Prediction 2021 best 22

That is a top 6 side possibly top 4 side.

Definitely a contender.
depth will be our issue. Id like us to turn all those picks into some solid experienced players.
We will be young at full strength and very young if we have a couple out.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
depth will be our issue. Id like us to turn all those picks into some solid experienced players.
We will be young at full strength and very young if we have a couple out.
I reckon we should bring in Isaac Smith for two years.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I reckon we should bring in Isaac Smith for two years.
Is there a risk of him diluting the compensation for Zac, though?

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
So...
Haynes Davis Whitfield
Hogan Taylor Ash
Kelly Taranto Perryman
Greene HH Cogs
Daniels Riccardi Hill
Preuss Hopper Green

Buckley Cumming Ward Finlayson

So...
Haynes Davis Whitfield
Hogan Taylor Ash
Kelly Taranto Perryman
Greene HH Cogs
Daniels Riccardi Hill
Preuss Hopper Green

Buckley Cumming Ward Finlayson

Keefe Davis Ash
Whitfield Taylor Haynes
Kelly Taranto Perryman
Greene Riccardi Cogs
Daniels Hogan Finlayson

Preuss Hopper Green

Buckley/Cumming, Lloyd/Hill, Ward/Kennedy/XOH, HH/Flynn/Briggs

Would be playing Hogan as FF, will be interesting to see the role they are giving O’Halloran next season

Can also see them bringing in another player or 2, which would push Keefe out

Then we have the Geelong trade where Parfitt is 1st player who will be asked for, need to match 1st
FA contract lodgements start from tomorrow, so hopefully Cameron gets lodged early so we know if matching

We need to also give game time to Flynn/Briggs next season

Defiantly have some work to do in the trade period and now have the cap space to make some moves

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Plenty to play out before the list is confirmed for 2021 but here would be a version of a best 22

Cumming Davis Haynes
Whitfield Taylor Ash
Kelly Coniglio Perryman
Greene Hogan MDB
Daniels Riccardi Hill
Preuss Hopper Taranto
TOJ HH Ward Kennedy

This is a good mix of experience and youth and I think this 22 also has a good mix of inside and outside players if all are playing to their best ability and 1 of TOJ/HH to play down back or step in for 1 of Hogan or Riccardi and those mids who are in based on reputation would be Ward/Kennedy and MDB with Green/O'Halloran possibly to come in

bellpark

All Australian
Aug 18, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Plenty to play out before the list is confirmed for 2021 but here would be a version of a best 22

Cumming Davis Haynes
Whitfield Taylor Ash
Kelly Coniglio Perryman
Greene Hogan MDB
Daniels Riccardi Hill
Preuss Hopper Taranto
TOJ HH Ward Kennedy

This is a good mix of experience and youth and I think this 22 also has a good mix of inside and outside players if all are playing to their best ability and 1 of TOJ/HH to play down back or step in for 1 of Hogan or Riccardi and those mids who are in based on reputation would be Ward/Kennedy and MDB with Green/O'Halloran possibly to come in
You forgot Cameron, sure looks like your club want him to stay even if he doesn’t - have to say it looks like he will. Cats governance is too strong to tip into a bluff.

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS

Cumming Davis Haynes
Whitfield Taylor Ash
Kelly Coniglio Perryman
Greene Hogan MDB
Daniels Riccardi Hill
Preuss Hopper Taranto
TOJ HH Ward Kennedy

Looks better balanced than most 2020 sides. Very much like the idea of 2 tall forwards more often.
Hope Cumming, Ash, O’Halloran and Green earn the right to play every game. Be good to see the two long developing big boys get a reasonable go too.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
FB - Kennedy - Davis - Cumming
HB - Haynes - Taylor - Ash
C - Whitfield - Perryman - Kelly
HF - Greene - Hogan - draftee?
FF - Hill - Himmelberg - Daniels
R - Pruess - Coniglio - Hopper - Taranto
I - Green - O'Halloran - draftee? - draftee?

