Will the Tim Kelly trade go down as one of the worst ever ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
What did you lot trade to get Beams back again?

Pretty sure that's the worst trade in recent memory, other than Hogan, McCarthy, GC overpaying for Weller, etc...
How dare you! Beams was one of the "greatest" trades of all time because it gave him a purpose and a place to call "home". Being the arts capital of Australia he couldn't help but be inspired by the culture around him. I just think he had an epiphany and finger paiting was his true calling. Judging by the recent photos he seems to be at ease with himself (and his waistline) and i'm sensing he has alot of gratitude toward Collingwood. I can only wish him well in his next phase of his life.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It'll be interesting to see where the picks end up shaking out and who the Cats get for it.

With all the compo and academy picks this year they're bound to get shuffled back more than a few picks in the order.

I'm a bit puzzled why this thread even exists.

Tim Kelly was a gun 12 months ago that the Eagles were being painted as criminals for not meeting whatever geelong wanted. When we stumped up to get the deal done and move on it suddenly becomes the worst trade in history and he's a lemon?

It's a decent troll thread though. Amusing reading.

I think it'll almost certainly prove to be a win-win. Eagles are in the window don't have access to lowly draft picks. We weren't getting elite mids at the draft and historically struggle to do so. Luke Shuey was the last decent midfielder we got with a pick outside the top 10 and that was pick 20 in 2008...

We're a pretty slim chance of ever recruiting elite mids at the draft. Kelly is a gun and we got him for picks outside the top 10.

Geelong have filled the void immediately and moved on. They're possibly about to lift the cup and with the Eagles picks, have enough ammo to continue to be competitive in the top 4 for at least another couple years (12months ago I would never have thought that would be possible).

Definition of a win-win.

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
It'll be interesting to see where the picks end up shaking out and who the Cats get for it.

With all the compo and academy picks this year they're bound to get shuffled back more than a few picks in the order.

I'm a bit puzzled why this thread even exists.

Tim Kelly was a gun 12 months ago that the Eagles were being painted as criminals for not meeting whatever geelong wanted. When we stumped up to get the deal done and move on it suddenly becomes the worst trade in history and he's a lemon?

It's a decent troll thread though. Amusing reading.

I think it'll almost certainly prove to be a win-win. Eagles are in the window don't have access to lowly draft picks. We weren't getting elite mids at the draft and historically struggle to do so. Luke Shuey was the last decent midfielder we got with a pick outside the top 10 and that was pick 20 in 2008...

We're a pretty slim chance of ever recruiting elite mids at the draft. Kelly is a gun and we got him for picks outside the top 10.

Geelong have filled the void immediately and moved on. They're possibly about to lift the cup and with the Eagles picks, have enough ammo to continue to be competitive in the top 4 for at least another couple years (12months ago I would never have thought that would be possible).

Definition of a win-win.
Finally somebody brings some sanity and common sense to this thread. thankyou!

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I have to respectfully disagree and you may think i'm monkeying around, but I what a say is "truth"!
I believe Geelong "claim" they're a proud club, right?! They would have a sense of pride with their recent mature age draft successes and they obviously felt Kelly owes them some gratitude for an AFL lifeline.

Geelong obiously had an epiphany and came to the realisation that the game is bigger than the individual and it is littered with big names leaving clubs, but still remain successfull after their departure.

They only need to look in their own backyard for a recent case study to support this.

Who came thru the mature age draft or are you referring to Kelly, Menegola & Tom Stewart .... Wells is a master,

Legov

Rookie
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
It was a poor trade by the Eagles. They overestimated their list and thought they were in their window. They were a 5th to 8th side in 2019 and were again in 2020. Kelly was never going to be enough to close the gap on Richmond.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
It was a poor trade by the Eagles. They overestimated their list and thought they were in their window. They were a 5th to 8th side in 2019 and were again in 2020. Kelly was never going to be enough to close the gap on Richmond.
In a s**t, interrupted season with ridiculously consed fixturing at the point end of the season which let to a spate of injuries to our star players I really don't think Kelly was the issue we had not making top 4.

Lost to Collingwood by a point at home, as well as the Hawthorn debacle. Win either of them and you don't make top 4 last season.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
It will continue to be one of the worst trades ever until West Coast win a grand final.

and won't they want that monkey off their back, considering what Geelong are about to do?

And what are Geelong about to do?

Fall short yet again?

Start including retirement homes as part of their trade in package?

When someone finally rolls over the top of Richmond THEN they can beat their chests and say 'look what we did!'.

Until then it is all fake news!

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham

Fall short yet again?

When someone finally rolls over the top of Richmond THEN they can beat their chests and say 'look what we did!'.

Jeremy Cameron is 15 months older than Tim Kelly.

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Good trade if you ask me.

Very compromised draft this year. Kelly is a known talent > he will be a good player.

Picks below the top 5 dramatically lose their value.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Jeremy Cameron is 15 months older than Tim Kelly.

How old are Smith and Higgins?

1 to 2 years from retirement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fall short yet again?

lol so you're saying unless Geelong beats Richmond in a grand final then the Tim Kelly trade was bad for them? It was West Coast that went all in for him, I reckon the shoe is on the other foot here.

garlic munchers

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2006
Downbeat Optimist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardinals
lol so you're saying unless Geelong beats Richmond in a grand final then the Tim Kelly trade was bad for them? It was West Coast that went all in for him, I reckon the shoe is on the other foot here.

Please remind me again, how many clubs in the "window" have traded out a star for picks in the draft and then gone on to lose the GF?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Please remind me again, how many clubs in the "window" have traded out a star for picks in the draft and then gone on to lose the GF?

Having spent the two years previously WITH that star player falling short of the grand final.....

Yes this is a strong and coherent line of discussion and I thank you for bringing it to the world’s attention.

I can think of a club who actually WON a grand final and spent the next two off seasons trying to get the same star player being discussed, got him, and went out in week one of the finals.

Does that count

I find it hard to believe you can't remember why TK wanted to be traded to West Coast? It wasn't like Geelong had the choice of keeping TK or selling him for picks and chose the latter.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I find it hard to believe you can't remember why TK wanted to be traded to West Coast? It wasn't like Geelong had the choice of keeping TK or selling him for picks and chose the latter.

Using his logic if you were a tennis player with a single handed backhand, and kept making the semis at Wimbledon, then ditched it for a two handed backhand and made the final and lost, you should have stuck with the single handed backhand

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Didn’t Richmond give up Ottens for Danny Meyer and Adam Pattison?

That’s pretty ordinary considering what we got from it

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
At the rate poor trades keep coming (not the Cameron one), Kelly trade has no chance of being the worst ever.

Thanks Collingwood.
i wouldnt say 'not cameron' just yet. 3 first rounders is too much for cameron. not just because of the season he's just had, but i dont think his career (2 AA, 1 coleman, only 4 seasons over 50 goals) justifies 3 first round picks, especially as he is 28 at the start of the next season.

3 first rounders is selling the future. if the cats win a flag with cameron its not the worst trade ever, but if they fall in a hole in 3 years time they might have needed to have won 2 to justify it.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
i wouldnt say 'not cameron' just yet. 3 first rounders is too much for cameron. not just because of the season he's just had, but i dont think his career (2 AA, 1 coleman, only 4 seasons over 50 goals) justifies 3 first round picks, especially as he is 28 at the start of the next season.

3 first rounders is selling the future. if the cats win a flag with cameron its not the worst trade ever, but if they fall in a hole in 3 years time they might have needed to have won 2 to justify it.

We still have the same amount of picks they are just a year later

Remove this Banner Ad

Back