Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw Grant Birchall with his old man walking down the Main Street of Mansfield one day.
Both seemed happy.

Was at the chemist yesterday waiting in line to get a prescription for my daughter, when Jeanne Pratt cut the line asking for fish oil.
Then, when I left a few minutes later, she was in her bright yellow Mercedes parked on a 45 degree angle in a handicapped zone.

Hey that could have been any animated nightmarish doll in a wig

My brother saw Eddie Betts at the supermarket recently, he was complaining about it being cold in the frozen food section.

I see Brent Reilly at the shops from time to time. His arse is too big to wear skinny jeans, his wife needs to have a word.

Not AFL (I'll tie it in though) but many years ago when I worked for NAB on an IT helpdesk, I received a call about a resetting a password.
"Name?"
"Kieren Perkins"

I stayed in character but part of me was thinking "THE Kieren Perkins? No way..." But sure enough, I checked a few online articles about Perkins working at NAB... it was him.

Now, where it gets back to ex-AFL players, Olympic legends, international athletes and our surprise at them working 'ordinary' jobs, is what did I think Perkins should have been doing, now that his elite athletic career was a distant memory, he wouldn't have made enough to even dream about retiring and was probably like mid-30s at the time? It should be said that it looks like Perkins is still at NAB and in a senior role, he's no office drone. But what would be wrong with it if he was?

It was like the Open Mike with John Barnes where Barnes said he's a garbo now and it was like he'd said he was begging at Flagstaff Gardens. What should Barnes have been doing? What's wrong with being a garbo?

I've always thought that's a big reason why you hear the stories about so many ex-athletes going broke. They can't all be coaches or commentators, they don't all have trades, they haven't all done a teaching, accounting or physio degree. But it feels like it's hard for some ex-athletes to become desk jockeys, so they open restaurants or launch record labels, here it seems to be fashion labels. Things that seem to be more exciting than the standard stable, s**t kicker jobs that everyone else has, because you can't be Mark Philippoussis working as an HR rep. I never thought I'd see Allen Iverson talking about gambling on the trots and his love of multis on a gambling commercial, but he's Allen Iverson. He's got to make a quid and his options are limited.

Last edited:
My brother saw Eddie Betts at the supermarket recently, he was complaining about it being cold in the frozen food section.
Your brother or Eddie? The ambiguity of your post alone makes it too exciting for this thread.

I see Mark Lecras waling along the coast between Sorrento and North Beach most days. He is a fan of the gentle acknowledgement nod as he walks past.

It's a bit of a former West Coast Haven along there as Matt Priddis, Brett Heady and Paul Symons are out running along there most days.

Saw Dustin Martin and Dane Swan at Los Angeles airport October 2019. I went to LA, home of the rich and famous, and the only people I saw of note the whole trip were those two getting off the plane.

Saw Dustin Martin and Dane Swan at Los Angeles airport October 2019. I went to LA, home of the rich and famous, and the only people I saw of note the whole trip were those two getting off the plane.
Once went to London and the only famous person I spotted was Michael Klim. Spewin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Mark Lecras waling along the coast between Sorrento and North Beach most days. He is a fan of the gentle acknowledgement nod as he walks past.

It's a bit of a former West Coast Haven along there as Matt Priddis, Brett Heady and Paul Symons are out running along there most days.

do they all nod?

Where to begin:

Got a photo with Richo
Valet parked and helped Sheeds with his bags
Drove the wives of about 5 coaches to Brownlow night
Did Adam Goodes tie before a Brownlow night
Countless encounters with Swans players
Helped Power players during the Grand Final where they lost by lots
Met the AFL Dream Team

I see some dude jogging around my block sometimes.
He looks pretty fit and is covered in tats.
I bet he plays footy.

I don't dare ask though, the truth could blow my mind.

Wait, wat?

Where to begin:

Got a photo with Richo
Valet parked and helped Sheeds with his bags
Drove the wives of about 5 coaches to Brownlow night
Countless encounters with Swans players
Helped Power players during the Grand Final where they lost by lots
Met the AFL Dream Team
Enjoy your ban.

I was playing golf the other day at Westward Ho Golf Club near West Beach in Adelaide.

Three guys behind us were catching up so we let them play through at the start of the sixth. There was some chat about what an excellent day weather wise it was as well as the traditional self-deprecatory patter about driving into the trees. Oh, how we laughed.

it was Darcy Fogarty, Kieran Strachan and Jordan Butts (I think) of the Crows. Butts then knocked the ball about 30 m before repeating the dose twice more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back