Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Mark Williams at the age of 62 with a young list - that's a hard no from me.

I actually think he'd be an excellent coach for some of our kids - he is a strong believer in attacking football and players using their natural flair.

My initial thought when everything happened was it had to be someone experienced, but having thought about it more, 2020 was a pretty freakish year and I don't think it should be used as a yardstick for coaching appointments. Plenty of untried assistants will get jobs in the future - some will succeed and some will fail. If the most impressive candidate is someone like Mitchell who has only had 4-5 years in the system, then so be it.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mark Williams at the age of 62 with a young list - that's a hard no from me.

Yeah I liked Chocco at his best.

But I agree.

Not a perfect fit imo, mentor for sure, coach no.

However I wouldn't be upset if he got the job as at least proven in ability.

Maybe a Fagan like father figure role possible could work.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I actually think he'd be an excellent coach for some of our kids - he is a strong believer in attacking football and players using their natural flair.

My initial thought when everything happened was it had to be someone experienced, but having thought about it more, 2020 was a pretty freakish year and I don't think it should be used as a yardstick for coaching appointments. Plenty of untried assistants will get jobs in the future - some will succeed and some will fail. If the most impressive candidate is someone like Mitchell who has only had 4-5 years in the system, then so be it.
I think we need someone experienced in the sense of being in the system at least 10 years - hence not a 30 something.

But I dont think we necessarily need someone who has coached at AFL level - it would be preferred but not essential.

Someone like Kingsley appeals to me - mid 40's - good pedigree.

We obviously need to dig deep into his playing philosophy and leadership style but at face value he seems to have a good resume.

Someone in their 60's - like Williams - is just too far off imo.

Mitchell has his paws firmly entrenched on the Hawthorn position in '22.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Someone tell Chris Fagan he's too old to work with a young list and fire him then.

The arbitrary age ratio of coach to player rule is now in place!
Yeah he has done well but let's not make the exception the rule here.

Copying an unusual situation as has occurred in Brisbane and expecting the same results is not we want to be doing here.

We are looking for a long term coach after what has happened at North - we don't need a Williams type coaching into his late 60's/70's.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
What about Brad Scott as an interim?

Sorry I am Grand Final Marathoning with youtube and drinking Black Label (Wynns).

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Yeah he has done well but let's not make the exception the rule here.

Copying an unusual situation as has occurred in Brisbane and expecting the same results is not we want to be doing here.

We are looking for a long term coach after what has happened at North - we don't need a Williams type coaching into his late 60's/70's.

I agree, but if it keeps Voss away, Choco could be 90 for all I care.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For optics/PR or another reason?

I would hope we sound out a very wide range of candidates.
Not optics - I mean actual experience over a cycle of success and failure.

Look at what happened this year - AFL coaching is a tough gig - you have to have been through the ringer to understand it.

Btw I agree with interviewing widely - including a Williams type if he is interested - including a mid 30's type as well. Let's hear from them all.

I just think at the end of the process a coach in their 40's - plenty of experience, still hunting for success and still in touch with the modern game - is ideal for our situation.

Time will tell though.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I wouldn’t be against bringing Scott back.

Under his tenure....he was never allowed to do a full reset on the list. He would get that chance now.

Remember...it was his suggestion to the board that they needed change.

Too autocratic.

The club has moved on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
I'd rather a younger bloke on the way up, someone who mirrors our list and overall direction, than a been-there-and-done-that Williams/Lyon type.

Has Schofield said no to putting his name in? See names on that list of long time assistants at various successful and unsuccessful AFL clubs yet a proven premiership coach at WAFL level can't even crack a mention? Hope the club's vision is a little more expansive than that list compiler.

Also, Schoey>>>>>>>>>>>>>Voss.
Im hearing ya mate.

We’ve seen first hand how good he’s been at Subi and I’ve got a couple of mates who played under him and they reckon he’s a genius. Squeezes every ounce of ability out of his players and is tactically brilliant.

With the rebuild already in motion, he’s EXACTLY the kind of coach who would grow with his boys, he would be perfect us.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Im hearing ya mate.

We’ve seen first hand how good he’s been at Subi and I’ve got a couple of mates who played under him and they reckon he’s a genius. Squeezes every ounce of ability out of his players and is tactically brilliant.

With the rebuild already in motion, he’s EXACTLY the kind of coach who would grow with his boys, he would be perfect us.

Well let’s hope he throws his hat in the ring.

So You Think

Miracle on Arden St
Feb 28, 2011
Hotel Kensington
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
What about Brad Scott as an interim?

Sorry I am Grand Final Marathoning with youtube and drinking Black Label (Wynns).

Arrr a man after my own heart, are you drinking Wynns BL Cab or Shiraz? I suspect Cab?

I had a 2008 Cab last weekend and its was drinking magnificently.

Does anyone know who were the last three to four people to get to the final stage for the coaching position that Rhyce got.?

Thought no one applied because he was a shoo-in

So You Think

Miracle on Arden St
Feb 28, 2011
Hotel Kensington
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
I wouldn’t be against bringing Scott back.

Under his tenure....he was never allowed to do a full reset on the list. He would get that chance now.

Remember...it was his suggestion to the board that they needed change.

The trouble, well one of the main ones, was that his game plan mirrored the ones of yesterdays hero's.

When he finally decided to got proactive at the start of 2019 he totally misjudged the impact of the rule changes, it fooked us and him.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does anyone know who were the last three to four people to get to the final stage for the coaching position that Rhyce got.?

Al Clarkson, John Longmire and Adam Simpson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back