Opinion "SHINBONER" Do we really want to keep using this word? (Verdict: YES)

So You Think

Miracle on Arden St
Feb 28, 2011
Hotel Kensington
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Get write-up K7 đź‘Ť

Just from my view ( and my age ) the term was one that was drilled into me by grandparents and parents who revelled in being able to identify with that moniker. Hardworking, growing up in the area and fighting for everything on a daily basis. That's how they saw themselves as different from the succesful private school types supporting the MFC, the crims from Collingwood and the bloody Protestants up Mt. rd.

Maybe the admin's weren't to fond of it but the men / women who paid their tuppence for admittance and entertainment on a Saturday afternoon once a week had something to grab onto and feel good about themselves. Might not have bought us much as a club, but jesus, it made me feel like l belonged.

Ever see a weird bloke who shouts " carn the Shinboners " in memory of my great g.f. / g.f. / and father before the first ball is bounced, that's me.

Eddie Maguire still uses the down trodden image of Collingwood FC's origins as a tribal call to arms. Why doesn't Barrett have a crack at him and CFC every he bring this up, Oh I know, Damo might get the arse out of the media.

Btw, I virtually have identical NM origins to you and SH.

Last edited:

So You Think

Miracle on Arden St
Feb 28, 2011
Hotel Kensington
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Eddie Maguire still uses the down trodden image of Collingwood FC's origins as a tribal call to arms. Why doesn't Barrett have a got a a crack at him and CFC every he bring this up, Oh I know, Damo might get the arse out of the media.

Btw, I virtually have identical NM origins to you and SH.

and yes the Lodge was in Essendon

BlueRoos

Club Legend
Feb 13, 2007
Arden Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We are North Melbourne and we are the Shinboners. What is this pretence that somehow we have to ditch the Shinboner to be accepted or all 'grown up'? Does one question the 'Bloods Spirit"? This is not at the op, but a lot of the Shinboner criticism seems to be an attempt to devalue the club.

We are who we are, walk tall and proud.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Need a new coach and some new administration to really get it back to the way it was. Strong hard footy and playing 4 quarters where the opposition felt the game against us 2 days later. Really hope brady, blakey and whoever we get in bring's that culture of footy bas because we desperately need it.

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really. Its been used since the 1950's by proud North people. Who the fu** is anyone on here to suggest it get's changed?
No it was used long before 1950 and did not help the club. It was officially changed in 1950 to the Kangaroos. So it's already been changed. Let's go with it and leave the old illegitimate term behind.

So You Think

Miracle on Arden St
Feb 28, 2011
Hotel Kensington
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
No it was used long before 1950 and did not help the club. It was officially changed in 1950 to the Kangaroos. So it's already been changed. Let's go with it and leave the old illegitimate term behind.

I don't believe that the terms 'Kangaroos' and 'Shinboners' are mutually exclusive, in fact i believe they are mutually inclusive.

The problem with NMFC membership is simply due to demographics and bugger all to do with mascots.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
No it was used long before 1950 and did not help the club.

That is a very simplistic comment K7, and I don't have the slightest doubt that you know that.

It was officially changed in 1950 to the Kangaroos. So it's already been changed.

Not by a groundswell of the supporters, and if that had occurred it would have died out.

Let's go with it and leave the old illegitimate term behind.

"Illegitimate"?

1603574206588.png

1603573980915.png

1603574186038.png

1603574124952.png

1603574142872.png

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
I suppose that "Shinboner" will have to do for the time being, because Adelaide and Carlton are are already fighting over "Basketcase", while Saint Kilda is using "Bones of our arse broke" and Melbourne have monopolised "Pathetic". :rolleyes:

We are North Melbourne and we are the Shinboners. What is this pretence that somehow we have to ditch the Shinboner to be accepted or all 'grown up'? Does one question the 'Bloods Spirit"? This is not at the op, but a lot of the Shinboner criticism seems to be an attempt to devalue the club.

We are who we are, walk tall and proud.

I question the “Bloods spirit”. It’s horseshit.

