Remove this Banner Ad

1603233961401.png

1603233994555.png

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
awesome main event. The challenger has a genuine shot at upstaging the master. Dangerous fight for Whitaker too. Cracking match up's and looking forward to it.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Should be a ripper.

The markets have both Whittaker and Tuivasa as very slight underdogs.

Both fights seem like coin flips to me.

As for the main event I'm a big fan of Khabib, both the fighter and the personality.

I feel the same way about Gaethje, though. Fun fighting style to watch, seems humble and honest outside of the ring.

Can't see anybody stopping Khabib from doing what Khabib does. He demolished Poirier like he was two weight classes too strong.

How about the promo art?

ufc_254_poster.jpg

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good on you for making the thread.

Just some quick thoughts, Gaethje sits around $3.50 on Sportbet.
I look at him more in the $10 (10-1) range to win this championship.

You're talking about a guy who's basically never wrestled in his UFC career going to suddenly beat the best wrestler in the history of the sport?

Like I know he's wrestling background, he's a championship level fighter, but Dustin and Eddie have fought this guy and put him away.

Good luck to him, he's a warrior but Conor has a better shot.

Good on you for making the thread.

Just some quick thoughts, Gaethje sits around $3.50 on Sportbet.
I look at him more in the $10 (10-1) range to win this championship.

You're talking about a guy who's basically never wrestled in his UFC career going to suddenly beat the best wrestler in the history of the sport?

Like I know he's wrestling background, he's a championship level fighter, but Dustin and Eddie have fought this guy and put him away.

Good luck to him, he's a warrior but Conor has a better shot.
Please McGregor got rag dolled as much as Poirier did. Khabib was even willing to stand and trade with McGregor whereas he learned quickly not to trade with Poirier

Gaethje is a better and smarter fighter than he was when he lost to Poirier and Alvarez. He was too reckless back then and had a stupid albeit exciting mentality of either you get ko'ed or I get ko'ed. His fight against Ferguson he showed his maturity, being able to hold himself back from recklesly running in when its dangerous.

Khabib comes into his first ever fight with out his father/trainer/mentor and we don't know how that is going to go for him.

I still have Khabib favorite but Gaethje offers an exciting challenge to him

Wonder if there's any value in Jacob Malkoun? First fight in the UFC. A $3.20 underdog. I feel like he must be decent if he's Whittaker's main sparring partner.
Very small sample size with only 4 pro fights and he hasn't really beat anyone of note in the domestic mma circuit

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Should be a ripper.

The markets have both Whittaker and Tuivasa as very slight underdogs.

Both fights seem like coin flips to me.

As for the main event I'm a big fan of Khabib, both the fighter and the personality.

I feel the same way about Gaethje, though. Fun fighting style to watch, seems humble and honest outside of the ring.

Can't see anybody stopping Khabib from doing what Khabib does. He demolished Poirier like he was two weight classes too strong.

How about the promo art?

ufc_254_poster.jpg
love promo pics like these. *n awesome. Also the preview on fox etc.

Awesome.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Regarding the starting time, surely you'd be tempted to avoid social media on Sunday, download a tnerrot, and watch at a more suitable time later in the day.

I'm three hours behind you guys (Kuala Lumpur) and that's still my plan. I did this for the last one and it worked well.

The main problem is that you can kinda infer what kind of fight the main event is based on how long there is to go in the file when it begins.

But it is a small price to pay to wake up normally and watch the fight at a suitable time.

And by suitable I mean suitable to enjoy a froffie, who the fook wants to start drinking early morning?

I'm a self-confessed degenerate and even I wouldn't want to start drinking that early, what a waste of a day.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Regarding the starting time, surely you'd be tempted to avoid social media on Sunday, download a tnerrot, and watch at a more suitable time later in the day.

I'm three hours behind you guys (Kuala Lumpur) and that's still my plan. I did this for the last one and it worked well.

The main problem is that you can kinda infer what kind of fight the main event is based on how long there is to go in the file when it begins.

But it is a small price to pay to wake up normally and watch the fight at a suitable time.

And by suitable I mean suitable to enjoy a froffie, who the fook wants to start drinking early morning?

I'm a self-confessed degenerate and even I wouldn't want to start drinking that early, what a waste of a day.
What are you talking about?
Is this fight at some very different time to others that been run there ?
I not heard anything about some weird different time.
Usually I find these fight happen around midday to 3 pm here for main event.
I watched the Crude fight and then Ortega fight around lunch time last Sunday and expect the same this week.
Is it on later or earlier for some reason I not heard of?

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
xrm49gtaebu51.jpg

Main card begins 5am in Melbourne.

Which means the Khabib Gaethje fight will start before 9am.

I think this might be four hours earlier than normal (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm not setting my alarm for 2am (KL time) on a Sunday morning, especially the morning after the AFL's first night grand final.

I'll wake up whenever, go to the gym for a bit, maybe do a little bit of work on the laptop, have a decent day.

I'll avoid social media, tnerrot the fight, settle in around maybe 3pm, and then it is froffie and fight season :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we were allowed to have people over I would have planned watching Cox plate, Grand final, then drinking through the night into the UFC in the morning

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What are you talking about?
Is this fight at some very different time to others that been run there ?
I not heard anything about some weird different time.
Usually I find these fight happen around midday to 3 pm here for main event.
I watched the Crude fight and then Ortega fight around lunch time last Sunday and expect the same this week.
As far as i can gather, in the UAE the main card will start at 10pm, whereas usually the fights start at sparrow fart over there. Great start time for parts of the world that usually cop it rough.
I'll be setting the alarm i think. Might crash early on Saturday night. Fook the footy 🤕

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
khabib is a massive deal in the middle east hence why the timezone suits them for this one, I believe they did the same when he fought Poirier in Dubai last year.

all the other fight island cards have been taking place during the middle of the night where they are to cater to the US audience

Sep 19, 2006
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manchester United
khabib is a massive deal in the middle east hence why the timezone suits them for this one, I believe they did the same when he fought Poirier in Dubai last year.

all the other fight island cards have been taking place during the middle of the night where they are to cater to the US audience

Definitely adjusted the time zone so a lot of Khabib's fans could watch just a shame for Australians!

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
xrm49gtaebu51.jpg

Main card begins 5am in Melbourne.

Which means the Khabib Gaethje fight will start before 9am.

I think this might be four hours earlier than normal (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm not setting my alarm for 2am (KL time) on a Sunday morning, especially the morning after the AFL's first night grand final.

I'll wake up whenever, go to the gym for a bit, maybe do a little bit of work on the laptop, have a decent day.

I'll avoid social media, tnerrot the fight, settle in around maybe 3pm, and then it is froffie and fight season :thumbsu:
Thanks, that is a bit earlier than I used to but I usually up early Sunday so works well for me personally.
First year a Grand final has barely entered my thinking so not fussed and been looking way more forward to these fights than shortened AFL game times.

Thoughts?

Like he said, nothing against Khabib but that's not a good look.

EDIT: Actually, more inclined to think he wouldn't have made weight, and didn't have the capacity to either with the extra time.

That official probably getting a golden handshake, or advised that he wouldn't have gotten out alive.

Another farce in a long line of feck ups with weighins in UFC

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back