and we immediately have an issue, hence the crap world we live in now.

The league has a lot of characters. Patrick Dangerfield is unique but gets shat on by the masses because of the way he conducts himself, which I'll never understand. Jack Riewoldt is a character, but gets slaughtered because he's a bit of a sook on the field, Richo was exactly the same but for some reason whilst playing was lauded as an absolute hero. Jack Higgins is another but gets called an idiot/stupid etc.

I wouldn't want to be anything other than the status quo either because you can't please people.

Three blokes, amazing.

Has anyone stopped to think that twenty-something year old footballers aren't that interesting?

Go watch one of those AFL Grill videos where they ask players their favourite movies and music, all the answers are incredibly standard and dull.

Its not the public's fault - they're athletes, not artists.

Look at the discussion something simple like Dhursmas bow and arrow caused. That’s the problem. Here is a young talented player who creates a trademark of sorts and half the league is quick to criticise him for it.

Didn't he just take it from a US Sports star? That isn't showing personality.

Dangerfield maybe high on catnip or something, but at least he doesn't need to get intoxicated to have a "personality".

He can act like a class clown, which I think is understandable, considering he's in an environment which is sometimes ran like a high school drama.

I wouldn't take him too seriously!

Do they? beyond your bare assertion is there any objective evidence to back that up?

My experience as a kid was completely contrary, wanted to play soccer but mum wanted me to play footy.
My dad didn't let me play AFL as a kid, which was frustrating as a typical kid obsessed with the game. I did soccer, tennis, a lot of cardio sports, but as an AFL-mad kid growing up in NSW I was starved and constantly kicking in the street. My younger brother (who was a 'rougher character' anyway) was eventually allowed when dad had mellowed a bit more.

That’s what I mean.... comedy is making fun of someone/something. Which is why it will die by the way we are going to be so morally correct. A future society that will be afraid to laugh for the risk being prosecuted.
I don't think that's entirely accurate. Wit and banter is still as richly alive as ever, it just can't be the same lazy braindead gags anymore. Unfunny bland people won't think they are 'characters' and rate their comedy anymore, which is a good thing for the rest of us.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back