Should all team Jerseys have permanent indigenous artwork

Nah. Seems a bit weird to overwrite 150 years of symbolism for the clubs with an Indigenous design made in the 2010s.

No problem with ceremonies before each game We should also have the anthem before every game.
Where do you draw the line with pompous ceremonies? Are they to be done at the commencement of each work day? At the dinner table? Before local footy games?

FreoFan85

Team Captain
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Where do you draw the line with pompous ceremonies? Are they to be done at the commencement of each work day? At the dinner table? Before local footy games?
Do you run through a banner to a pointless song every morning for work, on your way to dinner??? Sport is a gathering that has the potential to build respect why shouldnt we use it?

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If they want to have an emblem of indigenous history then why not?

hey they shouldn't but they can't be diaphanous about it all..

I like the work being produced for the jumpers as they are and well it is only creating a level of inclusion..

some say it is only token but I believe that it is inclusive of various things like the AFL do with everything else...

I was not aware all the clubs were wearing jumpers with designs 150 years old.

Also I have never seen logos from sponsors on said jumpers which clash with the colours and change every year.

Both of the things you said are wrong. You look so silly.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
The simpler the guernsey the better. Bars, stripes, hoops, wings, sash, v-neck, plain, monogram, etc. The indigenous guernseys are lovely in their own way, but a bit too full-on in aesthetic and feel more like away/clash/limited edition jumpers (jumpers that can date more quickly).

Maybe if NT get their own team they might make more of an official nod to Indigenous heritage in the initial design process. But it helps to make it simple enough that you can visualise it easily. A few elements at most. For instance, Fremantle pared down their uniform colours & design across their first 20 years.

Same deal with flags, such as the iconic Australian Aboriginal Flag. Allow the colours and configurations to signify meaning succinctly. The typical indigenous round jumpers are a bit too fanciful for that clear signifying purpose.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
OMG. This is what's wrong with society today.

No, what's wrong is trying to suppress the unsavoury element, which simply lets it bubble under.

Name and shame, in order to kill it off with a taste of its own medicine.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Maybe if NT get their own team they might make more of an official nod to Indigenous heritage in the initial design process.

More than 60% of Australia's indigenous population lives in QLD and NSW. This would be a great way to further engage people in those states in footy.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
More than 60% of Australia's indigenous population lives in QLD and NSW. This would be a great way to further engage people in those states in footy.
I've lived in various parts of regional QLD and NSW and grown up with kids from proud indigenous communities, and I think they are more open to AFL than much of the anglo population, yet they definitely produced a lot more rugby league stars, more of a recognised pathway. They aren't as Rugby obsessed as Pacific islanders, who seem to have it in their blood.

I just don't think tweaking the Swans or Lions jumper for instance with an unmistakable bit of indigenous art is going to be the answer. It would definitely be a wrong emphasis for GWS, who are in some respects a club for multicultural new Australia.

Give them star players to emulate. My first favourite players were guys like Peter Matera or Jeff Farmer. Most Australians would prefer to embrace Indigenous heritage as their own, without appropriating. Indigenous senior coaches and constitutional recognition are more important and meaningful than complicating jumper designs. The existing designs can be regarded as fairly open to interpretation anyway. Best to start from day dot with NT and Tasmania.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
No, what's wrong is trying to suppress the unsavoury element, which simply lets it bubble under.

Name and shame, in order to kill it off with a taste of its own medicine.

It is no surprise to me that mental health issues have risen alongside such attitudes and the technology that enables them.

It's very Red Guard-ish.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
It is no surprise to me that mental health issues have risen alongside such attitudes and the technology that enables them.

That's separate to the point I was originally making, but I'd agree with that.

Social media in particular fuels a lot of introspection, much of which has unhealthy results for still-developing minds.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
We should also put on traditional Chinese colours and symbols to pay respect for the Chinese-Australian contribution to our modern society.
If the Gold Coast Suns venture fails, they could become the Beijing Pandas.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes, but it’s lets take it one step further so that every special interest group is also represented so we don’t discriminate against anyone.

Every migrant, charity, religious and gender special interest group should also be on jumpers.

In fact, why can’t clubs all just wear the same jumpers so we can show we are “stronger together” and that not tolerating differences is abhorrent (unless it’s the differences a select committee of inner city female academics decide is appropriate to rail against).

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes, but it’s lets take it one step further so that every special interest group is also represented so we don’t discriminate against anyone.

Every migrant, charity, religious and gender special interest group should also be on jumpers.

In fact, why can’t clubs all just wear the same jumpers so we can show we are “stronger together” and that not tolerating differences is abhorrent (unless it’s the differences a select committee of inner city female academics decide is appropriate to rail against).

Also 50% of players must be female, unoquivically sexist if you don't agree with that.

Back