List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is this our first free agent signing ever?
No, I believe we signed Nathan Brown first.
He would be our first major signing.

No, I believe we signed Nathan Brown first.
He would be our first major signing.
Ahh yeah that’s right how could I forget!

Crouch as a FA and Caldwell would be an ideal outcome. One to have an immediate impact and one for the future.
Crouch would help bring Hill into the game big time. Pushes the others down the pecking order, adding depth.
This. If they can pull that off its another epic off season.

Yeah, he had surgery in 2018 and has been far more durable since then. He played a full year in 2019, and the hammy he did this year was classed as minor, but the club no doubt put him in cotton wool for an extra few weeks. He apparently tweaked his hammy as someone pushed him in the back as he was kicking, so sounded pretty standard.

His return in round 15 this year coincided with us winning 3 out of the last 4 games we had...

Sorry, next time I make what was clearly sarcastic comment, I won't pick out one injury for it and will be more vague.

I thought the table showing all the games and seasons he has missed so far in his career was in response to a different comment I made questioning someone who said his durability wasnt an issue despite his career numbers showing otherwise.

No problems, you have a right to be a bit concerned. Really after Hanners, we would be a little gun shy. The quote above yours may ally some concerns.
Fingers crossed hey?

Yeah, he had surgery in 2018 and has been far more durable since then. He played a full year in 2019, and the hammy he did this year was classed as minor, but the club no doubt put him in cotton wool for an extra few weeks. He apparently tweaked his hammy as someone pushed him in the back as he was kicking, so sounded pretty standard.

His return in round 15 this year coincided with us winning 3 out of the last 4 games we had...
Yep he had some serious numbers in those games.
Someone else can work out the averages. But he would be a class above.

Oh well...
I'll just have to go with old "defer to those in charge" policy on this one.
Yes it makes us better, but by how much I'm dubious.

Anyway, is this the first FA to ever come to the Saints?? I can't think of another..

Crouch & Steele on the inside, Jones & Clark outside and Gresham pinch hitting both. Not to mention Ross who had a great end to the year (hoping form continues, he did mention he is playing to his ability now instead of previous years where he would try pull off kicks that he wasn't capable of).

What this also will do is push goal threats like Billings into the forward line where he belongs.

It's a great move for us structurally, still think we need another mid who can win inside and outside but positive we will land a couple more.

Exciting stuff!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hannerbury was never the same after 2016, he was properly broken down. When Crouch does play he's still top of his game.
Thing with hanners is i think hes never been more valuable given the issues with the footy dept cap.

People need to remember footy depts will end up getting thinner.

So having a "playing" development coach is worth its weight in gold. It means you can have a guy working in your footy dept who's on the much fatter salary cap budget.

So if hanners doesn't play or plays limited games he could spend more time developing his coaching.

Kane Cornes is a journo now. Do not listen to him. He has no idea.
[/QUOT
More than some , went the crow a tad early didnt you

Getting Crouch should allow us to push Billings and Gresham more into the forward line - Kent and Lonie likely get pushed out of our best 22. We're a lot stronger with crouch coming in
Tend to agree. Given Gresham's back I reckon they will ease him back in.

It'll be interesting to see where this leaves Ross. I've been a Ross defender at times, but Crouch is a pretty direct replacement for him really. Both are players that need to spend close too all their time in the midfield. Steele and Crouch will have to spots locked up. Jones, Gresham and Clark will need to go through there. I don't really see how Ross fits in.

Before sticking the boots into the bloke , check his 2019 stats ,,,,, Sensational

YearTeamGMKHDMGBTHOFFFAGAI50CLCGR50BL
2020​
12​
11.3​
10.7​
22.0​
1.7​
0.2​
0.1​
3.8​
0​
1.2​
1.2​
0.2​
3.0​
5.0​
4.1​
1.2​
0.08​
2019​
22​
15.4​
14.9​
30.3​
3.0​
0.5​
0.6​
5.1​
0.1​
1.1​
0.6​
0.3​
3.9​
5.5​
3.7​
1.9​
0.64​

Crouch is a good player, durability is the only concern.

FB: Wilkie Howard Paton
HB: Coffield Carlisle Long
C: Hill Clark Hannebery
HF: Gresham Marshall Billings
FF: Membrey King Butler
R: Ryder Steele Crouch
IC: Geary Jones Ross Battle

Solid looking team, nicely balanced.

The concern of course is still the lack of elite players. Coffield, Clark, King and Battle are the great hopes at the moment. Adding Caldwell, giving us another potential break out player would be handy.

Would be lovely if Gold Coast could play Bing in the back line in 2021 to help develop our future CHB.

It'll be interesting to see where this leaves Ross. I've been a Ross defender at times, but Crouch is a pretty direct replacement for him really. Both are players that need to spend close too all their time in the midfield. Steele and Crouch will have to spots locked up. Jones, Gresham and Clark will need to go through there. I don't really see how Ross fits in.
I think it might be a case of hanners playing less games.

Ross was a shut down player for us in the 2nd half of 2020. Crouch sint coming in as a shut down player.

Hes coming in as a inside mid to win his own ball.

I think ross still has a starting place in that midfield as a stopper.

Hanners is the one who I think will be pushed out from the inside and will play more wing.

I think it might be a case of hanners playing less games.

Ross was a shut down player for us in the 2nd half of 2020. Crouch sint coming in as a shut down player.

Hes coming in as a inside mid to win his own ball.

I think ross still has a starting place in that midfield as a stopper.

Hanners is the one who I think will be pushed out from the inside and will play more wing.
There's only so many starting midfielder spots though. Ross in that tagging role takes up a spot at centre bounces for 75% plus each game. Crouch will be starting at most centre bounces, as will Steele. I don't know if we'll persist with a tagging role.

Great news, if he wasn't a FA and cost picks I'd be concerned but as it currently sits I'm happy.
Hopefully gets some consistensy back but as others have said, instant improvement in the middle and takes the load off of Steele. Like.

Another big tick for our program, he’s the biggest fish in the FA market this year and there would have been multiple clubs after him.

Our biggest issue this year was clearance work against the better sides, he immediately improves that area and gives Steele a chop out. With Jones, Gresh and Clarke in and out as the other mid spot we are looking much better there. Also fills a need age and body wise, we looked small against some of the more experienced teams so a more mature body helps.

Was just think about this. Ross was ordinary early doors, but once teams started to sit on Jones (who tapered a bit) he came into his own. Ross is not a total inside pig, needs a tiny bit of time and space to get up and going. Nearing the end of the season, was very hard to sit on all of Steele, Hanners, Ross and Jones so he got off the leash a bit and looked so much better.

Ross is not slow, but isn't as quick as Sinclair. Thinking he may be used in a Sinclair role, however Sincs uses the ball better and with Jones and Couch not renowned for their disposal by foot, I reckon he may have the edge on Seb. Really nice headache to have.

Once you add that to the probable month he misses at some stage during the season with a hamstring, the deal just keeps getting better....

Not sure why you’re so salty on it ... he is going to cost us nothing and In terms of money who else are we going to spend it on ???

The Richmond final showed our mids don’t get it enough abd we had so many period this year where we were just dominated because we couldn’t get the ball .. he helps that .. key word helps ..

What a grader are we getting ??? Getting crouch for nothing to help our mids is a no brainer if he gets injured so be it still costs us nothing and again who else are we gonna spend the money on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back