Developing: draftees?
Too old/slow: Ward, De Boer, Keeffe
Backups: Finlayson, Buntine, Flynn, Briggs, Lloyd, Hutchesson, Riccardi, Shipley, Idun
Other rookies: Buckley, Brown, Sproule, Stein, Reid

Gone: Cameron, Corr, Caldwell, Hately, Jacobs, Langdon, Shaw, Sheridan, Williams, Mumford, anyone I missed?

In the draft hopefully we will pick literally anything other than more inside midfielders. We should be drafting like Richmond have over the last 5 years since their star core was locked in - just keep adding more pace and pressure. Yet another inside midfielder would be useless. Need to draft players capable of contributing before Whitfield Coniglio Davis Haynes Greene are cooked / departed.

Selection rationale:
- Hopper Taranto Green is already 3 contest oriented average skill midfielders. The midfield will have zero outside run if we also pick Ward and De Boer. I would consider trading one of Hopper/Taranto at the end of next year because ideally you would have at most 2 of that type. Need more midfield run.
- I would only play the 3 talls in defence. More than 3 kills your ability to generate run from defence.
- I would only play the 2 talls in offence. More than 2 kills your ability to apply forward pressure. Of the 3 available, I have Himmelberg and Hogan ahead of Riccardi.
- I don't particularly rate Finlayson, Lloyd and Reid, and would rather give someone else a crack.

I do understand that Leon won't do any of this. He will play Ward and De Boer for their leadership. He will play Keeffe for 4 talls in defence. He will play all of Himmelberg, Hogan, Riccardi and Finlayson which will leave Hill and Daniels required to run around doing the chasing of 6 players.

So I fully understand the above is a fantasy, and Leon will pick the oldest tallest team possible, just like always.

Still gutted about Williams. Was my favourite Giant for years. Can't blame anyone but still gutted.

Overall, pretty pessimistic, even more so than I was last year, and I was pretty pessimistic coming into last year.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
FB - Kennedy - Davis - Cumming
HB - Haynes - Taylor - Ash
C - Whitfield - Perryman - Kelly
HF - Greene - Hogan - draftee?
FF - Hill - Himmelberg - Daniels
R - Pruess - Coniglio - Hopper - Taranto
I - Green - O'Halloran - draftee? - draftee?

Developing: draftees?
Too old/slow: Ward, De Boer, Keeffe
Backups: Finlayson, Buntine, Flynn, Briggs, Lloyd, Hutchesson, Riccardi, Shipley, Idun
Other rookies: Buckley, Brown, Sproule, Stein, Reid

Gone: Cameron, Corr, Caldwell, Hately, Jacobs, Langdon, Shaw, Sheridan, Williams, Mumford, anyone I missed?

In the draft hopefully we will pick literally anything other than more inside midfielders. We should be drafting like Richmond have over the last 5 years since their star core was locked in - just keep adding more pace and pressure. Yet another inside midfielder would be useless. Need to draft players capable of contributing before Whitfield Coniglio Davis Haynes Greene are cooked / departed.

Selection rationale:
- Hopper Taranto Green is already 3 contest oriented average skill midfielders. The midfield will have zero outside run if we also pick Ward and De Boer. I would consider trading one of Hopper/Taranto at the end of next year because ideally you would have at most 2 of that type. Need more midfield run.
- I would only play the 3 talls in defence. More than 3 kills your ability to generate run from defence.
- I would only play the 2 talls in offence. More than 2 kills your ability to apply forward pressure. Of the 3 available, I have Himmelberg and Hogan ahead of Riccardi.
- I don't particularly rate Finlayson, Lloyd and Reid, and would rather give someone else a crack.

I do understand that Leon won't do any of this. He will play Ward and De Boer for their leadership. He will play Keeffe for 4 talls in defence. He will play all of Himmelberg, Hogan, Riccardi and Finlayson which will leave Hill and Daniels required to run around doing the chasing of 6 players.

So I fully understand the above is a fantasy, and Leon will pick the oldest tallest team possible, just like always.

