Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Philadelphia 76ers
walked sort of next to reece conca & caleb serong in broadbeach for less than a minute a month or so back. think they were going for a stroll along the beach or something.

seen a bunch of umpires who have been staying at peppers in broady too the last few months, but that's way too boring for even this thread.

SuperSteele22

Nov 6, 2011
Saw Sam Newman at a fish and chip shop in Werribee a few Sunday afternoons ago. Which was interesting because I'm pretty sure he lives in Docklands so I'm reasonably sure he was breaching Covid restrictions because I doubt he was there for work. Anyway he sat on a park bench across from the fish and chip shop down the main street and ate his lunch with a younger guy and from what I saw he seemed to be enjoying the meal

ajdude

Sep 18, 2009
saw Jason Akermanis at one of the BP service stations with all the fast food joints on the freeway near Officer. pretty sure it was inbound to the city, not the one on the opposite side of the road which is outbound to Gippsland. believe I was eating a large McChicken meal (coke for the drink, goes without saying though). said "g'day Aker", he said "g'day" and kept moving, to the bathroom from memory.

Was at the chemist yesterday waiting in line to get a prescription for my daughter, when Jeanne Pratt cut the line pulled out a shotgun, and asked for fish oil. Then, when I left a few minutes later, she was in her getaway car, a bright yellow Mercedes parked on a 45 degree angle in a handicapped zone and she sped off, with the cops in hot pursuit.

Edited for shits and giggles

Wouldn’t say boring but more so strangely awkward. It was early hours on a Sunday morning, I was heading fishing and stopped in at Grantville servo to grab a bag of ice. Noticed a bloke smoking a dart out the front wearing a suit, looks as though he had a pretty big night... I knew I’d seen this bloke somewhere before but couldn’t put my finger on it.. after a while of starring at him, I finally figured out it was Dion Prestia lol. He noticed me starring and kind of just gave me a head nod and a smile lol

doyley

Oct 24, 2020
Saw Barry hall at Woolworths Kew. Was using the self serve checkouts and when it played up he had an all mighty pissed off and upset look on his face. From what I could tell it wasn’t the angry look on the afl field either.

Bungeye

Aug 19, 2017
Seeing Caleb Daniel riding his bicycle with a helmet on.

Aug 2, 2012
Bicycles need all the protection they can get.

Sep 27, 2008
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Mark Bayes went to my high school. Never directly crossed his path though, he left about 5 years before I started there.

Danny Southern went to my primary school, he also lived in the same street as me so we crossed paths regularly.

Did he have training wheels? I could imagine him riding one of those bikes that little kids ride.

Bungeye

Aug 19, 2017
Danny Southern went to my primary school, he also lived in the same street as me so we crossed paths regularly.

Did he have training wheels? I could imagine him riding one of those bikes that little kids ride.
He probably did. However, I was too busy fixated on the helmet to notice.

Prestigerrycomo

Apr 4, 2009
Saw Sam Newman at a fish and chip shop in Werribee a few Sunday afternoons ago. Which was interesting because I'm pretty sure he lives in Docklands so I'm reasonably sure he was breaching Covid restrictions because I doubt he was there for work. Anyway he sat on a park bench across from the fish and chip shop down the main street and ate his lunch with a younger guy and from what I saw he seemed to be enjoying the meal

Guessing it was Kippers?

freddy mercury

Mar 20, 2009
Tasmania
Jacksonville
Ah well

May 2, 2006
East Fremantle
Dane Zorko was at the 7-11 opposite the Gabba behind me a few weeks ago, they day after he was doing 'roaming Brian' and the mic cut out.

Thought I'd gee him up a bit about it;

Me - "Hey mate, how long before you realised the mic was off during roaming Brian last night?"

Zorko - "Yeah they didn't tell me." (note - didn't give me a timeframe on how long before he knew..)

Me - "Don't worry, it was still better than BT."

Zorko - crickets....

Me - "Good luck for the season."

Zorko - "Cheers mate".

Sep 27, 2008
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Dane Zorko was at the 7-11 opposite the Gabba behind me a few weeks ago, they day after he was doing 'roaming Brian' and the mic cut out.

Thought I'd gee him up a bit about it;

Me - "Hey mate, how long before you realised the mic was off during roaming Brian last night?"

Zorko - "Yeah they didn't tell me." (note - didn't give me a timeframe on how long before he knew..)

Me - "Don't worry, it was still better than BT."

Zorko - crickets....

Me - "Good luck for the season."

Zorko - "Cheers mate".

You should have asked him about the time BT accidentally called him Zane Dorko.

Aug 17, 2007
The Autobots and Team America
Not AFL (I'll tie it in though) but many years ago when I worked for NAB on an IT helpdesk, I received a call about a resetting a password.
"Name?"
"Kieren Perkins"

I stayed in character but part of me was thinking "THE Kieren Perkins? No way..." But sure enough, I checked a few online articles about Perkins working at NAB... it was him.

Now, where it gets back to ex-AFL players, Olympic legends, international athletes and our surprise at them working 'ordinary' jobs, is what did I think Perkins should have been doing, now that his elite athletic career was a distant memory, he wouldn't have made enough to even dream about retiring and was probably like mid-30s at the time? It should be said that it looks like Perkins is still at NAB and in a senior role, he's no office drone. But what would be wrong with it if he was?

It was like the Open Mike with John Barnes where Barnes said he's a garbo now and it was like he'd said he was begging at Flagstaff Gardens. What should Barnes have been doing? What's wrong with being a garbo?

I've always thought that's a big reason why you hear the stories about so many ex-athletes going broke. They can't all be coaches or commentators, they don't all have trades, they haven't all done a teaching, accounting or physio degree. But it feels like it's hard for some ex-athletes to become desk jockeys, so they open restaurants or launch record labels, here it seems to be fashion labels. Things that seem to be more exciting than the standard stable, sh*t kicker jobs that everyone else has, because you can't be Mark Philippoussis working as an HR rep. I never thought I'd see Allen Iverson talking about gambling on the trots and his love of multis on a gambling commercial, but he's Allen Iverson. He's got to make a quid and his options are limited.
Does Perkins still put his name on his milk in the employee fridge?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Apr 25, 2012
stirling senators
Saw Jake Waterman at a pet store north of the river.He was wearing shorts and a blue singlet .I believe he purchased pet food ,possibly for a pet.

Tom Lynch used to come into the Tip at my old work a fair bit. As my old workplace was filled with Richmond supporters he used to get the silver service.

Never had to through his own rubbish out.

Not really my encounter but I heard about it enough when I'd go up the tip at the end of the shift lol.