Unsolved Rhianna Barreau - Adelaide schoolgirl disappearance

Remove this Banner Ad

I know the area pretty well, and before the freeway went through. I allways thought a site maybe at the back of the wine warehouse on Aldershot road.
I would image the area was searched fairly well. They mainly searched the Christie Creek area, from memory. But as the detective said, "she could be closer than people think". The area behind aldershot road was mainly scrubland, right up to brodie rd
Yeah that corner I highlighted was scrub used for pipe storage and general truck parking at times.

Yeah that corner I highlighted was scrub used for pipe storage and general truck parking at times.
in the year she went missing, a few factories in the area were working an afternoon and night shift. So we can rule out bushland near those factories.

One of the interesting things about that section - and it may only be the last 10 years but the smell as I drive down Aldershot is strong - and even on the expressway I can smell the wine smell from Vinpac - that would hide a myriad of bad smells

One of the interesting things about that section - and it may only be the last 10 years but the smell as I drive down Aldershot is strong - and even on the expressway I can smell the wine smell from Vinpac - that would hide a myriad of bad smells
in that era it was a Blass company.

Follow up on possible locations

They have started development on the site at the corner of Aldershot and Sherriffs Rd ie next to Tradelink site and not far from MVPS and Highwray Dve

View attachment 991042
building a on-the-run servo and recycling center at that location
still a mystery where she ended up. with the freeway going in, I thought they would have found her with all of those earth works.
she might still be on some-ones property

building a on-the-run servo and recycling center at that location
still a mystery where she ended up. with the freeway going in, I thought they would have found her with all of those earth works.
she might still be on some-ones property
You think a neighbours property?

from October this year, The Reward is 1,000,000. enough to get people talking!

This week marks yet another year since teenager Rhianna Barreau disappeared without a trace.

The 12-year old went missing from her home at Wakefield Avenue, Morphett Vale on Wednesday 7 October 1992.

She lived at home with her mother and brother, who were both not at home at the time of her disappearance.

On that fateful day Rhianna decided to visit the nearby Southgate Shopping Centre at Reynella to purchase a Christmas card for her American pen pal.

Because there was a bus strike that day, she walked.

After her mother left for work, it appears Rhianna remained at home until mid-morning.

There was a positive sighting of her at 10.30am walking towards the Reynella newsagency.

The last known sighting of her was at 12.30pm on Highway Drive, between the Morphett Vale High School and the Stanvac Primary School.

It is believed that Rhianna returned home because the card she purchased was found on a dining room table — although precisely what time and what then occurred remains a mystery.

She is suspected to have been murdered.

While there are several persons of interest who are believed to have information concerning Rhianna’s disappearance, there is no definitive suspect.

A reward of up to $1,000,000 remains on offer to anyone who either provides information leading to the recovery of her remains or information leading to a conviction in the case.

from October this year, The Reward is 1,000,000. enough to get people talking!

This week marks yet another year since teenager Rhianna Barreau disappeared without a trace.

The 12-year old went missing from her home at Wakefield Avenue, Morphett Vale on Wednesday 7 October 1992.

She lived at home with her mother and brother, who were both not at home at the time of her disappearance.

On that fateful day Rhianna decided to visit the nearby Southgate Shopping Centre at Reynella to purchase a Christmas card for her American pen pal.

Because there was a bus strike that day, she walked.

After her mother left for work, it appears Rhianna remained at home until mid-morning.

There was a positive sighting of her at 10.30am walking towards the Reynella newsagency.

The last known sighting of her was at 12.30pm on Highway Drive, between the Morphett Vale High School and the Stanvac Primary School.

It is believed that Rhianna returned home because the card she purchased was found on a dining room table — although precisely what time and what then occurred remains a mystery.

She is suspected to have been murdered.

While there are several persons of interest who are believed to have information concerning Rhianna’s disappearance, there is no definitive suspect.

A reward of up to $1,000,000 remains on offer to anyone who either provides information leading to the recovery of her remains or information leading to a conviction in the case.