Still gutted about Williams. Was my favourite Giant for years. Can't blame anyone but still gutted.

Overall, pretty pessimistic, even more so than I was last year, and I was pretty pessimistic coming into last year.
Yeah you have valid point on selection of talls. The flip side is I don’t want to pick lesser players just cos they are short... players like huchenson need to earn their spot not be given it

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Yeah you have valid point on selection of talls. The flip side is I don’t want to pick lesser players just cos they are short... players like huchenson need to earn their spot not be given it
Players earning selection is fine in principle

But having a balanced team is also important

My view is that we are wildly over invested in selecting experienced old slow players, by so far it isn’t even close.

So we could afford to pick a slightly worse player who makes the team much better balanced

I suspect that young players with pace and pressure aren’t necessarily worse than guys like Lloyd Keeffe etc at all. But we don’t know because we rarely list them, and when we do list them we rarely play them.

I wouldn't be writing off Ward yet.

I think Ward with an offseason under his belt will be very, very useful still. He runs alot better than people give him credit for.

Pre-injury he was consistently our best player, top 3 every year in the bnf.

I think we should pick and choose when to use De Boor.

I also think you are being harsh on Taranto, he is skillfull and is an excellent 2 way runner.

Feel we will need to play Cumming and Ash for their run to compliment Whitfield and Kelly.

J Docker

Senior List
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hi giants

What's the overall feeling for Hogan here? Nervous, excited, concerned, horrified??

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Hi giants

What's the overall feeling for Hogan here? Nervous, excited, concerned, horrified??
Horrified that we won't have the right support networks around for him, if we do I have no doubt he'll be a really good player for us

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Players earning selection is fine in principle

But having a balanced team is also important

My view is that we are wildly over invested in selecting experienced old slow players, by so far it isn’t even close.

So we could afford to pick a slightly worse player who makes the team much better balanced

I suspect that young players with pace and pressure aren’t necessarily worse than guys like Lloyd Keeffe etc at all. But we don’t know because we rarely list them, and when we do list them we rarely play them.
I looked through that team
Again and there is just no way we play three draftees.
Imo lloyd deserves to be there and Keefe probably gets a bench spot.
Happy for one draftee (if it is a backman) to get the nod

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
kulak 's team has one too many players on the R line - totals 23, so there will be one less draftee than stated.

I also agree with his prediction that Leon will play 3 tall forwards - that Riccardi will fill in one ? and TBH, I would probably go that way too.

I join him in concern over playing too many experienced but slow players - I think it's time to put de Boer back to the NEAFL team to be a guiding senior player there, and use him on rare occasions when we feel a run with player is required.

I too would like to see some outside run. I guess we'll see who we select in the draft. I do hope there's some injection of speed in this year's draftees, but need some skill (accurate kickers) amongst them.

I can see 1 or 2 spots open to draftees with the right skills, although similarly fear that it will be none and we'll just re-do this season all over again.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Why do you think this?

There is no doubt if injury free and head on straight he is an absolute gun.

In Sydney he is out of the limelight and footy bubble that he has been in when in the footy states.

He also, as has been said, injury free going into the off season for the 1st time in a few years.

He also does not have a guaranteed big contract, it’s small and has lots of conditions.

The ball is in his court but it’s no lose for us.

Hi giants

In my view an excellent risk reward signing.

If he gets near his potential he is a great player. Of course, as you guys know, that is a big if!

It hasn't cost us much in trade value, and his contract is heavily incentive based. Not much to lose.

J Docker

Senior List
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very good and well rounded answers. You will still however need to keep him on a very very tight leash.

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Kennedy Davis Haynes
Ash Taylor Whitfield
Perryman Ward Kelly
Greene Hogan daniels
Hill Riccardi HH
Preuss Hopper Taranto

Cumming Coniglio Briggs Buckley

Green Lloyd XO Idun MDB finlayson Keefe

Through the draft would like speed through the midfield plus at least one key position player.
I still think we are well and truly in the window.

Back