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think I've ever used the word "Shinboner" when describing myself, and don't think anyone would know what I'm on about if I did.

It doesn't make me any less of a supporter, just means we've all grown up and found our love for the club during different eras.

I love that there's history there, adds a bit of culture and something to dig into but doubt the current and next generation of young supports give two hoots.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Yes illegitimate. A term that was allowed to be popularised but never officially adopted by the club.

The officialdom of the NMFC are elected to be the vessel of the supporters mate. They carry our will as their duty.

At least that's how it's supposed to be.

North1411

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think I've ever used the word "Shinboner" when describing myself, and don't think anyone would know what I'm on about if I did.

It doesn't make me any less of a supporter, just means we've all grown up and found our love for the club during different eras.

I love that there's history there, adds a bit of culture and something to dig into but doubt the current and next generation of young supports give two hoots.
My dad is 84, he grew up on Bellair St Kensington and his older brother played handful of games for North. Shinboner means a lot to them.

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The officialdom of the NMFC are elected to be the vessel of the supporters mate. They carry our will as their duty.

At least that's how it's supposed to be.

Then why did they never make "shinboners" the official moniker of the club if it was loved so much by so many? Because it's something only older supporters would know or identify with. No good for sponsorship. No longer relevant. Gives a negative impression to others.

North1411

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Then why did they never make "shinboners" the official moniker of the club if it was loved so much by so many? Because it's something only older supporters would know or identify with. No good for sponsorship. No longer relevant. Gives a negative impression to others.
It is only negative if you are ashamed of it and our origins. Personally I am proud of the clubs history and origins. I am proud of the success the club had early days in the VFA, I am proud that they fought hard to make it into the VFL. I am proud that over its 150 years it has continually been innovative and done things differently to the big clubs, I am proud that unlike some clubs who have moved away from their origins and homes that we have fought hard to stay at Arden St and I am not ashamed that we grew out of a working class community.

No negative impressions in my book

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Then why did they never make "shinboners" the official moniker of the club if it was loved so much by so many?

Well, they kinda have mate.

It's not as if something put forward in 1950 then becomes immutable law.

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is only negative if you are ashamed of it and our origins. Personally I am proud of the clubs history and origins. I am proud of the success the club had early days in the VFA, I am proud that they fought hard to make it into the VFL. I am proud that over its 150 years it has continually been innovative and done things differently to the big clubs, I am proud that unlike some clubs who have moved away from their origins and homes that we have fought hard to stay at Arden St and I am not ashamed that we grew out of a working class community.

No negative impressions in my book
I am just as proud of all those things too. I am not ashamed of the club's origins or background. But I still do not like the word "shinboner" regardless of where it came from. That too can be part of the club's history where it belongs.

Can you imagine the club trying to land a good sponsorship deal as "the shinboners"?

Mazda rep: OK so what are you known as?
North marketing rep: the shinboners.
Mazda rep: The what??
Marketing rep: The shinboners
Mazda rep: What's a shinboner? Er sorry mate. I don't think that really fits the company's image...Or any other for that matter. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

kangaroo7

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well, they kinda have mate.

It's not as if something put forward in 1950 then becomes immutable law.

Well they kinda haven't. The kangaroo became the official symbol in 1950 and has been ever since. It's been altered several times over the years but still a kangaroo.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Well they kinda haven't. The kangaroo became the official symbol in 1950 and has been ever since. It's been altered several times over the years but still a kangaroo.

Okay mate, feel free to embrace the kangaroo, and others can make their own choices.

I am just as proud of all those things too. I am not ashamed of the club's origins or background. But I still do not like the word "shinboner" regardless of where it came from. That too can be part of the club's history where it belongs.

Can you imagine the club trying to land a good sponsorship deal as "the shinboners"?

Mazda rep: OK so what are you known as?
North marketing rep: the shinboners.
Mazda rep: The what??
Marketing rep: The shinboners
Mazda rep: What's a shinboner? Er sorry mate. I don't think that really fits the company's image...Or any other for that matter. Good luck with that.
I hope Mazda get on board soon then

Back