Hopefully, this jogs someone's memory with good information.

From looking at photographs of Rhianna Barreau taken from just before she vanished, she looks much older than her actual 12 years, more like 15 or 16-years-old. Obviously Rhianna isn't the only woman in the history of the world to look older than her actual age, but no way does she look like a 12-year-old.

Perhaps on the day Rhianna went missing people who might have seen her thought they were seeing a girl aged in her mid teens, and after hearing a few days later that a 12-year-old girl had vanished from the area, did not connect the two together?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

emuboy And why is the most widely used photo of Rhianna one where she's madeup with heavy lipstick etc.? A photo of Rhianna as she looked without all the goop on her face would have been a lot more helpful to the public.

I know the photo you mean and yes Rhianna does look much older wearing make-up, but there's plenty of other photos of Rhianna and in those she looks like a girl aged in her mid teens.

Like I said, there's lots of people who look much older than they really are. One good example is Canadian actress Cobie Smulders, who in the first season of How I Met Your Mother in 2005 is aged only 23, but looks over 30 and much older than co-star Alyson Hannigan, who in fact is 8 years older. My thought was that because Rhianna looks so much older than her actual age that if she was in a place where she might not have been expected to be that day, potential witnesses having heard that a 12-year-old girl was missing may not have remembered sighting her as at the time they thought they were seeing a girl aged about 15 or 16.

Of course, maybe nobody did see Rhianna that day, its a very odd case and as I noted in an earlier post very much like the well-known 'Springfield Three' case from America earlier that year in that Rhianna simply seemed to vanish from existence, leaving not a shred of a clue to suggest what happened to her.

They have often mentioned a white Torana in connection with the Disappearance.
But police were also interested in a light coloured Comodore, it was seen cruising the streets.
I am not sure if they tracked down the driver.

emuboy And why is the most widely used photo of Rhianna one where she's madeup with heavy lipstick etc.? A photo of Rhianna as she looked without all the goop on her face would have been a lot more helpful to the public.

if memory serves, the publicized photo was of RB all made up for the wedding of a family member.

imho

There were no real suspects to the case, other than the description of the male in the white Torana, but even his picture & description has dropped off the reports over the years. It makes me think that the police have eliminated him & the Torana. If that was their strongest lead, they haven’t plugged away at it much at all, so possibly it has been eliminated?

The only person (who hasnt been named) that was a witness, was a next door neighbours house mate, details are below.

‘Steve Fallen still lives in the house next door to where Rhianna Barreau was abducted almost 28 years ago, but was not home at the time.

Back then his housemate was one of the witnesses.

"He said he was sitting out at the front of the deli and saw suspicious people in a Torana but they could have just been suspicious people and might have had nothing to do with it," he said.

" didn't really know her a lot. wasn't here, didn't see anything and couldn't protect her so it's just happened.’

The statements made by the housemate seemed strange to me as he says ‘couldn’t protect her so it just happened’. Is that not a strange comment to make? Im wondering if this is the person who Arthur’s is referring to when he said

‘the killer may be closer than people think.’
and also said,
‘I would suspect that her remains are closer to where she lived than most people think.’

It appears Arthur’s is making reference to this housemate wouldnt you say? I would like to know who this housemate was & his background.Police have states they had one suspect in this case, is this THE suspect they refer to? Does he have a sinister background to give reasoning for suspecting him? Or had his story changed over time?

There is no time stated as to when the housemate saw her either.

Regarding his picture and description dropping off the report, i remember a sketch of a male with a moustache ( think ) I went to state library years later trying to find that photo, but had no luck. Does anyone have access to one, or some of the 1st sketch photo's released in the advertiser

Regarding his picture and description dropping off the report, i remember a sketch of a male with a moustache ( think ) I went to state library years later trying to find that photo, but had no luck. Does anyone have access to one, or some of the 1st sketch photo's released in the advertiser

I haven't seen anything around over social media, do you think you might know this person?

