Opinion Most HATED Opposition Club? (Besides West Lakes)

Most HATED Opposition Club? (Besides West Lakes)

• Collingwood (Eddie)

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Essendon (Based On Record)

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Geelong (Record And Players)

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Hawthorn (Former Coach)

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • North Melbourne (Based On Record)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Richmond (Former Coach)

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • West Coast (Perth Crows?)

Votes: 7 11.3%

• Total voters

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
I saw another club forum talking about a topic along similar lines, but it got me thinking if we took our cross-town rivals out of the question, who would be our biggest rival and most hated opponent? I have thought about the most likely candidates and limited a poll to select options, but I simply wanted to know out of pure curiosity to get a better understanding of how our supporters view the rest of the competition, and I expect most of us will have the same answers.

Truthfully I don't hate any teams personally so I am not promoting antagonistic behaviour with this question or anything, its all part of the game and its culture to embrace rivalries, I wouldn't expect anybody to be too offended so hopefully, we can all share our answers confidently.

The Crows are out of the question to make the answers more interesting, who knows maybe some of us have MORE hate for other clubs than the Crows?

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1) Essendon - Drug saga, worst supporter base in the comp.
2) Western Bulldogs - 2016*, blatant cheats of the game with all their throwing, ducking and diving that they get away with
3) Hawthorn - Free kick Hawthorn, protected species
4) Richmond - Hated them more than the Crows when Chaplin was there but I warmed to them after he left and they beat the Crows in 2017. But now, I hate Tom Lynch and Trent Cotchin and the fact that none of their players get suspended for thug acts. Also, Alex Rance.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
1) Essendon - Drug saga, worst supporter base in the comp.
2) Western Bulldogs - 2016*, blatant cheats of the game with all their throwing, ducking and diving that they get away with
3) Hawthorn - Free kick Hawthorn, protected species
4) Richmond - Hated them more than the Crows when Chaplin was there but I warmed to them after he left and they beat the Crows in 2017. But now, I hate Tom Lynch and Trent Cotchin and the fact that none of their players get suspended for thug acts. Also, Alex Rance.
Considered putting the Doggies in the poll, but couldn't think of enough reasons to put them up there. Their supporters have been a mixed bag for me too. Seen some pretty decent and faithful people in their colours while also spotting some arrogant utensil heads who think they can talk up to all the big club despite their lack of silverware.

I agree with the take on Richmond though. Although I reckon they've got a handful of guns that keep them off of my personal chopping block right now (Edwards, Prestia, Vlausten and Balta to name a couple) It's ironic that the same team has some of my favourite and least favourite oppo players in the comp.

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Collingwood
McGuire
Prison bars
Against us joining in 1990

Not sure how anyone could hate anything more than a franchise wearing red blue and yellow hoops, impossible.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
I don't really have a problem with Richmond. Weren't they the one club who supported Port's bid to join the AFL in 1990?

They're ok.
It differs depending on the sources but I actually read up that Richmond voted against Port on the original bid and voted against the crows as well when the SANFL pitched their bid. They just didn't want an SA team at all at the time because they were at the bottom of the ladder at the time and they didn't want to lose their draft picks to the next team.

I think Collingwood, Richmond, Melbourne and Footscray were the initial teams that voted against us, whilst according to this source here, West Coast, Sydney, Carlton and even GEELONG (Wtf?) were happy for us to join the league based on our original plans.

It's one of the multiple articles on the topic from the website, but I screenshot this:

WowReally.PNG

Dalfino

#BringBackTheBars
May 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Whoever we are playing that week generally becomes my most hated club, a nice revolving door of hatred throughout the season. It's funny because in sports that I casually follow like the NFL I often have a handful of teams that I tend to lean towards, but in the AFL, it's either Port or GTFO. Us against them.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Geelong. Dank 1.0 and we get to wear the record of the worst GF loss ever, because the AFL has swept it all under the rug and sticks their fingers in their ears and goes *LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!* if anyone mentions Dank and co. were there before moving to Essendon.

Essendon second for Dank 2.0 and not admitting properly yet they were lying cheats. With a special dose of hate for Tim Watson, as the only player parent with enough pull to force the club to give real answers what they pumped their kids with. Only to side with the club over his own son's potential health issues down the track. As a father my mind boggles at his actions and I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Definitely Geelong for a multitude of reasons that everyone else has mentioned or will mention. Would much rather they win this weekend than Richmond though (not that I really care either way).
I think if I had to order my most hated teams it would be:
1. Adelaide (duh)
2. Geelong (duh)
3. West Coast (recent losses after the siren, umpire favourites, WA Crows)
4. Hawthorn (pretty scummy players during their three-peat and overall annoying fanbase that has since disappeared)
5. Richmond (recency bias at play here, I live in Victoria too and can’t stand their fans, was grateful that they beat Adelaide but * they’ve drained it since then)
Then daylight between them and Collingwood who I only don’t like because of Eddie, my family goes for them though so it balances out, then apathetic towards everyone else besides Freo who I kind of like too (used to want to go for Port or Freo as a 4 year old Collingwood fan lol). I also am not fond of whatever team we lose to for a bit but it mellows out quickly unless it’s one of the top 5 mentioned there, then it contributes to that.

MrPlow

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think I hate every club that is not port Adelaide - just to different degrees

Hands down though, the two teams this weekend I hate the most

Back