News Rhyce Shaw and North Melbourne part ways effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to see this as attacking North or Shaw, or speculating on the nature or severity of his illness but....

If you had a physical illness you'd be given time to recover before deciding whether you can keep coaching or not.

If you have a mental illness where almost certainly one of the major symptoms is impaired judgment then shouldn't you be given at least the same if not more time to recover and be able to make decisions once full healthy?

I don't think Rhyce Shaw should ever coach North again with a terrible list, in the middle of a pandemic, with the club cutting costs, stuck in a hub. That's fairly obvious. And I believe the statement where he's agreed to stand down. Because clearly the job this year wasn't good for his health and almost certainly he feels he's better off not carrying that burden right now.

What if he's given a senior assistant, a mentor, restricted to a healthy amount of working hours, has a more stable footy department and players and spends the vast majority of time in his home state not stuck in a QLD hotel?

Or if that's too much why not be really bold and leave open the possibility of him rejoining the club as an assistant.

It just doesn't seem right to me that so soon after falling ill he's walking away from a job.

You're not attacking either North or Shaw, but you're making an assumption based on discussion around the decision which no-one is privy to.

Until the state of Rhyce is known, no-one is in a position to make judgement on what Rhyce should do going forward.

I don't want to see this as attacking North or Shaw, or speculating on the nature or severity of his illness but....

If you had a physical illness you'd be given time to recover before deciding whether you can keep coaching or not.

If you have a mental illness where almost certainly one of the major symptoms is impaired judgment then shouldn't you be given at least the same if not more time to recover and be able to make decisions once full healthy?
I think the best way to give Rhyce as much time as possible to recover is to agree to go separate ways early in the process.

Even after the letter came out explaining the situation, the first question on every footy show was "who is going to coach North?" The last thing anyone recovering from mental health issues needs is media pressure on a "will they - wont they" situation.

The door would surely be open to Rhyce to come back in a assistant role if/when he wants to. But for now, surely the best thing for Rhyce is to be as far away from footy as possible.

I don't think Rhyce Shaw should ever coach North again with a terrible list, in the middle of a pandemic, with the club cutting costs, stuck in a hub. That's fairly obvious. And I believe the statement where he's agreed to stand down. Because clearly the job this year wasn't good for his health and almost certainly he feels he's better off not carrying that burden right now.

What if he's given a senior assistant, a mentor, restricted to a healthy amount of working hours, has a more stable footy department and players and spends the vast majority of time in his home state not stuck in a QLD hotel?

Or if that's too much why not be really bold and leave open the possibility of him rejoining the club as an assistant.

It just doesn't seem right to me that so soon after falling ill he's walking away from a job.
By all reports everyone at the club loves the bloke. I don't see it as shutting doors on him, he would be welcome back in another capacity.
But I think this is for the best, it's one less thing he has to stress about and he can focus on getting himself into a good place.

The trading and drafting season is a super important time, and I think both the club and Rhyce would have seen that if he were unlikely to be coaching next year, it didn't make sense for him to be making decisions on who to draft etc.

Everything I've heard so far on the back end (non journo spin) is that it has been a very amicable split, and Rhyce has not been 'ditched to fend on his own'. The club is going to be constantly supporting him on his journey back to full health and have offered whatever assistance he needs.

By all reports everyone at the club loves the bloke. I don't see it as shutting doors on him, he would be welcome back in another capacity.
But I think this is for the best, it's one less thing he has to stress about and he can focus on getting himself into a good place.

The trading and drafting season is a super important time, and I think both the club and Rhyce would have seen that if he were unlikely to be coaching next year, it didn't make sense for him to be making decisions on who to draft etc.

Everything I've heard so far on the back end (non journo spin) is that it has been a very amicable split, and Rhyce has not been 'ditched to fend on his own'. The club is going to be constantly supporting him on his journey back to full health and have offered whatever assistance he needs.
With all due respect to North I'm not sure if Clarkson supported by assistants Hardwick, C. Scott and Simpson signed on to coach next year the trade period would change at all. Neither should any realistic new coach be having a huge involvement in recruiting. Crazy Vossy probably shouldn't be calling out pick 2.

Of course it's been amicable, my concern is not with North it's with the idea that Shaw is in the right place to be making those decisions and the difference in how physical and mental illness get treated. If Shaw had a heart attack he'd need all the same time and space to recover and he'd probably be of sound mind to consider his choices. Whatever has happened now almost by definition he can't be in the greatest mindset to make career altering decisions.

Well thank god he has you to direct his personal life. I mean what would he and the club do without your in depth knowledge and experience.

With all due respect to North I'm not sure if Clarkson supported by assistants Hardwick, C. Scott and Simpson signed on to coach next year the trade period would change at all. Neither should any realistic new coach be having a huge involvement in recruiting. Crazy Vossy probably shouldn't be calling out pick 2.

Of course it's been amicable, my concern is not with North it's with the idea that Shaw is in the right place to be making those decisions and the difference in how physical and mental illness get treated. If Shaw had a heart attack he'd need all the same time and space to recover and he'd probably be of sound mind to consider his choices. Whatever has happened now almost by definition he can't be in the greatest mindset to make career altering decisions.
My point is, having a high pressure job like that hanging over his head, people questioning when he will be back, uncertainty at the club regarding its future leader etc etc etc, is not good for Shaw's mental health, the thing he's trying to get healthy.

It is better for him on a personal level to make the decision to relinquish the reigns and focus on himself without those thoughts ticking in the background.

I'm not saying all mental health issues are the same, or that Shaws situation is similar to my own, but I've been in a similar position in an extremely high pressure job, and leaving that position to focus on my own health was one of the key actions I took which got me back into a good place. Mental health problems don't make you mentally deficient, you can still make reasoned decisions, and he would have had the input and support of the club, his family and friends. In this case I believe he made the right choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back