I think its been mentioned there are a couple of scenarios ie

'can you help me find my kitten , I think it ran into your yard '
' hey come over and meet my friends'
I think what links the killer and victim, is music..... records. He's possibly met her at a record bar or something.
Im pretty sure there was a outlet at South Gate shopping centre, Sanity? there was definately the Target store.
The killer has most likely followed her back from there. The killer could be a musician or something.
He definately lives in the surounding streets. bannga rd, judith cres, brian tce, acre ave, brenton st, david tce, highwray dr,
crittendon rd, westmoreland rd, victor tce, julie st and suzanne ave

Last edited:
I haven't seen anything around over social media, do you think you might know this person?

i'm only going on a photo sketch from a few months i think, after her disappearance. I really can't say either way, until i can view that artist sketch again. There's a few things in this discussion thread, that, more than likely mean nothing, got me wondering. Believe you/me, it's very likely nothing at all. I would like to see that early sketch if anyone can find it

Her school friends are the key to this case.

There are things that she probably not tell her mum, but would tell her closest friends.

The friends may have also seen the offender at some stage. The person would have appeared to be overtly friendly and possibly grooming her.
As the police suggest, he was living close. Due to his proximity, hes probably destroyed all evidence and moved the body. Mainly for fear of being searched.
He would be quietly confident the police would not find any trace at his property. They offender may not have anybody living with him after all this time.

Her school friends are the key to this case.

There are things that she probably not tell her mum, but would tell her closest friends.

The friends may have also seen the offender at some stage. The person would have appeared to be overtly friendly and possibly grooming her.
As the police suggest, he was living close. Due to his proximity, hes probably destroyed all evidence and moved the body. Mainly for fear of being searched.
He would be quietly confident the police would not find any trace at his property. They offender may not have anybody living with him after all this time.

Hey, new to this forum but this thread is a very interesting read. I grew up in Salisbury but now live in Morphett vale and remembered this case. I think you're spot on about the friends - I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on this case and found this thread

There's a person who mentions rhianna may have been seeing someone older, and others seem to know who is being talked about. Even police have used the words "allegiances change over time" in statements, which makes me think they have someone in mind but no evidence.

Kind of freaky to think the perpetrator may still live on Highwray drive or Wakefield ave.

So I took a drive for the first time the other day up Wakefield Ave, then down Highwray Ave back to Acre Ave. One thing in particular caught my interest.

There is a section of Highwray Drv that is opposite where Stanvac Primary school and kindy used to be e.g. houses only on one side . In school holidays there would be no kids around. It is also just before the road curves around which means people at the Acre Ave end of Highwray Drv wouldn't see anything.

If Rhianna happened to be walking along that street there is a lower chance of her abduction being seen at that point.

There's a stretch of about 8 or so houses opposite the former school, I wonder if the offender lived in one and had already seen Rhianna walking home from Southgate earlier as the reports say she was seen going through the school. She may have even recognised the person or known them enough to go close enough to a house that the offender could get her inside without much struggle.

On realestate.com.au some of the houses have no sale data either so if it was someone living there they may still be there.

So I took a drive for the first time the other day up Wakefield Ave, then down Highwray Ave back to Acre Ave. One thing in particular caught my interest.

There is a section of Highwray Drv that is opposite where Stanvac Primary school and kindy used to be e.g. houses only on one side . In school holidays there would be no kids around. It is also just before the road curves around which means people at the Acre Ave end of Highwray Drv wouldn't see anything.

If Rhianna happened to be walking along that street there is a lower chance of her abduction being seen at that point.

There's a stretch of about 8 or so houses opposite the former school, I wonder if the offender lived in one and had already seen Rhianna walking home from Southgate earlier as the reports say she was seen going through the school. She may have even recognised the person or known them enough to go close enough to a house that the offender could get her inside without much struggle.

On realestate.com.au some of the houses have no sale data either so if it was someone living there they may still be there.
a couple of years ago, we found a few persons of interest. guys known to police. they lived in the surrounding streets. one was interviewed by police at the time of the disappearance. not sure if they still live in the area. didnt find anyone dodgy on highwray drv Im affraid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back