Welcome Kyle Hartigan joins the Hawks in a trade from the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta laugh that people are still complaining we’ve gotten a free hit in an area of need. Will be serviceable and serve a role.
Hopefully his role will include belting Cameron before he belts you, belting Hawkins before he belts you and belting Lynch before he waits until you’re lying on the ground and pushing your head into the turf or dropping his knee into your head. Achieve all 3 and he’s paid for himself.

I don't think people are suggesting we don't need a big bodied defender. I think people are saying that Hartigan isn't good enough. I tend to agree that he isn't that good & surely there was someone better available that we could get. Happy to be proven wrong but I'm not holding my breath on him to be a good player for us.
Fair call - I think he may not be up to it but I hope I'm wrong. As others have said, Hendo's a good example.

Crows supporters will be saying good riddance. Perineal whipping boy

When Kyle plays within his limitations, he is a good tall defender. When his team mates expect him to do dinky 20 metre kicks in the D50...it just isn't going to work. This year when he came back in, he was given the instruction, kick long down the line and they were reasonable kicks and the turnovers stopped.

He isn't a rebounding defender but he is a solid KPD. Hope he goes well for you guys

1%ers. No fuss. Bit unit. Hopefully a few years of solid service.

Cracks in and tackles based on the highlights which is one of the things we were missing this year.

Frosty was definitely a bright spot. I've always been of the opinion that when a teams on the re-build good honest hard-working footballers like ya Frostys, or Dan howes, blokes that don't take a backwards step are of the utmost importance. They set a certain standard that is required to win flags. If KH is of that mould then good luck to him.
a097ad205d57b45945840631eb3a5089.jpg

So it appears it's two years with an option of a third. I'm fine with that.

He actually defends (or defended) better than Frawley in the last couple of years.

Once he interceptes he just got to hand ball out to Will Day or Eli..

Two years with an option for a third is good value. He'll be 28 for most of next year and is a big body. I was forced to watch some Adelaide games this year and thought he actually did pretty well on the opposition forwards (from memory kept Hawkins to 1 goal). At worst he's just a body as Koschitzke develops. As best he can contribute for 3-5 years. As long as we tell him to handball it to our smaller guys or just kick the thing 60 metres think he might surprise.

Will he be able to play on the big fwds like Hawkins/Lynch etc?

Actually Towelled up Hawkins this year

Hartigan also impressed in Round 12, 2019 against GWS, keeping Geelong's latest wannabe a super star,
Jeremy Cameron and eventual Coleman Medal winner that year to just one goal...:thumbsu:

Last edited:
If Hartigan wants to come back to Melbourne and wants to join the hawks, I'm fine with that.

He is still 28, turn 29 in April.

Chip was good for us but with all the migraines, back issues, he retired whilst 32 years old.

Hawks get a stopper to play on bigger guys as he's 98kg.

A role player at a reasonable contract is what the club needs for now, especially as Sicily is out for next year.

Same junior club as Sicily is a trivia answer.

Some wanted Corr who is reported as possibly getting 600k so cost wise this works.

If a bloke wants to come and help out the defenders, its a need for the team, so am open-minded for 2021.

Go Hawks!!!

It’s a good point, he’s money ball compared to Corr - not that different in ability but a lot cheaper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much angst for a cheap recruit to play a role.
I don't remember this sort of thing when we recruited Spangher or Cheney.

It's not like our future success rests on Hartigan.
Still got trades and the draft to come.
Difference is Spangher we had Lake there & Cheney wasn't really brought in as a key back. Hartigan is the #1 guy & from the get go which is the worrying part. Sure he would be fine as a cheap backup, 2nd fiddle, but as the #1 I'm not too sure.

Difference is Spangher we had Lake there & Cheney wasn't really brought in as a key back. Hartigan is the #1 guy & from the get go which is the worrying part. Sure he would be fine as a cheap backup, 2nd fiddle, but as the #1 I'm not too sure.

Lets not forget that we still have a 27 year old at 198cm 104kg Michael Hartley as a keyDefender on our list to help out if need be, and from what ive seen of him in his limited time in the side this year, looked more than capable in defence.

Kyle Hartigan is a moneyball style pickup if ever I have seen one. That is to say the Hawks think he was undervalued at Adelaide (... not the first)
He could never become Adelaide’s full back with Daniel Talia (brilliant player) owning that position.
Until Kosi get’s his body together, and with Chippa calling time, this is a very smart move.

I don’t think Kyle will be our missing piece in the same way that Lake and Hale owned and dominated their role. But I will be glad to see a soldier ready and able to win their position next year.

Last edited:
Makes sense as a Frawley replacement.

Hope we keep Smith now as we won’t be getting a 2nd round pick as compo due to bringing in a free agent
It actually doesn't....does anyone think Hartigan is gonna be a better key defender for us next year than Frawley would have been? It's not like we are investing in a long term option here either, he's clearly just a stop gap whilst we rebuild.

Kyle Hartigan is a moneyball style pickup if ever I have seen one. That is to say the Hawks think he was undervalued at Adelaide (... not the first)
He could never become Adelaide’s full back with Daniel Talia (brilliant player) owning that position.
Until Kosi get’s his body together, and with Chippa calling time, this is a very smart move.

I don’t think Kyle will be our missing piece in the same way that Lake and Hale owned and dominated their role. But I will be glad to see a soldier ready and able to win their position next year.

A decent stock gap for now! Interesting to see if his a back up or plays @ F.B ahead of Hartley.
Could he fill Stratts position and slide in next to Mcevoy,Frost. Pushing W.Day further up the ground at times, i expect Impey,Scrimshaw,Hardwick,Greaves to be the rebounding defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back