Ross Lyon: Will He Coach Again?

Who will be the third team to be coached by Ross Lyon?

• GWS

Votes: 44 27.8%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • Ross Lyon will stay in the media

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Noth Melbourne

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Geelong

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well each to their own but I wouldn’t wish either on my worst enemies. Both complete con-artists IMO.

Might have made decent used car salesmen but both complete failures as AFL coaches.
Yet Lyon has made as many GF's as Hardwick.

Yet Lyon has made as many GF's as Hardwick.
Nice way to pick a benchmark that suits your own agenda.

I’m not going to come back and say something like “yeah but Harwick’s teams have won ...”, because we all know you need a decent dose of luck and things going right to win the things.

What I will say is that when Hardwick joined the Tigers there were problems with our club culture, supporters of other clubs were laughing at how unprofessional we were, and I think Hardwick has been instrumental in turning the club culture around. I think Harwick’s positive influence on the club will continue to guide our club even after he stops coaching us, and will probably be exported to some other clubs through our assistant coaches and former players going to coach elsewhere. I don’t think you can say that RTB has had a similar positive impact on the cultures of the club he’s been associated with.

🤛🖐🎤

I’m not going to come back and say something like “yeah but Harwick’s teams have won ...”, because we all know you need a decent dose of luck and things going right to win the things.

What I will say is that when Hardwick joined the Tigers there were problems with our club culture, supporters of other clubs were laughing at how unprofessional we were, and I think Hardwick has been instrumental in turning the club culture around. I think Harwick’s positive influence on the club will continue to guide our club even after he stops coaching us, and will probably be exported to some other clubs through our assistant coaches and former players going to coach elsewhere. I don’t think you can say that RTB has had a similar positive impact on the cultures of the club he’s been associated with.

🤛🖐🎤
What I said was merely to rubbish what you said. I have no pro Lyon agenda. Ross has his failings, some of which you have pointed out, and that I would agree with. But to say that he is a failure as a coach is rubbish. You don't make 3 GF's with 2 different clubs if you are a complete failure as a coach.

What I said was merely to rubbish what you said. I have no pro Lyon agenda. Ross has his failings, some of which you have pointed out, and that I would agree with. But to say that he is a failure as a coach is rubbish. You don't make 3 GF's with 2 different clubs if you are a complete failure as a coach.

He was handed the Saints 2007 list and Freo's 2012 list, eg, two of the better lists you'll ever see. It would have been harder to not make GF's.

The difference being that Hardwick has built up one squad capable of making the GF more than Ross Lyon has.
Wouldn't disagree with that. Never said that Lyon is capable of building his own squad, I was merely disputing the notion that Lyon is a failure as a coach, which is what he said.

He was handed the Saints 2007 list and Freo's 2012 list, eg, two of the better lists you'll ever see. It would have been harder to not make GF's.
Never said he wasn't given a good lists at both clubs, though he took over at Freo when they had made finals once in 5 years. I merely dispute the notion that he is a failure as a coach, though he does have his failings.

You going to stick to this option, or drop it - “what I said was merely to rubbish what you said” - as soon as you get challenged again?

PS. It didn’t escape notice that you ignored the main point of my post, about Harwick’s building of a positive culture compared to RTB, but that’s OK - you want to believe Ross is a good coach, then be my guest.

You going to stick to this option, or drop it - “what I said was merely to rubbish what you said” - as soon as you get challenged again?

PS. It didn’t escape notice that you ignored the main point of my post, about Harwick’s building of a positive culture compared to RTB, but that’s OK - you want to believe Ross is a good coach, then be my guest.
Did it occur to you that I ignored the main point of your post as I agreed with it and therefore felt no need to respond to it?

The only thing you said which I disagree with is that he is a failure as a coach, which I said is rubbish, and I stick to that opinion. You have proved that Hardwick is a better coach, unneccesarily, which I never disputed in the first place, I merely used him as a comparison, based on the side that you go for.

