Ongoing Test match XI speculation thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not unless they can say they are in the top 6-8 bats in the country. We went this route with Mitch Marsh picking a dead set dud 6 just because he can bowl. You are basically playing with 5 bats and it's not as if Paine is some Gilchrist with the bat either! They have to be able to genuinely and I mean genuinely bat in the top 6. Who are you advocating for...Agar can't he's an 8...Neser can't he's an 8...Green is the only one and he's not bowling yet!

yeh agar and neser could play as a #7 at best - but then paine goes to 6 and doesn't really solve anything.

i'm not a massive maxwell advocate for red ball cricket - but hey - why not ? he has a first class average of 40 and could be a bit of an X factor.

ticks a few boxes along with his brilliant fielding.

he may be able to provide some relief with marnus and may not be a massive wicket taker, but if the other 4 can't get the job done, then a 5th bowler isn't going to matter anyways.

yeh agar and neser could play as a #7 at best - but then paine goes to 6 and doesn't really solve anything.

i'm not a massive maxwell advocate for red ball cricket - but hey - why not ? he has a first class average of 40 and could be a bit of an X factor.

he may be able to provide some relief with marnus and may not be a massive wicket taker, but if the other 4 can't get the job done, then a 5th bowler isn't going to matter anyways.
Wish smith would bowl more, considering he was a leggie. He is definitely capable to jag a wicket or 2 like marnus

No thanks. Been tried and it doesn’t work.

Wish smith would bowl more, considering he was a leggie. He is definitely capable to jag a wicket or 2 like marnus
But if Marnus is playing/bowling, Smith doesn't need to bowl anyway.

hasn't been tried in australia though.

i guess the problem is that he doesn't play alot of red ball cricket with all these 20/20 domestic comps.

That and he isn't trustworthy at all. Would you honestly want him coming in trying to save a test...I sure as anything wouldn't. Better options anyway. Rather just pick Cam Green as a bat if we don't want Wade.

Smith the bowler is done, finished, kaput

Marnus being far better as a bowler was the final nail in the coffin, but frankly his bowling has been completely worthless for a good few years before then, pretty much ever since he truly established himself as a bat.

Noboby should shed a tear if he doesn't send down another delivery for the rest of his career

Smith the bowler is done, finished, kaput

Marnus being far better as a bowler was the final nail in the coffin, but frankly his bowling has been completely worthless for a good few years before then, pretty much ever since he truly established himself as a bat.

Noboby should shed a tear if he doesn't send down another delivery for the rest of his career

He shouldn't either unless we are in the sub continent for a few sneaky overs.Don't need him bowling and injuring himself

Head isn't going anywhere. Averaging 42 from 17 tests. Will need a lean summer to put his position in doubt but i'd suggest he's guaranteed for all 4 games.

Wade not as guaranteed, but I want him in the side to play the tenacious role in the middle order who won't take a backward step and is usually good for building a partnership. Also values his wicket and generally eats up a few deliveries if a collapse looks possible.

moises henriques anyone ?

a timely ton , although hardly bowls anymore and pushing 34 so probably not !
Watched him bat and never looked like getting out. Best innings of the season so far. Against India I’d consider him if form warranted, I don’t care how old he is you just pick the best 11 against the best in the world. Looking forward to watching Cam Green bat tomorrow, he’d be the only other batsman worth looking at for a spot in the middle order.

Watched him bat and never looked like getting out. Best innings of the season so far. Against India I’d consider him if form warranted, I don’t care how old he is you just pick the best 11 against the best in the world. Looking forward to watching Cam Green bat tomorrow, he’d be the only other batsman worth looking at for a spot in the middle order.
Umm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nic Maddinson. The fact you didn't know that already speaks volumes
I don’t think he’ll be trialled as an opener for Australia and he’s not ahead of anyone without putting a few scores on the board for Victoria this year first. As it stands it’d be Head, Wade, then whoever is piling on the runs in the shield

I don’t think he’ll be trialled as an opener for Australia and he’s not ahead of anyone without putting a few scores on the board for Victoria this year first
He's ahead of everyone based on his last two seasons. That's just a fact.

As if 2020 wasn't weird enough without Maddinson getting another run in the Test side.

Least you said it lol...I'd rather just stick with Wade and Head if the alternative is Maddinson. Green as a pure bat is a better option.

As if 2020 wasn't weird enough without Maddinson getting another run in the Test side.
Best FC batsman of the previous two seasons combined getting talked up as the next in line.

If he were wearing a Baggy Black instead of a Baggy Blue you would be screaming black and blue for him to be in.

He may have some good stats on the board but that doesn’t mean he’s ahead of anyone in the selectors’ minds. They may have put a line through him for all we know. He certainly wasn’t ahead of Pucovski last season.

There is also Cam Green to consider who is getting close to getting picked as a pure bat let alone as a genuine AR.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back