Bull crap post about freos list. So freos 2012 list was certain to make a grand final or 2 from 2012 onwards? Let me guess, Zac Dawson and Matt De Boer and Clancee Pearce should of been All Australians and brownlow medalists too?

People forget that Prior to Ross Lyon coaching freo in 2012, Freo only made finals 3 times in a 17 year period. So from 1995-2011, Freo made finals in 2003, 2006 and 2010.

Compare that to the saints in that same timeline. Made finals in 1997, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2006. 2008 (Ross Lyons 1st season he took the saints into finals), 2009, 2010 and 2011.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bull crap post about freos list. So freos 2012 list was certain to make a grand final or 2 from 2012 onwards? Let me guess, Zac Dawson and Matt De Boer and Clancee Pearce should of been All Australians and brownlow medalists too?

People forget that Prior to Ross Lyon coaching freo in 2012, Freo only made finals 3 times in a 17 year period. So from 1995-2011, Freo made finals in 2003, 2006 and 2010.

Compare that to the saints in that same timeline. Made finals in 1997, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2006. 2008 (Ross Lyons 1st season he took the saints into finals), 2009, 2010 and 2011.
Stop it Freo, your ruining the narrative.

He's a decent guy with some strong views on how the game should be played but I can't see that translating to another senior coaching gig unless he can lower his expectations and oversee a rebuild or a developing young list.

I highly doubt any club in contention would appoint him now.
He would suit your club well. Are you happy playing finals for 4 years in a row, make a grand final then drop after those 4 years of finals are done?

as i said earlier in the thread.

freo were going backwards when Ross took over. Look at the back half of Harvey’s last season. We got done by 90 points by a rubbish Melbourne team. It was embarrassing. We lost our last 6 games by an average of over 60 points before Ross took over. On the rise? Hardly.

He would suit your club well. Are you happy playing finals for 4 years in a row, make a grand final then drop after those 4 years of finals are done?

Ross would actually suit a team like North. Getting the best out of the players. North can't afford to bottom out.

Even North's list if you gave it to Ross he'd get them to the bottom half of the finals in a couple of years.

I have learned something from him every single time I've watched one of his segments on TV this year. So insightful on game plans, positioning, match ups. Not sure you can say he wont have changed or updated his game style if he came back, having had the chance to reassess other clubs' approaches as a TV commentator, being one step back from the continual business of a coach. Seems very smart to me. Some club would benefit from his wisdom in some way or other. For instance, what if he had guided Rhys Shaw this year... would his experience have helped? I suspect it would have. Maybe he could be a director of football somewhere. Just too much football brains to ignore.

He was a great coach and a really good tactician but I think he's past his prime now, wouldn't pick him up. Coaching is not just about tactics you've gotta have great relationships and energy with the players. He's too old for that.

I enjoy watching him in the media, he has good insight.

🤛🖐🎤

People on the Freo board will tell you that I'm far from being a Ross fan these days but what you're saying just isn't true.

Say what you want about Ross but his positive effect on our teams culture when he arrived was night and day.

Disagree re lists. Fremantle list was in good shape when he left, particularly with the number of games he put into Brayshaw, Cerra, Tucker etc

But that aside, coaches aren't list managers. List managers are list managers and they report to the Head of Football not the coach.
So the St Kilda list being in poor shape isn't on Ross.
StKilda went all out had a crack, just lost 2 games and then rebuilt I don’t understand how that’s a poor reflection on Ross

Oldest first-time premiership coach was Pagan @ 49. Lyon turns 54 next month and I don't see him coaching again unless he takes the North job, which he is unsuited to IMO.

No
Reasons
1. Family settled in Melbourne.
2. He has a job in the media without the pressure of a Coach.
3. Would only go to a Victorian contender
4. He tried to change his game style but didn’t know how.
5. He’s set himself up financially.
6. Clubs generally select older coaches.

Back